Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30 BR vs .308 x 1.5"

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Mike could have been involved with those barrels because he was interested in small calibers. Mike's first BR barrels were done by Douglas using Mike's button technique, giving time to re-tool should Douglas make a profit. Mike lived and worked in upstate NewYork. He died in Florida after moving when he retired at Remington. I think Mike was instrumental in the XP-100 design as well as making the 17 a production caliber. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 30BR and its hard to believe how it shoots it is a Krieger barrel 25 inch the contour is 1.250 to .947 and it has a 1/17 twist at the moment I am shooting 118 gr bullets at 3050 I practice at 200 yards it shoots from a .3 to .5 inch 5 sshot groups that is 1/4 and less MOA, the only reamer that I know any one to use is the Robinnet he started the 30BR, the 30br is set up with a .330 neck and no free bore like someone said you expand a 6mm br you must turn the necks.

No freebore with condoms is the only way to go for long term accuracy, provided you have enough neck length to contain the bullet of choice when the barrel is new. What neck clearance with what powder (speed) are you using? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    I use a redding neck bushing die at.324 that is common and 34.5 gr of H4198 can only fit about .3 gr more in case, the case is full to top, all common loads, I shoot it at the lands just about touch

Neck clearance? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    .001 with loaded round .329 i measured the only one I have in the house my empty for jamming everything is loaded and in the car for a match tommorow leaving at 6:30 am

I suspected around that number, actually a little less, for the accuracy you are getting with the 4198 speed. ... felix
    felix

Frank:
    118gr bullet (or boolit?)
    3050 fps
    1/4MOA

what's not to like!
    for a deer rifle, you could just aim for that little dark spot that forms just at the side of the eye from tear-wash....

Boolit Buddy
    your right , I am still working on some 125 gr speer TNT bullets , they do just as good at 100 yrds but just a bit larger at 200 but still good and they cost half of what Berger or the custom bullets I bought.

Boolit Master

I just picked up a set of 308x1.5" RCBS dies on E-bay for $35 with shipping. I'm starting to gravitate towards small 30 caliber cartridges for most of my range shooting to go along with my 6.5 match rifles.

Now I need to set some money away for a decent barrel blank to thread and chamber.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=bruce drake;4390316]I just picked up a set of 308x1.5" RCBS dies on E-bay for $35 with shipping. I'm starting to gravitate towards small 30 caliber cartridges for most of my range shooting to go along with my 6.5 match rifles.

Now I need to set some money away for a decent barrel blank to thread and chamber.

Bruce[/QUOTE

I have a barrel for you, it's a Krieger heavy varmint #17, and it has a 17 twist, interested, at the moment it is chambered in a 30BR
    Last edited by frank_1947; 06-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=frank_1947;4390353]
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    I just picked up a set of 308x1.5" RCBS dies on E-bay for $35 with shipping. I'm starting to gravitate towards small 30 caliber cartridges for most of my range shooting to go along with my 6.5 match rifles.

Bruce[/QUOTE

I have a barrel for you, it's a Krieger heavy varmint #17, and it has a 17 twist, interested, at the moment it is chambered in a 30BR
    Check your PM messages. Potentially an Interest. 17 or 12 rifling twist rate?
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12