Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 303 British Barrel Twists

Boolit Master

303 British Barrel Twists

Does anyone know the twists for the the different groove barrels?

In Remembrance

All 1 turn in 10 inches. Groove number does not matter, nor manufacturer--Well, maybe it does if made near the Kyber Pass, but not British, Australian, American, or Indian armories.

Canadian armoury as well ie Longbranch

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Only pre WW2 savage six groove barrels vary from the 1:10 twist rate. Those barrels were made using a odd twist between 9 and 10 to the inch, due to Savage adapting the machinery used for a previous Lebel barrel contract to produce the first few barrels for trials. Savage commercial sporter bores often have un even number twist rates, which usually results in outstanding accuracy.

The six groove Savage trials rifles were among the first converted to scoped sniper rifles.

There are apparently a few No.4 rifles which were rebarreled using a different six groove barrel either post war or late WW2. They say these barrels were made by adapting MG or LMG barrel making machinery to the purpose. Don't know much about those, some came in from Greece a few years back.

Boolit Master

Interesting info, Thanks.

In Remembrance

I have a Savage 2CXXX early 6-groove and a CNo4Mk1* Longbranch with a 6 groove barrel made for the .303 machine gun. Both are 1 turn in 10" twist.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    I have a Savage 2CXXX early 6-groove and a CNo4Mk1* Longbranch with a 6 groove barrel made for the .303 machine gun. Both are 1 turn in 10" twist.
    Is your Longbranch barrel a righthand twist?
    Eighth Variation: 6 Groove Right hand twist found on No 4 MKI* Canadian Rifles (1950's Long Branch) Designated the "C MK 4" readily identified by the "6" on the Right Bayo lug..
    PS
    According to one source there have been early Savage No.4 barrels found to have a 1:10.5 twist, a slower twist rather than faster as I'd thought.
    I doubt theres much in the way of hard evidence on the early variations, Trials rifles were limited production and often tested to destruction.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 03-28-2010 at 11:26 PM.

In Remembrance

Now I'll have to dig them out of the safe and have another look. I'm petty sure the Longbranch Bren-barreled gun is right hand twist and I'll look for the "6" on the bayonet lug. I measured the early Stevens/Savage gun years ago when a shooting buddy claimed ther were rifled with a 1 in 8" twist. I'm not sure I would have noticed an additional .5 one way on another using my "tight patch on a cleaning rod" method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Now I'll have to dig them out of the safe and have another look. I'm petty sure the Longbranch Bren-barreled gun is right hand twist and I'll look for the "6" on the bayonet lug. I measured the early Stevens/Savage gun years ago when a shooting buddy claimed ther were rifled with a 1 in 8" twist. I'm not sure I would have noticed an additional .5 one way on another using my "tight patch on a cleaning rod" method.
    I'd be pleased to hear of your shooting results using the right hand twist.
    Since the action body flex of the Enfield (much more noticable with the No.1 than with the No.4) throws the point of impact to the left, and normal gyroscopic bullet "drill" tends to walk the POI towards the left as well when a lefthand twist is used, I often wondered if a right hand twist would counteract action body flex, eliminating the need for the slightly off set front sight base.

On the otherhand having both factors at work in the same direction may have made it easier to compensate for consistently.

Also it occurs to me that if the 1:10 twist was found to be optimal for the earlier 200+ grain bullets of the MkVI and previous loads, that a slightly slower twist might be better suited to the 174 grain bullet of the MkVII loads.

In Remembrance

I have not shot the Stevens/Savage rifle in many years as I have other models that are not as rare/valuable (to me anyway) It was a good but not exceptional shooter. The Longbranch CNo4Mk1* is an exceptional shooter. I believe it was part of the Greek shipment that came into the US in the late 1990s. I bought it in '98 from Brian Dick Longarms and fitted a PH5 sight. It is the most accurate .303 Enfield I have with both cast and condum slugs. I credit this to a tight (.303/.313) bore and barely worn .314 throat. Of course, Longbranch original walnut stock and all matching numbers and the fact that it was properly stored before coming into my hands may have something to do with that too.