Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS dies & set screw problem

Boolit Master
    That happens when you use lead shot under the set screw in the old rings.
    When you over tighten the set screw it bulges the soft aluminum ring and galls the threads.
    To fix it remove the set screw and knock out the lead shot.
    Chase the set screw threads with a 10-32 tap. If you can find a 7/8-14 tap chase those threads.
    If you cannot find a 7/8-14 tap run the lock ring over a die body to make sure it will spin on and off.

Finally find a small nylon ball. Any thing from .125 to about .160 will do. If you cannot find a nylon ball get a 6-32 or 8-32 nylon screw and cut about .125 off and drop the piece in the set screw hole. Then install the set screw and tighten only enough to lock the ring. Do not crank down hard on the set screw and it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jal5 View Post
    Ihave two old sets of RCBS dies and have had problems with the ring set screw galling the rings or something like that. They mess up the threads on the rings to the point that it is very difficult to move the rings at all. Not rusting but definitely messing up the rings right under the spot where the set screw puts pressure on the die itself.

The newer set of dies has a brass set screw a softer material, where the older dies have a different screw material at least on mine.

Anyone else see this problem?

Joe
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I emailed RCBS asking about the 10-32 brass set screws and was told I could order them at no cost. I have no problem ordering them if I could simply find them to order. Considering that I have purchased a dozen or more RCBS die sets over the years it has me wondering why customer service couldn't be bothered to send me out a set considering the fact I included my name and address. I guess it was easier to tell me to order them than it was to simply do their customer service job and send them out.
    I just get brass machine bolts that size at the auto parts. They might even have brass set screws...

I get the screws and I can use a slotted screw driver on them. If you get the screw long enough, you won't need to grind the head a bit smaller so it will allow the die to turn into the press...

Set screws are nothing but a problem as far as I'm concerned...

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Master
    All my dies get Forster die rings for use in the Co-ax press, I'd avoid the Lee ones, the O-ring make consistency all but impossible.

Boolit Master
    Very true but I think staight case pistol shooters do not know that the silly Lee rings cause those problems on bottle neck rifle cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I'd avoid the Lee ones, the O-ring make consistency all but impossible.
    EDG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    I just get brass machine bolts that size at the auto parts. They might even have brass set screws...

I get the screws and I can use a slotted screw driver on them. If you get the screw long enough, you won't need to grind the head a bit smaller so it will allow the die to turn into the press...

Set screws are nothing but a problem as far as I'm concerned...

Good-luck...BCB
    I checked all the hardware stores and no one stocks 10-32 just 10-24. The auto stores don't carry set screws either and I'm not going to buy something cut the head off it and try to make a slot in it.

I still believe the guy at RCBS is dropping the ball. It shouldn't be too hard for him to pick up his phone and call their parts department and get some coming my way. I am told that RCBS should send them out free but I am willing to pay for them. They do not list them in their catalog otherwise I would order a dozen of them. Even a little problem like this have me thinking RCBS may have just lost a good customer. At least Dillon will take the time to take care of my needs and RCBS seems to have lost sight of customer satisfaction. My next set of dies will probably not be RCBS at this point in time.

For those tempted to mention Lee.... I bought one set of Lee dies and I will never repeat that again. Lock rings without set screws are totally stupid and do not stay set.

Boolit Master

Whatever you think…

I’ve purchased them at Trader Horn if you have one of those stores in your area…

I doubt any of the auto parts stores that are “chain stores” have them…

Go to an old-fashioned auto parts—the kind from many many years ago--they have all types of nuts, bolts, etc…

You don’t need to cut a slot in the brass screws you buy, it’s already there. If you purchase ones that are ¾” long, you don’t need to grind the head a bit smaller in diameter…

I know that I get rid of all those damn hex wrench set screws—can’t see them for the most part. The slotted screws are right out in the open—easy access…

But then again, there are the split rings and they are the worst thing ever invented. When screwed down on the press and then the screw tightened, the die is difficult to unscrew and sometimes the ring has not been compressed enough to hold it in place on the die when it is loosened…

I too have 7/8x14 tap and dies. I clean my dies and the press threads as needed. It sure helps smooth-out putting them in place…

Just my thoughts—solved my problems with the damn set screws…

Good-luck…BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_1416.jpg  

Banned
    Whatever you think…

I’ve purchased them at Trader Horn if you have one of those stores in your area…

I doubt any of the auto parts stores that are “chain stores” have them…

Go to an old-fashioned auto parts—the kind from many many years ago--they have all types of nuts, bolts, etc…

You don’t need to cut a slot in the brass screws you buy, it’s already there. If you purchase ones that are ¾” long, you don’t need to grind the head a bit smaller in diameter…

I know that I get rid of all those damn hex wrench set screws—can’t see them for the most part. The slotted screws are right out in the open—easy access…

But then again, there are the split rings and they are the worst thing ever invented. When screwed down on the press and then the screw tightened, the die is difficult to unscrew and sometimes the ring has not been compressed enough to hold it in place on the die when it is loosened…

I too have 7/8x14 tap and dies. I clean my dies and the press threads as needed. It sure helps smooth-out putting them in place…

Just my thoughts—solved my problems with the damn set screws…

Good-luck…BCB
    A Google search shows Fastenal has them for $1.40 ea. I am willing to pay that to get the correct set screw. I do not have room/clearance to have a portion of the screw sticking out. I want them as designed with the set screw recessed as it should be. I suppose I could make some if I had too but then again I want the allen head and not a slot.

Banned
    I'm a stickler for having things correct. I don't like to cobble something up. You do what your comfortable with. You get by with a portion of the slotted set screw sticking out and in my case the turret doesn't allow me much room. I don't have much clearance between the die rings of the dies when the turret is full of dies. I can wait to get what I want because the turret is the back up machine that process only what is left over from setting up the Dillon 650. I have probably 20 or less 9mm cases in various stages waiting to be finished and like I said these are left overs from the 9mm set up on the 650.

Banned
    There are no old fashoned auto parts stores or hardware stores here anymore. They all went to the way side years ago otherwise the first and last stop would have been my hardware store because they would have carried it.

Yep, those "old-type" stores are long gone here, they're all part of some chain or other. I have a set of RCBS dies that came with the lever gun I just bought. They have the little brass screws, and one was so tight it had damaged the thread on the die!! Once I got the nut off I had to smooth out the thread with a file. I promptly cut some small bits of lead to put in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, those "old-type" stores are long gone here, they're all part of some chain or other. I have a set of RCBS dies that came with the lever gun I just bought. They have the little brass screws, and one was so tight it had damaged the thread on the die!! Once I got the nut off I had to smooth out the thread with a file. I promptly cut some small bits of lead to put in.
    I also like a piece of lead shot or a piece of plastic to guard the die body threads. My problem is someone stripped out the allen head which leads me to believe stupidity was at play. I purchased this set used so I'm not the one responsible for the set screw damage.

I miss the old parts stores where you could go in and purchase carb parts or rebuild kits or floats. The old days are gone and its not a good thing either. We used to have a hardware store that started out when I was probably 5 years old and continued to just a few years ago. They either had it or they could get what you needed but mostly they stocked it.

Boolit Master

Rounding the hex part of an set screw is another reason I don't like hex heads. I only have them in dies that I seldom use. Otherwise, they are removed and brass screws replace them...

Concerning brass screws damanging the threads of a steel die, I can't imagine that as brass is much softer than steel...

Steel set screws--maybe...

Good-luck...BCB

Banned
    Rounding the hex part of an set screw is another reason I don't like hex heads. I only have them in dies that I seldom use. Otherwise, they are removed and brass screws replace them...

Concerning brass screws damanging the threads of a steel die, I can't imagine that as brass is much softer than steel...

Steel set screws--maybe...

Good-luck...BCB
    Brass is used because it causes less damage to threads. What they should have done was drop in a piece of lead shot and then install the brass set screw and yes brass is softer than steel.

Boolit Master

I have put a 7 1/2 or 8 shot in a couple of mine. It helps, but sometimes can make the lock ring a bit hard to turn. Still it is a safety move to help keep threads from getting damaged...

Boolit Master
    Hornady Sure Loc die rings.
    I remove the rings on my dies and put the Hornady on. They are not cheap but are solid and dependable. Keep the old rings and if you sell or trade the dieset, remove the Hornady and re- install the originals.
    No damaged threads, no galling, no working loose like the Lee.
    Solid as a bank vault.

Banned
    The picture below shows an older RCBS die next to the newer die. The old ring did not damage the threads on the die. The newer one with the brass set screw is not as good.Attachment 118910

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    Hornady Sure Loc die rings.
    I remove the rings on my dies and put the Hornady on. They are not cheap but are solid and dependable. Keep the old rings and if you sell or trade the dieset, remove the Hornady and re- install the originals.
    No damaged threads, no galling, no working loose like the Lee.
    Solid as a bank vault.
    Hornady Sure Lock die rings. Absolutely the BEST lock ring on the market. All steel, split rings, with wrench flats - these will not slip. You will not regret using them. Personally, I think they are priced competitively.....
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Hornady split lock rings are great and inexpensive to boot. I have or have had lock rings from every manufacturer and the only ones that I would never buy again is the Dillon rings. The Lee rings work just fine if you tighten the heck out of them. I prefer the Lee rings on dies that are often changed though like universal decappers. It's hard to beat the Hornady or Forster split rings.

Those Hornady rings look good. I'm aware that the brass, being softer, shouldn't be able to damage a steel thread but it did! One of the problems we have here with replacing them is that you Yanks use your own peculiar thread system - we use Imperial and Metric, which are easy to get screws for. Your stuff isn't. I'll probably end up re-tapping them to Metric if I have problems.

Banned
    I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here as I need some simple brass 10-32 set screws not $4 a piece Hornady rings. Being that the dies were used I was expecting some possible wear but surely that I didn't need an act of God in order to obtain set screws that should cost no more than $1.00-1.50 ea. Hornady rings yes they are nice but I don't need them since once the dies are adjusted and set I will no longer need to adjust them unless I change reloading presses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast