RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Moly lithium grease based lubes?

Moly lithium grease based lubes?

I found a large tube of moly lithium grease in my garage and was kickin around the idea of using it for a batch of homemade lube. I would be using such on heavy-weight .45 Colt cast boolits.

I've seen some mixtures that use such greases in equal parts with beeswax.

Any other suggestions?

I use white lithium from a grease gun cartridge, 1 lb beeswax and a 1/4lb of parrafin. Works good for me. I acutally got the lube from ammosmith.com.

I'd go for it with making the lube.

Banned

you should be able to adjust the firmness easily enough.
    i have been working with solid moly sticks,white lith,some carnuba red,and micro parrafin,
    with a b-wax carrier.
    so far it has performed stellarly in my 41, mag and i should be trying it in the rifles this summer.

Ah, .41 Magnum would be another cartridge to use this in. I've got some 410610 Lyman mold bullets too.

Banned

i heat the moly [it holds heat well] melt the b-wax and use a hand blender till it cools or the solid moly tries to fall out of the b-wax.
    melt everything first,add the moly, blend till it starts to cool. then add the white lith keep blending on low speed till it cools enough. [you'll know]
    let it cool and try the squeeze test between your fingers if it takes a bit of pressure and warmth for the moly to come out you got it.
    the white lith should keep the lube from becoming crumbly and adds to the lube mix, just keep it down to about 10-15% of the total.

Boolit Master
    I use 3pt bees wax + 1 pt lithium greese + carnuba to harden to taste.
    I no longer use anything else!!!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

3:1 ratio instead of 1:1 on the beeswax to lithium grease?

Boolit Master
    yep, 3 bees wax to 1 greese. I melt it in a old crock pot outside not too hot as these ingrededents have a flash point, but all others do too . I mix it with a cheep wisk. It takes a wile to get it smooth.
    It works great from low press handgun to high press rifle. SLOWLY add carnauba wax to get what hardness you like.
    For about 5-ish years now It has served me very,very, well.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Try 357maximums recipe of 2 pounds soft micro crystalline was, 1 pound of paraffin, and one 14 oz tube of Walmarts el cheapo lithium grease. He's gotten really good results with it.

Yep, excellent lube, but Mikey doesn't give it all away on the first batch. Substitute in about 3/4 lb beewax for that amount of the microwax. It makes the lube more sizer friendly. Without the BW, it has a very narrow temperature range. Goes from putty to goose [excrement] real quick.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 03-25-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    Yep, excellent lube, but Mikey doesn't give it all away on the first batch. Substitute in about 3/4 lb beewax for that amount of the microwax. It makes the lube more sizer friendly. Without the BW, it has a very narrow temperature range. Goes from putty to goose chit real quick.
    Bruce speaks the truth. I have and do replace part of the micro with beeswax for those high falutin friends of mine that have them expen$ive constant pressure sizers (saeco/star). The beeswax makes the "plastic range" of the lube bigger and works better for them. Seeing as I am cheap/poor/frugal I use old lyman 45 sizers and I do not need that "plastic" range so I use MML as posted for my own use. Both versions of what is nothing more than a tweaked version of the old lithi-bee recipe work real well and accurate as all get out when you are treating boolits like their copper clad cousins. I use MML unheated in my old lyman 45's and have no issues. MML is the best lube I have found when you are going 24, 26,2800 fps with a standard gaschecked greasegroove boolit, and i have tried tons of lube recipes. Commercially LBT soft blue and Lars B.A.C are the only ones that match it accuracy wise at the speeds I tend to run with cast.

Boolit Bub
    what is a good source of carnuba wax other then buying cheese or makers mark?

Banned

jpw has it.
    or i mainly use lars's carnuba red as it's easy to get [i drive to his house] and consistent.
    plus i use it as a generic revolver/pistol lube.
    you can also find carnuba wax flakes/chips available at the sage on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    what is a good source of carnuba wax other then buying cheese or makers mark?
    http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I thought JPW contained some. I have mixed some of if in Lee tumble lube after reading the tumble lube sticky.