RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WANTED: Any info on the new "BLACK DOT" powder

Boolit Master

WANTED: Any info on the new "BLACK DOT" powder

Have heard that Alliant is coming out with a new BP sub to be called "Black Dot". Does anyone have any information on this powder? 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Banned
    Only thing I have heard is that it is going/is to be another ascorbic acid based powder with "refinements".

Just went to the Alliant website and did not see a thing on it.

Northmn

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range 257 Shooter's Avatar
    Found this on the web:

At the 2010 SHOT Show, Alliant announced their new blackpowder sub, BLACK DOT. As it turns out, Alliant has been testing and helping MDM get it right and they have reached a marketing agreement with MDM. Alliant has a good name and good distribution, two things that Black Mag has never had. The name would seem to indicate that it compliments the traditional premium Alliant double-based shotshell powder line of Red Dot, Green Dot, and Blue Dot.

Properly made, BM3 has low corrosivity, low residue and easy ignition. The “good” type of this propellant is everything that American Pioneer / Shockey's Gold has failed at. The good stuff also yields respectable velocities and is consistent. Alliant has promised to get some in my hands soon, so it will be given a full and complete review. It has the potential to be one of the best subs ever. Whether that potential has been realized or not time will tell.
    In God WE Trust!
    NRA Life Member
    "I'll keep my guns, my money and my freedom, you can keep the change!"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Shooter sounds like Alliant is making a run against Black mag'Xp, another new ascorbic acid substitute. Might want to read this thread on The Open Range, including a conversation I had with Craig Sanborn, President of Blackmag Industries

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=7173

It's on the pricey side now, but Mr Sanborn told me in 2010, the can will have 25% more powder at the same price
    Regards
    John

I used Black Mag 3 for a couple of years for .357 cartridge loads for CAS. Previously I had used BP, Pyro P, Black Canyon, CleanShot, and finally BM3. I got decent loads that were non fouling in the gun but murder on brass unless rinsed, dried and polished within a day or two. Once I tried 777 I never went back but also BM3 disappeared and when it did come back it was too expensive so I stayed with 777 which seems to shoot a little hotter than the old BM3 or any of the other subs or BP. If BM3 came back at a decent price I would be interested again.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

777 is Hodgens whcih makes it a surprise that Alliant has not come out with a substitute. they just came out with a competitor for Longshot I noticed. My guess is that they want something at least as good as 777, which I consider about the best of the phoney powders considering both performance and cost.

Northmn