Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: NOE 316299.....first tests

On Heaven's Range

NOE 316299.....first tests

My rack is graced with two very fine .303s. One is a 1914 #1 Mk III with its original barrel, beautifully custom-built to resemble the classic Lee-Speed sporters, and mounting a vintage Lyman aperture sight. The other is a '55 Fazakerley #4 Mk2 in new condition with a Parker-Hale 5C match sight.

I loaded fourteen different recipes, ten rounds each, and fired five of each recipe from each rifle at fifty yards. Loads used 2400, IMR 4198 (with dacron fill), and IMR 4831.

The bullet works! In water-dropped WW it weighs 208 grains. I sized at .314" and lubed with Lar's BAC.

Since I was just sort of "feeling out" the bullet, I was pleased to see a one-inch group from the Mk III with 4831, and a sub-1" group (but not by much) from the #4 with 4198. There seemed to be considerable vertical stringing going on, but much of that is likely due to my "vintage" eyeballs and the resultant difficulty with iron sights. Both the above groups came at a velocity of +/- 1700 fps. 2400 failed to give much in the way of accuracy.

These early results are better than most of my groups to date with the Lyman 314299, so I have expectations for even better performance in the future. Thanks to NOE for filling this gap.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    I have a 5 cavity in the mail to me, probably stuck in customs. I always read and enjoy your posts Bruce.

BRUCE: Try leaving them 'as cast'. Both my SMLE and No4 Mk II have good, tight barrels (.311-.312) and just love FAT bullets.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    Try about 16gr 2400 without the filler - in my experience it seldom helps.

On Heaven's Range

There was no filler in my 2400 loads, and the range was from 16.0 to 20.0 grains in one-grain increments.

Neither rifle was impressed with any of the 2400 loads.

I've done a lot of direct-comparison tests between other-wise identical loads, one with and the other without dacron fill. The conclusion at which I've arrived is that in many cases, it's worth the effort. This specifically includes such "position insensitive" powders such as 2400, 5744 and Unique. Sometimes there's an improvement in accuracy, sometimes not. Typically there's a very small but noticeable increase in velocity (say, maybe 50-60 fps on average in a .30-06 size case).

Next time out, I'll try the bullets as-cast, and see if there's any improvement. Might have to commission a lapping job from Buckshot on one of my .314 dies. I'll also follow-up with repeats of the best-shooting loads, and a small increment above and below the charges that gave good groups.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen