Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: rifled insert in snider smoothbore

Boolit Master

rifled insert in snider smoothbore

was watching an auction for a complete egyptian snider barreled action. bid it up till it looked like a schill bidder rang in. the plan was to sweat in a barrel insert in 444X1.75 made from modified 444 marlin barrel and mod the extractor to suit and add better sights, so that the rifle lined barreled action could be mated to a complete smooth-bore egyptian gun as a dual-function set.

thinking about a second egyptian that i haven't shot yet and just making a rifled conversion in that gun. anyone have experience doing something like this? how close of a fit do i need when sweating in a barrel liner? what about an epoxy liner installation? the plan was to use either 4198 or 4227 or 2f black in the 444 barrel with breach moved forward to reduce case length to 1.75 to prevent insertion of factory ammo and in respect to the action length of the snider breech. i imagine 1400 fps with 265 .429", so it's not a heavy load. prolly around 20KSI pressure on a .470 base. the reloading sizing die would also be reduced by grinding base to give the correct taper to shortened cases (13 thousandths in 1.75"). the base of the shortened case would be swedged 4 thou in the cut down die with this thinking. is this more than i can do in a standard single stage press?

trying to find a 50-70 barrel that i had some time back to do this in 50-45...

On the recent liner job I did, I used J-B Weld and the barrel was turned down to an easy slip fit into the host Barrel. I am not at all familiar with the Snyder is the barrel removable from the action?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk