RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Sizing from .314 to .309

Sizing from .314 to .309

Just cast up a bunch of the NOE 314-129, and they drop .314, I've been told to lube them in a .313//.314 H&I die to keep the lube groove open, then use a push through Lee type die to size them to .309.
    With little or no lube on the bands I'm wondering if I shouldn't use some sort of lube on the bands before pushing them through the push through die ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Wayne, Fill the grooves with a lube stiffer than liquid alox, then size to .309". That should practically eliminate their collapse.

M, That was the plan, I was a little anal about the friction on the bands w/ no lube on them, IF I run into what I see as a problem I'll give them a tough a Imperial case sizing lube.

Thanks
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master
    Either do it in steps or make sure your sizer is anchored solid.
    If distorted, do it in stages.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    I lube in all of my 30 cal boolits in a .313 die, then if needed I send them thru a .311" Lee die. There will be enough lube on your fingers to ease the passage thru the Lee die, it doesn't take much.

Someday when I have some extra money, (yeah right) I need to get a .311 H&I die.

Robert

Boolit Master

Once the lube grooves are loaded with a stiff lube then dip the cases in dawn and water and run them thru a Lee push thru sizer. It loves that dawn. Makes the going easy and gets the job done. Just a shallow dish of water with some dawn and you dip every 3rd case and run them thru.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    If you happen to have a .311 die around, skip the .313/.314 step, and go .311, then .309. Anything oily or greasy will lube them enough for that. I frequently use cooking spray.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

In Remembrance

Wayne, the lube in the grooves is to support the lands while being sized, but is also an aid to reducing friction during sizing. I prefer to use a Lee die to size down more than .002 to avoid bending the boolit or deforming the nose.