RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery mold

Boolit Bub

Mystery mold

Any idea who made this it measures .450 in dia. & .485 in length.

Boolit Master
    Almost has a home-made look to it

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Is it a core mold for a swaging procedure? I've seen core molds before, back before lead wire was readily available to be cut into specified lengths.

Boolit Master
    Shotgun slug? Possibly 20 Guage? Designed to drop in a shot wad and use the wad as a sabot?

Strictly a guess!

Boolit Grand Master

.450" is too small to fit in a 20ga wad. Definitely looks homemade. I defer to Guesser may be a core mould OR for PP boolits.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Super Moderator

............Yup, doesn't look like a production item, especially with the common hardware store type fasteners. It DOES look 'oldish' though and not poorly done either.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    It appears as tho it might be a home-made copy of the Buffalo Ball-et
    http://www.gunnersden.com/blackpowde...lo-ball-et.gif

a cross betwixt a roundball and a conical, about 1.5 calibers long. They great in some guns.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm betting someone made this mould using a drill bit sharpened to rounded point possibly as shunka commented for knurling.

Looking at the right hand cavity there is a spiral groove and another groove that look like they were left by a drill bit rather than a reamer or cherry.

Size seems about right to knurl for .45 cal. My smooth boolits grow about 0.003" when knurled.

Also, as Buckshot mentioned, the fasteners do not look like what is usually on a "commercial" mould.

Longbow

I know you can shoot 45 colt in a .410 shotgun chamber (Handi rifle - snake charmer). I wonder if it was someones slug for a .410 using fiber wads.

'Tain't "home-made" or "oldish", it's hand-made, custom, and vintage, worth big money on flea-bay....
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OBXPilgrim View Post
    I know you can shoot 45 colt in a .410 shotgun chamber (Handi rifle - snake charmer). I wonder if it was someones slug for a .410 using fiber wads.
    410 bore is .410, it would be too big. You can shoot .410 in a 45 colt chamber, not safe the other way around. Not sure it would fit in a 410 hull even if fired in a snake charmer type gun. Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    'Tain't "home-made" or "oldish", it's hand-made, custom, and vintage, worth big money on flea-bay....
    I don't think something like that would bring big bucks it doesn't have a name?

Cap n ball revolver?????
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    Cap n ball revolver?????
    +1

conical ball for .44 caliber percussion revolver.....

....is my best guess.

Dutch

The cavities look too nicely done and the tip looks too well rounded for a drill bit with the tip re-ground to a ball shape. Ball end mill cutter used in a straight down plunge cut would be my guess as to the cavity cutting method used. Could have been a ball end mill cutter chucked into a drill press with a clamping jig or vise underneath or a real milling machine.

As to what it was used for - My WAG would be paper patch 45-70 light plinker and small game loads.

Boolit Master

It may just be the scale/angle of the picture or the funny mushrooms on tonight's pizza but when I compare the apparent size of the cavities to the yardstick at the bottom of the page something doesn't seem to add up to me.

Not to be insulting here but have you double checked your measurements? The blocks look like they are almost 6" long and the cavities look like they are at least 1-1/4" diameter.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    It may just be the scale/angle of the picture or the funny mushrooms on tonight's pizza but when I compare the apparent size of the cavities to the yardstick at the bottom of the page something doesn't seem to add up to me.

Not to be insulting here but have you double checked your measurements? The blocks look like they are almost 6" long and the cavities look like they are at least 1-1/4" diameter.
    Share the 'shrooms, we're all family right?
    I'm believing the bottom is a different picture?.
    Right?

Boolit Master

It's the mushrooms!

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post

The yardstick is in the bottom pic, the big yellow box is in the top pic.

Boolit Master

Ah, The picture is wider than my screen and I didn't scroll to the side to see it was two separate pictures. Mea culpa, mea maximum culpa.

Boolit Grand Master

Well then isn't theperfessor the observant one!?! I hadn't even noticed.

Possibly that is a fishing scale with smaller units? Fish are so much bigger that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast