Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Hand Primers???

Good Hand Primers???

I have broke the lever on two Lee auto primes. Is there a better more durable hand primer out there?

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was looking for a hand primer, I had a couple of friends that reloaded. One had the Lee version, one had the RCBS. After using both, I bought the RCBS hand priming tool -- it feels better in my hand, and uses regular shellholders, not the flat ones that the Lee unit requires.

RCBS has a newer unit with a universal shellholder out now, I have never used it.

Robert

Boolit Master

I like the RCBS I have two one for SP and one for LP the work great. I want to try there new version when I can no shell holder's needed. FB

Quote Originally Posted by ETG View Post
    I have broke the lever on two Lee auto primes. Is there a better more durable hand primer out there?
    I have two Lee's and they've worked fine for over 20 years. Why two? One for small and one for large. You do know that the instructions (such as they are), call for lubing the pivot points?

Keep it lightly greased in those three areas, and it will last a long time. BTW, Lee sells the handles pretty cheaply.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for the RCBS, wore out to many Lee's. Never wore out an RCBS.

Boolit Master
    "I have broke the lever on two Lee auto primes. Is there a better more durable hand primer out there? "

Sinclair International has one that's machined stainless steel. Maybe it will stand up for you.

I've had two Lee Auto Primes, for large/small, for something like 20 years. Never broke, never wore out but I lube the lleaver knuckles once a year, if they need it or not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETG View Post
    operator error....priming is a feel...if you are breaking hadlles....ease up.....

i have had my lee auto primes and several single prime tools and have not broken a handle yet...

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I used it on a bunch of 45 auto with no problems. Was priming 223 cases when I broke the first one and new 44 mag brass on the second break. Primers were hard to seat and I had to twist the cartrige a little and press hard many times to get the primer seated properly.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been using the LEE primer for about 20 years. I keep spare levers on hand.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I have and like my Hornady. If I lost it I would buy another.

Boolit Master

I broke one, but it wasn't the lever. I noticed my primers weren't seating deep enough. After examining the tool I noticed a crack in the head where the shell holder goes. I picked up a used body in a junk bin at the local gun shop as a replacement. I use two as well, one small and one large primer. A little grease occasionally does wonders...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

I have broken two in 35 years like Ray's - cracked the shell holder housing.
    Still like and use them - two - one set up for small and one for large.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have and like my Hornady. If I lost it I would buy another.
    I have a Hornady and it works well with large primers, but I have had some troubles with the small primers jamming. I have an early model and the issues may have been resolved now. I sent a letter and they responded that I needed to remove some plastic, but I have not figured out where to remove it. I also talked to the reps at Camp Perry a couple of times and they were more interested in selling me a new one than fixing the old one.

My brother has an RCBS and has had no issues. I would suggest the RCBS.

Boolit Master
    I have two Lee auto prime tools one bought 30 years ago the other in the last two months.

Basically I had lost the small primer tray and used it as justifacation to buy a second one so I could have one dedicated to small primer and the other to large.

Sure enough as soon as I walked in the garage the small primer tray was laying on the bench!

Darn Cat!

Set up the new auto Prime a week or so ago and primed 300 Winchester 40S&W rounds with wolf primers. Everything felt good but the lever snapped clean off at about 200 rounds.

I was only using one thumb.

Swapped levers from the old tool and finished up my 300 case's. Lee is sending a new one no charge.

When it gets here I think I'll Acra Glass a bit of steel reinforcement to the lever of both tools.

That's what I'm going to suggest for new owners, and lube them of course!

I broke a lot of Lee's myself. And I found a way to break the RCBS too. I've settled on the Hornady.

Boolit Master
    My Lee has served my well, for many years.

All this talk about having one for small primers and another for large has got me to thinking about getting another. Darn it, guys! I have only so much money in the casting/reloading fund.

A guy in a local shop was pushing me to get the universal gizmo from RCBS a few months ago. It looked real nice & seemed to work well, but it was kind of pricey. I think it was like $70. I can buy a few Lee hand primers for that price.

I've been using the same Lee hand primer for over 20 years now with no problem. A little grease & a gentle touch go a long way towards making those things last a lifetime.

Are you using x-military brass that doesn't have the primer crimp chamfered out or something? If that's the case, then you may either need a primer pocket swager or a chamfer tool.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    I peeled the top off an RCBS hand priming tool several years ago. The shellholder just pushed a ring of the potmetal up off the tool. RCBS was kind enough to replace it, but I find the Lee easier to use. And I lubed the contact points, just like the instructions say to do. Not one problem.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    Darn it, guys! I have only so much money in the casting/reloading fund.
    And we're mighty glad to help you spend it . You'll like having two, because if you follow Lee's directions and grease the bearing surfaces, now you don't have to touch those greasy parts while dismantling the thing...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

anachronism
    I wore out the links on 2 Lees, one in just a couple of months. My RCBS primer is one of the first ones made. and still works perfectly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast