Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Lead shot alloy

Boolit Man

Lead shot alloy

Anybody know what the alloy is in commercial lead shot? I have about 100 lbs of new mixed shot. #7.5-#9.

ML

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Mold
    Most shot includes much less antimony than that page suggests, using a small trace amount of arsenic (.5% or so, sometimes less) that interacts with the antimony to produce harder shot.

The arsenic also modifies the surface tension of the lead so that the shot drops properly from the shot towers.

Never tried to use shot as a bullet casting alloy, but should be interesting - post up some pics with the results!

If your alloy does indeed have arsenic in it, adding some of it to normal WW will make the WW waaay harder when it cools - possibly too hard.

Boolit Mold
    This page has a good (and more complete) write up.

http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Lead%20Alloys.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Lead shot works real well with about 1% tin added to it which makes it fill out much better. If you don't have tin it can be used as is depending on the mold.

I have used reclaimed shot and new shot. The new shot is coated with graphite so there will be some of that to flux and remove. It also acts somewhat as an insulator so start out by melting a little at a time, especially with reclaimed as it usually has oxide on it.

Made the mistake once of almost filling my #100 pot for making ingots with reclaimed. Took forever to melt it as the oxides had formed a shell that had to be smashed to release the lead inside.

Now I start out with about an inch, smash, flux & remove dross, add more, repeat.