WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trail Boss and the 7.62X54R out of an MN 91/30

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I don't see the value in doing that unless it's corrosive ammo. Even then, you still have a corrosive primer I think.
    One value is that the complete (corrosive) surplus round costs less than a jacketed bullet -- comparable to a commercially cast boolit, in fact, if you buy enough of 'em at once. This method also doesn't require buying brass, powder, and primers, just powder.

That said, there may be issues with pulling bullets from surplus ammo; most if not all are sealed into the case neck in some manner, and the ones I've looked at closely (Bulgarian 1972 and Russian 1973, both silver tip 147 grain steel core/jacket) have a pretty heavy crimp, making it difficult to pull the bullets without marring them (may or may not matter for a plinking round). As noted, they're still corrosive primed, so you have to clean thoroughly after every shooting session, even a single round. Still, if you're after recoil reduction, there are some good things along this path; one to try is reloading the cases with the original powder, but use half to 2/3 as much with a little wad of polyfill (half a grain, maybe?) to hold the powder at the head end of the case to ensure good ignition (won't even use up your Trailboss, and you get a little Russian etc. military powder for other uses, if you can find data for it -- though you get two or three times as much with the Trailboss refill).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaucho Gringo View Post
    I have an idea and this thread seems about as good a place as any to post it. I am trying for reduced recoil 7.62x54r load using mostly what I already have paid for. I have some copper washed steel case surplus ammo. I was thinking of pulling the bullets and replacing the existing powder with Trail Boss and reseating the bullets. I realize that steel cases are generally not reloadable but do any of you think this would be possible to do? Comments either way are appreciated. Thank you.
    Shouldn't be a problem,I've pulled down 50's brass case Bulgarian and 70's Russian steel case ammo and never found any sealant. I used my bullet seater die to reseat the bullet down about 1/8 th inch deeper into to case to loosen the crimp on the bullet and them pulled it fairly easily. It'sa good idea to neck size the case before reseating the bullet.

I've never tried reduced loads using J bullets or used Trail Boss,I do all my reduced loads using Bullseye,2400 and Red Dot with 90 to 170 gr. cast bullets. I have Mexican Matched surplus FMJ's with SP bullets of equal or lesser weight using the original factory powder to make hunting ammo when boxer primed brass was not available or factory SP ammo cost about $1 per rd. locally.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't worked up anything for my Mosin carbine yet, but I had a great experience with 12.4 grains of Trail Boss in 30-40 Krag. Next up is the 7.92 Mauser -- and then I'll get to the Mosin.

Yall got me wondering if these Trail Boss loadings work with paper patched soft boolits.

Boolit Master
    Trail boss works, I worked up a subsonic load with solo 1000 as I had a big keg of it, looking for places to use it. Works in all my subsonic stuff.

The primer is the corrosive part of the ammo, so pulled steel stuff your still shooting corrosive ammo.

I have used the lyman 200gr in my mosin, shoots really well, as does the NOE 230gr for the blackout. Subsonic work great, cant push them hard tho.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice for a hand cast....I have the MN sniper bug...love these milsurps

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Cmasailor, I have two of the 8x56R rifles and two carbines. I have scout mount scopes on both rifles and one on one carbine. so far my best load is about 16.5gr's of 2400. 10 gr's of Red dot is a little weak and 10 gr's of Trail boss is a little weak.I shot them last Sunday. my plan is to increase the red dot to 12-13 gr's and the trail boss about the same. "O" I pour the lee .338 bullets and after powder coating them resizing them to .334. they seem to be pretty accurate. but now that our summer is over I'll be working on uppering the powder charge on the RD and TB. with these bullets. ( I have a problem with heat!). i'd love to take one nurtra hunting down here in south east TExas. that would be fun!.

Boolit Buddy
    if you live any where close to Houston Texas, I can show you how to pull the spent primers off of berdan cases.(it's a tool I make out of a "punch") I use to have berdan primers but they're gone now. but they are on the market once in a while. (I was only able to do rifle cases because they where large rifle primers.) I could load any large rifle cases that where berdan primed.

Nice shooting!

Trail Boss, the magic powder that's now banned in the UK, god, my country sucks sometimes....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12