Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Spray-on dry lube

Boolit Buddy

Spray-on dry lube

Has anyone out there tried any of the industrial spray-on lubes on the market? I was thinking something with teflon and/or moly that I could coat the bullet with before sizing. Something that would completely dry on the surface and be compressed into the bullet when sized. I have a teflon lube that I got some time ago but have not tried yet........................Ray

Banned

teflon bad.

Boolit Grand Master

I have some dry spray from Caterpillar. Not sure of the name, it's out in the shed still packed. Cat sells it for a heavy duty dry lube for booms, outriggers, etc., on their construction equipment. I just moved so my experiment has been interrupted but I have several to load up. I took some .44 250 gr. SWC bullets, placed them nose down in holes drilled in a piece of scrap wood, and sprayed a couple coats of the Cat lube on them. Looks great, satiny dark gray coating. Seems to stick to the bullet well. I'll be shooting them in my .44 Special and .44 Mag. to see if it works.

"Teflon" is a marketing term for PTFE. Also known as "micronized polyethelene". It can act as a hardening agent for paraffin and other waxes. IMO it is not an adequate lube and causes some trouble. I have an can of "blaster" TDL. Which is nothing more than PTFE with a co2 propellant. The only benefit I have found is that it will "harden" a wax based lube. There are different variations on PTFE's and micro-polymers, but I have had trouble getting small sample batches to try out. They are used in commercial printing inks and silk screening process' and only seem to be available in LARGE quantities.

Boolit Buddy

Spray-on dri-lubes

Thanks so much for the responces. Are there any really good spray-on lubes with moly that actually dry to the touch? I have tried more than a couple over the years and have found only one or 2 that actually dry to the touch and don't rub off. They were VERY expensive..........................Ray

Banned

if there were, i wouldn't have three stars.
    i like to cast and shoot alot and wouldn't waste the time sizing and lubing if my lazy butt didn't have to.

Boolit Master
    A lot of us who used to shoot steel plate matches with 45's used hard cast bullets. However most of us would get spray moly from a industrial supply house. I had my own cookie trays (cheap aluminum) stick about 3-400 on it and spray away. In hot weather the spray would dry in about 1 minute. Had very little leading after 300 rounds. Frank

Boolit Master
    Thers the midway mold release that is graphite.I have never tryed it, But I have thought about it...Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

I tried both moly and graphite spray and powdered in a tumbler. Would work in some guns with some loads.

Seemed to work o.k. in a 38 Special with light loads. My 1911 45ACP did not like it. Rifles were a horrible failure.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    teflon bad.
    Why teflon bad?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin 56 View Post
    Why teflon bad?
    Teflon burn, make doodoo in barrel.

Gear

Dry Moly Lube

The other day i smelted down 300lbs of WW's. The first tray of lead muffins stuck. So i heated the trays to get them out and tried some Force 842 Dry Moly Lubricant. Worked like a damn. Being that it was good for 842 degrees i i used it on the sprue plate of my mold as well. Drys fast works well.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!