RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stick-on Weight Composition

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    One of the most often discussed topics here has been the composition of stick-on wheel weights. Frequently it has been stated that with the exception of steel or zinc weights, stick-ons can be considered pure lead. In general this is accurate but I have found some lead stick-on weights that are too hard to be considered pure. These are my findings, at least with what has been available to me here locally.

The first group I am seeing appears to be cut from lead sheets and is uncoated. These are the most common and I consider them to be pure lead or nearly so.

Attachment 20922

The second group is a painted weight and also seems to be cut from sheet lead but has radiused edges. I have found that these can also be considered pure.

Attachment 20923

This third group appears to be cast and is painted. These are considerably harder than the two previous shown samples. Most of these I am finding have the same cast in symbol of the circle and swoosh. I have seen this same symbol on some clip-on weights and I have found them to be some of the hardest weights I find using the cutting pliers test. Not very scientific but they are visibly harder. I can only assume that these are original equipment weights and their distibution may not be very widespread. i usually include this group of weights with my clip-on weights.

Attachment 20924

Have any of you seen these third type of weights and are you observing the same thing I am?
    i found this symbol on some zinc clipons but it isnt zinc or pure lead on the stickies possibly lead and ? , dont know what it is any help? i was wondering the same

Boolit Bub
    I found a handful of SOWW in todays score that look like this:

Any ideas what they are? I can break them easily with pliers, they don't really bend much, and are very shiny internally with a crystallized appearance. Externally, they are just dull grey. They are about the size of the bottom SOWWs in Pic #1.

Boolit Master
    My last haul was about 300# of stick ons. I was very careful and had pot at 675-690 confirmed two diff thermos. they swamped right in with the rest. Was maybe 5% of total. How long before somebody tells me I ZN'd my batch? They were a little harder, Yes. But they cut, scratched,
    now you guy's got me scared. Gtek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meak99 View Post
    I found a handful of SOWW in todays score that look like this:

Any ideas what they are? I can break them easily with pliers, they don't really bend much, and are very shiny internally with a crystallized appearance. Externally, they are just dull grey. They are about the size of the bottom SOWWs in Pic #1.
    Those are definitely zinc.
    I recently went through 6 buckets of stickies, so I am quite familiar with them.

You can easily test for zinc with a pair of wire cutters. Try cutting one of them and you'll find that they either don't dent at all or they'll snap in half with more force. A clip-on or stick-on lead weight will dent without snapping in half.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Bub

Remove adhesive tape or just burn it in the lead?

Boolit Master

I recently was given a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights that came from an import car dealership. Most were stick on with a few clip on. Most all of the clip on were either zinc or steel and a fair amount of the stick on were also zinc. The surprise was a double handful of a heavy foam stick on weight. They appeared to be foam, but felt almost like pure lead. I’ll guess out of the full bucket of weights I got maybe 15 pounds of lead stick on weights. It was way too much work for what I got out of it.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

Like I posted in the other thread, I melt them with the tape on them. They smoke and stink but sometimes you can light the smoke and get it to burn. Its too much work for me to try and dissolve the glue. I live on a fairly large lot so the smoke is not a problem.

Yeah, the weights that I have gotten from dealerships have had more iron and zinc than the ones that I get from other places.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    The surprise was a double handful of a heavy foam stick on weight. They appeared to be foam, but felt almost like pure lead.
    Is there actually lead in that foam?? I got a couple lbs of that. Seems like trash to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12