Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .455 Webley "manstopper"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I use an old RCBS .45 Auto Rim roll crimp seater which has a wadcutter seating plug. I also use the longer 0.87" Mk1 cases from Reed's Custom Ammo, because they reduce bullet jump in the Webley chamber, compared to the shorter Starline, Hornady or Fiocchi Mk2 cases.
    Good to know that is an option. Currently I have 100 rounds of the Mk II brass so I was hoping to get something working with that but maybe I can pick up some of the longer Mk I brass to try with this. I'm guessing its gonna take some experimentation either way. I'm just trying to save a little coin by seeing who has the easiest setup and hopefully using some dies that I already have available to me without hardly any modification.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Operator119 View Post
    Good to know that is an option. Currently I have 100 rounds of the Mk II brass so I was hoping to get something working with that but maybe I can pick up some of the longer Mk I brass to try with this. I'm guessing its gonna take some experimentation either way. I'm just trying to save a little coin by seeing who has the easiest setup and hopefully using some dies that I already have available to me without hardly any modification.
    .45 GAP dies will work with Mk2 cases, if you can live with a taper crimp.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Ah......swaged, of course. Makes sense and must have been "cutting edge" technology at the time.
    The Pritchett bullets for the P53 Enfield musket were swaged. One reason British cartridges were preferred by soldiers on both sides of the Civil War.

Boolit Master
    I seem to remember reading in "Handloading" magazine some time ago that shooting the stock standard .45ACP in a Webley was the same as shooting a .455 proof load in it every time you pull the trigger. The .455 was loaded to lower pressures. I have seen a few .455's Webleys (very few), but there seem to be more Colt and S&W 1917's in that caliber, at least around here. At least I know that they could handle .45ACP's without any worry.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Rechambering the French Ordnance revolver to .45 ACP, as was sometimes done during WW2, does the same thing, can't upload picture of blown cylinder from my phone, but will try later.

Attachment 233402

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    I seem to remember reading in "Handloading" magazine some time ago that shooting the stock standard .45ACP in a Webley was the same as shooting a .455 proof load in it every time you pull the trigger. The .455 was loaded to lower pressures. I have seen a few .455's Webleys (very few), but there seem to be more Colt and S&W 1917's in that caliber, at least around here. At least I know that they could handle .45ACP's without any worry.
    Attachment 233403 Safe .455 load data from Larry Gibson.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    I remember reading that as well. If I had one with a shaved cylinder I'd load it fairly light. But I have an unshaved .455 so I am gonna try an either modify my seating die or use the flat nosed seating die from either my 45LC or 45ACP die set to seat the bullets without deforming them.

Boolit Bub
    Matt's Bullets makes a hollow-base wadcutter for .45 Colt that shoots quite well in .455. If you had the equipment would be fairly easy to mill a bit of a hollow in the nose.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe Matt's just says to turn their HBWC around and use a hollow points. They look deadly.

Boolit Master

Banned
    Lee makes a fine 3 die 445 Webley die set. If you wish to duplicate manstopper performance, just load a hollow base wadcutter backwards. The 455 is rather anemic in today's world. But fun to shoot as recoil is very low.

Boolit Buddy
    I had Dave Corbin make me an ‘ M’ die set to swage these; basically, it was a HB nose and base punch set, to which I added a 1-E point former to slightly close the resultant huge cup point. Pure lead of course, and tricky to seat without deformation. A fun project back in the day when I had a few Webley .455’s.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Britishbullets2-vi.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	259957

Boolit Master

I think Charter should chamber the Bulldog XL in .455. Maybe in .45 Cowboy. .45Colt seems like overkill in a pocket gun. JMHO-YMMV.......
    Last edited by ddixie884; 04-08-2020 at 01:25 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Britishbullets2-vi.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	259957
    Miha did a group buy on the Webley Mk IV a couple of years ago. I got one and it is an awesome bullet.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12