RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: 500 grain LEE boolit!

Boolit Master

500 grain LEE boolit!

45/70will expand! I went to the range to try out some hog loads and dug one out of the berm that had expanded from .439 nose to .883 the base went from .459 to .465 all the groves were compressed and almost non existent. I know sand is a bad medium but that is all I have. The alloy was aprox Lyman #2 using bees wax and lithium grease. 1300 fps + or - a few fps.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    In sand they will expand but I have shot game with a 500 gr bullet cast from 30-1 alloy and at BP velocities (Approx 1200 fps) they did not expand much at all. 45 hole going in and a 45 hole going out but they did the critter in.

Boolit Master
    If you need a 45-70 boolit to expand, use the 50-70 instead. It starts out at where many shooters want their boolits want to end up.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 08-12-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    If you need a 45-70 boolit to expand, use the 50-70 instead. It starts out at where many shooter want their boolits want to end up.
    Agreed, but I have this M1867 RRB that is perfect and no money. I have a Shiloh long range express that the 1867 will shoot just as well and is a whole lot lighter to carry on a hog hunt. Plus I can't bring myself to dragging the Shiloh in such conditions.
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    If you really NEED a bigger hole in a light handy rifle get you one of those new levers in 500 S&W. A bit pricey but not as much as a Shiloh. You can see one being shot and the review on GunBlasts.com.

Tom

Boolit Master
    Freightman,

Not knowing what you shoot (black or smokeless) will make a difference but most of us using black powder use a softer alloy, 30-1 (Lead - tin) or less. I have gone as soft as 40-1 but settled on 30-1. At the velocities I get with black powder, that alloy will expand some yet hold together and keep going.

I like your rolling block, when do we get to see it? (I have an 1866 trapdoor I cobbled together and wrote up a while ago.) Always enjoys seeing what other have in the line of old rifles.

As for the 500 S&W, personally I have no use for it. Or many of the cartridges that came along after I was born.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Here it is
    Last edited by Freightman; 09-04-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Frank G.