Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: .250 Savage cast load

Boolit Master

.250 Savage cast load

I noticed there is no load data on gunloads for .250 sav. So for my fellow casters who shoot the .250-3000, here is a very, very light cast load that hits exactly the same poi at 100 yards as my deer loads, which are also listed below. It is extremely quiet and has almost no recoil.

74gr cast boolit (lee gas check mould for 25-20) with a level scoop of unique from a 052 lee dip. I load the round to 2.28in o.a.l. very fun load. in my rifle it hits the same as the two following loads.

100gr rem cor-lokt, 2.45" oal, rem 9 1/2 primer, 35.5gr 4320.

117gr sierra game king, 2.48 oal, 35g imr 4350, cci 200 primer.

in my rifle ( a sporterized sweedish mauser with a shilen semi-bull barrel) all three of these loads will shoot .75moa or better at 100 yards. with the light cast load, accuracy quickly vanishes past 100yrds, but makes a great practice/small game load.
    I hope one of you will find this load interesting, if any of you have other .250 savage cast load data please add it to this thread, im always looking for new loads.

Boolit Master

This may have been an inappropriate section of castboolits to post this thread, sorry about that, special projects is the only one i really follow.

I would also like to hear what others might have found useful as a plinking loads for this round. Hopefully others will chime in.

Boolit Master

its just me and you....lol

Boolit Master

Cool

82nd, thanks for the info, soon as I can round up some brass I'll give it a try in my 99. Do you know what weight that dipper throws ? Also what twist is your barrel, the 99's a 1 in 14.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

I'm watching as well. I am babysitting a 99 that hasn't been fired in a couple years and would like to try some cast boolits out in it. I may be inheriting it in the next couple years and have dies for it already. Will just need to pick up a mold or two if I can find something that it shoots well. The last 99 I had wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn from 100 yds with anything! (got rid of it almost 30 years ago now.)

Boolit Master

mike, i think it was 4.5gr, but dont take that for fact yet, let me measure and get back to you on that.
    ive also got a 300 sav. im building on a 91 argentine mauser, its almost done. you guys have any good light cast loads for that?

Boolit Mold

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by 82nd airborne View Post
    This may have been an inappropriate section of castboolits to post this thread, sorry about that, special projects is the only one i really follow.
    i am still trying to find a 25 cal100- 125 or so bullet mold any help out there for 257 roberts

Wolf, NOE has a few in stock right now. Check them out. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...0mk4c5empe2mn6
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both
    Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Mold
    yah i know 82nd im 101st

Boolit Mold
    thanks got 3 molds

Banned

I noticed there is no load data on gunloads for .250 sav. So for my fellow casters who shoot the .250-3000, here is a very, very light cast load that hits exactly the same poi at 100 yards as my deer loads, which are also listed below. It is extremely quiet and has almost no recoil.

74gr cast boolit (lee gas check mould for 25-20) with a level scoop of unique from a 052 lee dip. I load the round to 2.28in o.a.l. very fun load. in my rifle it hits the same as the two following loads.

in my rifle ( a sporterized sweedish mauser with a shilen semi-bull barrel) all three of these loads will shoot .75moa or better at 100 yards. with the light cast load, accuracy quickly vanishes past 100yrds, but makes a great practice/small game load.
    I hope one of you will find this load interesting, if any of you have other .250 savage cast load data please add it to this thread, im always looking for new loads.
    Are you shooting that Lee bullet with a gas check or without? The only .25 bullet mold I have is an ancient Ideal with integral handles for the .25-20 (I think) that should be in that ball park for weight, but it's a plain base.

I'm gonna try to deer hunt with my '99 in .250, I need a good jacketed load first, but then I'll want a practice load.

Boolit Master

I have one of the NOE molds, drops 90, 100, & 120. Have a 257 Bob also. Waiting on g/c's to show. The 90 is a plain base, both the others are g/c's.
    The 3rd Lyman cast book has some 120 gr loads if that helps for the 300 Sav. Think most any one for a 30-30 will work.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Is that a group buy mould? I wish Lee would make a six cavity 257420, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1954 View Post
    i am still trying to find a 25 cal100- 125 or so bullet mold any help out there for 257 roberts
    I have had great luck with the 120 grain RCBS boolit in a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Just make sure the long nose is a snug fit in the bore.