Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 311407 in Swiss 1911

Boolit Bub

Lyman 311407 in Swiss 1911

Has anybody tried the Lyman 311407 Pope mold in a Schmidt Rubin 1911 as it was intended to be loaded in a .30-06 (i.e. finger seated in a fired case)?
    For the Love of God People!! It's A TURRET Press not a TURRENT Press!!

damron g
    I tried to do the "finger seat" deal with the “Pope” bullet in my K31 Swiss and the bore ride grooves were too big @.301 and it just shoved it back into the case. If the first bands were about .298 and the baseband .308 it might be OK would be my guess.
    I shoot the 308403 Pope in my 30-06 quite a lot. I have shot 3 CBA Military matches and done fairly well despite the low velocity being a challenge in the wind at 200! I load at the bench with one case as was recommended by Pope and it is a good system.

George Damron

Super Moderator

..............I have a 311407 and a 311467, and know 2 other guys with 311407's and they all drop slugs of .312" or a bit larger. Don't know about the SR1911, but they're too large for my K31.

To back up a bit I've had my K-31 for a few years and all I did at first was to fireform a bunch of 284 Win brass in it using cheap (at the time) Remington 150gr Core-Lokts. I had the itch to shoot it but time was short and the only 30 cal slugs I had on hand that were lube-sized were a bunch of the Lee group buy 311407M (M = Modified) slugs sized at .314".

I ran 50 of'em up through a Lee .309" size die, and then loaded them. I used a good roll crimp on'em since as damron g said, the boolit's nose is too large and they'd get pushed back into the case's neck. I still had to seat them short with the GC well below he 'shoulder-neck' line and they really engraved

Accuracy was minute of tin can at 50 yards which is NOT what I'm looking for for 10 rounds at 50 yards. If your older Swiss rifle is like my K31 I don't think a Loverin is going to be the best choice. A borerider would be the thing.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

damron g
    I think the bullet in question is the 311403 and was mistyped "311407"

Am i correct Newfoundlander?

George D.