MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lampblack recipe?

Boolit Grand Master
    Whatsamatter with using a Sharpie or Marks-A-Lot? It can be cleaned off easily with a little Gun Scrubber.

Boolit Grand Master

I MUCH prefer the use of an aerosol sight black. The Sharpie does not do nearly as well. It is too shiny in my opinion. Whereas the aerosol is matt black and doesn't reflect - gives a much better sight picture.

FWIW
    Dale53

After a search i found this link for making your own lampblack:http://www.jcsparks.com/painted/recipes.html#Lampblack
    I use my Zippo for the open sights and i dont use the clean fuel, for my taste i use petrol with a few procents oil in it but i dont have any red or white or..whatever inserts (hate them)
    In the army on the shooting range we used the patch that we removed any grease and oil from the barel with, and it produced a fine soot thanks to the army grease .
    We did a lot of demolition work and we also soon find out that the the plastic explosive (similar to yours c4) produced a fine black smoke when ignited with a lighter But nowdays, i have to use my zippo

Simply the best method from the old days is to soot sights with the smoke from burning birch bark. No need to cook the sights with flame, no shine at all, no oily appearance like you might get with zippo's and other fuel burners, just dead black sights fast. No durable of course, but clean it and soot it again when ever necessary. Okay, if you don't have birch wood around it could be a problem... This is one of the oldest mold cavity sooting methods as well.

You guys....

I already KNOW soot works good, that's what I use one steel sights, just a plain old match or Bic lighter. I'm hunting for a "paint on" or "spray on" or "rub on" or whatever to get the same flat black appearance on front sights with a PLASTIC insert.

Sharpies, paint etc is way too shiney in bright sunlight....

FLAMES MELT PLASTIC! (As I explained in the first post )

Dennis

Boolit Grand Master

I think you are missing the point you are sooting the sight not cooking it. The flame is way below the sight, if you do it proper you can soot your hand without burning it. Especially with a carbide burner and you get a lot of soot and it rises well. I sooted my M19 red ramp till I shot out the gun and never ruined the sight.

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO
    I think you are missing the point you are sooting the sight not cooking it. The flame is way below the sight, if you do it proper you can soot your hand without burning it. Especially with a carbide burner and you get a lot of soot and it rises well. I sooted my M19 red ramp till I shot out the gun and never ruined the sight.

Hmmmmm....

I have a "melted appearance" on the orange front sight of MY Model 19......

Dennis

Banned
    Bowflage

It is a flat removaeable spray paint for bowhunters not wanting to permanently "ugly" their bow up. I used it on a custom recurve for years, it is durable enough to stick, but comes off with mineral spirits real quick. Haven't seen it in awhile, but then again I have not looked either.

Boolit Master

Dennis, ask mama for one of her mascaras. I just looked at one my wife has. A black stuff in some sort of carrier. It even comes with an applicator brush. Wipes of with a paper towel too...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucks Owin View Post
    I'd like to know if anybody has a recipe for making lampblack? "Sooting up" my front sights made of steel is done quickly with a Bic lighter but that's not the "hot" setup for sights with colored plastic inserts!
    I suppose someone makes it by the bottle, although I can't find any locally. It can't be "too" hard to make is it? Dennis
    Sorry I found this thread so late, but there's a very easy, simple and cheap answer to your problem: Lambplack is a widely used paint colorant, and you can get it by the bag from most any paint mfg if three's one in convenient range of your place. If not, go to the nearest paint store with a little baby food jar (Clean!) and ask the clerk that tints the paint to give you some black tint. You can get it in water base or solvent base. I'd recommend the solvent, but the water is more common. Brush it on with a matchstick. It should dry to a low gloss dead black surface for your sights.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

if you have an acetylene/oxygen torch setup you have the carbide lamp you need. light the acet, no oxygen, and let it black a small piece of metal. then transfer the soot from metal, either with a carrier or dry, to the sight. but alot of the other methods above are the proper way. I keep threatening to buy a carbide lamp, there are two of them that have never been used and a 1lb can of carbide all for a pretty good price. But then I think, I have the torch in the garage, just collect a little and use that.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw