RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 30-30 ai

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar

30-30 ai

Is anyone shooting 30-30 AI with great results in a 336 or 94 ? What are the details of your results.

Thanks, BvT

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I shoot a Marlin I had chambered to 30-30 ai. It works very well with jacketed bullets and slower powders such as rl 15, ramshots biggame etc.You can expect 200 fps improovement over the 30-30.Case life is good, most cases are lost during bullet seating, the shoulders being easily collapsed.
    Have messed a bit with cast bullets , but I don't ramp up cast bullets like I do jacketed so using the ai for a cast bullet shooter seems a waste of a good chambering job.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Good to know. Thanks, BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    I get right at 2300 fps with the 311407 Groupbuy clone or the 311041 out of a 20" barrel angle eject M-94. Anneal the neck and part of the shoulder and blow the case out with a stiff charge.

If you're going to use it for a cast bullet gun, a waste of time. You get a shorter neck so the boolit sits down into the powder space-although I've not had a problem with that. It really would be great with some of those flex-tip Hornady's I'll bet.

I have both

I have a 1970 Win 94 that I rebarreled and restocked - used the Numrich 24" octagonal barrel "kit" and a replacement buttstock/cressent buttplate. Turned out nice. Before I installed the barrel, I rechambered it to AI (40 degree shoulder). It can reach over 2600 fps with 150's but I think that's a bit too much - and I prefer 2500 fps with the 150's. The 170's give 2400 and change and are a little more accurate. I use W748 but most of the "regular" 30-30 Win powders will work with the AI as well.

I also have a Marlin 336 with 20" barrel that I rechambered. I did that one with an extension and didn't remove the barrel. It shoots faster than the above - due, I think to the microgroove rifling. That is, it reaches the same velocity with less powder and so is acheiving a higher pressure with less powder... that is an aspect of microgroove barrels that I've hear other's repeat with the AI.

I have Lee dies and have found that the AI cases are very sensititve to crimping - so I use only a light crimp - just enough to ensure that the bullets don't submarine in the cases - and thus far they haven't. I ruinded a few cases before figuring this out - the shoulders bulge out and the rounds don't chamber.

I have avoided the bullet seating problem by using a Lee universal case neck expander to slightly flair the case mouths prior to seating the bullets - this eliminates enough of the downward pressure on the case to prevent the shoulders from colapsing.

It is a great way to get a little more out of your 30-30 while not so much that you have to worry about bullet failure with 30-30 bullets.

And I agree about this being a jacketed bullet thing - the 30-30 is almost perfect for boolits as-is IMHO.
    Endowment Life Member NRA
    Life Member NAHC
    Journeyman WECSOG'er

Thanks. I figure little deers here don't need no 'estinkin j bullets. I think I'v learned enough to forget the AI. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT