Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: I just received a Lee Pro Pot 4

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar

I just received a Lee Pro Pot 4

It was/is a Christmas slash birthday present from the wife. It's been delayed in getting here but it's here now and I'm itching to get it fired up and try it out.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up lee pro pot 20#

got one last week just inspected it and put back in the box, but i sure got the itch! got it bad!!, but ain't ready to pour yet. will post when i do.

A tip for your new pot, Snake. Clamp a small vise grip vertically on the top of the stem. This will help prevent drips. If a drip persists, a twist of the vise grip will help clean out the small bit of gunk that's preventing full seating most of the time.

I love my Lee Pro 4-20.
    Last edited by Cloudpeak; 03-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Cloudpeak

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    A tip for your new pot, Snake. Clamp a small vice grip vertically on the top of the stem. This will help prevent drips. If a drip persists, a twist of the vice grip will help clean out the small bit of gunk that's preventing full seating most of the time.

I love my Lee Pro 4-20.
    Thanks, headed to the store for small vice grips.
    “There are the Red Coats; they will be ours or tonight Molly Stark sleeps a widow.” - General John Stark
    Brave souls such as these gave life & limb, in order to free themselves from a tyrannical rule. They created a country where the people were allowed life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Government was intentionally shackled by the constitution to limit its power over the people. How far we have strayed from our forefather’s original intent!

Moderator Emeritus

I used my Lee 20 pound bottom pour dripolator for several months before I heard the hot tip about using a small vice grip on top of the valve stem to stop the drips. It REALLY does work. Good advice to follow. Me being the frugal person I am, I didn't buy vice grip brand vice grips, I got the el cheapo dollar general vice type grips. They do the same job for 1/3 the price.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Me being the frugal person I am, I didn't buy vice grip brand vice grips, I got the el cheapo dollar general vice type grips. They do the same job for 1/3 the price.
    I think I read somewhere that genuine "Vise Grips" are now made overseas. Probably China. They used to be made in Dewitt, Nebraska.

Which reminds me of a story. Years ago, a group of Chinese visited my ranch to look at my rotational grazing setup and my electric, high tensile wire cross fencing. It was all I could do to keep them from touching the fence which would have knocked them on their cans and probably started an international "event".

The neatest thing, though, was the major fuss they made over a pair of Vise Grips I was using. They fumbled and fondled them and jabbered like a son of a gun. I really kept my eye on the grips 'cause I didn't think I was going to get them back.
    Cloudpeak

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpeak View Post
    A tip for your new pot, Snake. Clamp a small vise grip vertically on the top of the stem. This will help prevent drips. If a drip persists, a twist of the vise grip will help clean out the small bit of gunk that's preventing full seating most of the time.

I love my Lee Pro 4-20.
    Cloudpeak
    I read your suggestion last time you posted it. It is a great idea. I have the small visegrips on both of mine. It has stopped the drips on both.
    One other tip, be very careful not to mash the screw driver slot.
    44wcf

Quote Originally Posted by 44wcf View Post
    One other tip, be very careful not to mash the screw driver slot.
    44wcf
    Or, drop hot lead in it
    Cloudpeak

Lee Pot 4

Melted about 40# in mine and casted boolits and it hasn't dripped so far. Have some spout freeze when adding more ingots. But so far I'm pleased with it.

I think it's time to upgrade my 10 pounder for the 20!

Boolit Buddy snake river marksman's Avatar
    I was able to put 6 of my angle iron ingots in the pot last night and it melted them down pretty quick. I put the 7th on the edge of the pot to heat it up before sticking it in the pot. I got no freeze with that hot ingot. That's not surprising since it nearly melted on the edge of the pot. Dripping wasn't an issue last night but I did put a stainless tray under it just in case.

Using a bottom pour pot is soooo much nicer than using that big ladle and turkey fryer/dutch oven set up.

Maybe I have the only PIV that doesn't leak. I never drain mine completely. leaving it at least 1/2 full at all times. I also do NOT smelt in it, using it only for bulle casting. One of the better things Lee makes IMO.

Boolit Master
    More fixes:
    1. Attach a spring from the handle to the base.
    2. Lap the spout.
    3. When the stream slows down, a bent paper clip, inserted into the bottom of the spout, will remove the obtruction.

The above has worked for me. As with all things casting, not everyone will get the same results.

Park City, KS (right in the middle of Tornado Alley)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Maybe I have the only PIV that doesn't leak. I never drain mine completely. leaving it at least 1/2 full at all times. I also do NOT smelt in it, using it only for bulle casting. One of the better things Lee makes IMO.
    I just got mine so it's new enough it doesn't leak yet. Was going to buy the 10# but decided I liked the configuration of the spigot handle on the Pro 4 better. Glad I got it.

Melted 6lb of cleaned WW ingots in it when I got it and cast my first ever boolits that afternoon. I only ran 25 out of it then and shut it down as I didn't have my lube/sizing dies yet. I like that adjustable mold shelf that helps position it right for the pour.

Ran a hundred 205 grain .329 rifle and 50 158 grain .358 pistol boolits this morning and they all came out pretty good. The pot doesn't leak and boy does it heat fast. Melted 8 lb in about 20 minutes. Digital thermocouple meter says 720 degrees is #6 on the thermostat on mine. Really glad I got the Pro-4 instead of the smaller 10# one.
    Jim Sheldon

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

US Army, retired, NRA Life Member, Certified Pistol and Reloading Instructor, Certified Range Safety Officer.

Boolit Master
    Have some spout freeze when adding more ingots
    I found that sometimes cooling the melt with additional ingots may cause the lead in the spout to cool off enough to stop. Sometimes even after the lead reaches temperature, it stays stuck. I just aim my butane cigar lighter torch flame at it for a few seconds, and it's flowing again.