WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Need help, 1904 38

Boolit Mold

Need help, 1904 38

Picked up a 1904 S&W 38 Special. Barrel looks shot out.
    Anyone here that can put me into a mould or bullets that
    mic out to .362-.364 so I can see if I want to rebarrel or
    shoot it?

Boolit Grand Master

Is it a .38 Special or a .38 S&W? Two different rounds with different diameter boolits. The S&W is a low pressure round compared to the Special. The S&W typically goes .360+ which makes me ask the question, give that I have no idea how much or how little you know about the history of firearms.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    Well, I measured the chamber mouths and I want to know how the barrel shoots,
    not how the chambers affect it. I know the difference and I want a 38 S&W bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaride View Post
    Well, I measured the chamber mouths and I want to know how the barrel shoots,
    not how the chambers affect it. I know the difference and I want a 38 S&W bullet.
    Well if it's a .38 S&W, that's an entirely different caridge from the S&# .38 Special. Unless someone has rechambered the gun to .38 S&W Special from an original .38 S&W, .38 Spl. rounds will not chamber. If it is a rechamber job, shoting .38 Spl. ammo in the gun is potentially hazardous to your heath as the chambers would be a bit too fat and the Spl. rounds a tad too skinny and could burst. Best solution would be to find some .38 S&W ammo (not the Spl.) and if it chambers, then you know for sure. If it does not chamber, then you can be certain that it is a proper .38 Spl. The fact that you need a bullet that fat makes me suspect your gun was a .38 S&W that had the chamber lengthened to accept .38 Spl. ammo, a very dumb idea.

I only bring this up because a friend once bought an S&W Victory model that was supposed to be a .38 Spl. Fired cases were blown out of shape way oversized and accuracy went down the crapper to put it as kindly as possible. I had a couple of old black powder .38 S&W rounds in my collection and they chambered just fine. I bought a box of the proper ammo and they shot just fine with no brass problems.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're doing but I want to make sure that there is no confusion between the two cartridges. FWIW, in 1904, the fatter .38 S&W cartridge was still quite popular so I think you should get that checked out.

Paul B.
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMORON PROMULGATED BY MORONS.

Boolit Mold
    Paul,

Good point I will check the chambers