RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mould for 9mm full auto

Boolit Bub

Mould for 9mm full auto

I am going to try casting for a 9mm sten and mac 11. I am asking anyone if they have found a good boolit that runs good in these guns. I have cast good boolits for my 45 auto, 41 mag, and 38-357. I am kind of new at this and am looking for a little help from those more experienced.

Thanks for all the help
    James

Well I just got in the 9mm RN Lee 6 cavity group buy mold that I bought from a member here - so I should know in a month or so - but was sold as the bee's knee's.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20249
    Last edited by Artful; 03-13-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Banned

mike venturino
    uses a 9mm gas checked mold in his full auto's.
    iirc its an rcbs.

Boolit Master

Got a buddy that uses the Lyman 356402 in his friend's Swedish K and says it works really well. Says he gets a lot of lube smoke during rock N roll./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I could send you a rainbow assortment of 9mm bullets to try. For fair compensation. Have 122 gr TC, 124 gr RN, 125 gr TC revolver bullet, 147 gr FP. May have a few Lee 125 gr RNFP around here also?

I know nothing of what either of those guns like for boolits. The 147 grain may help with recoil impulse strength if they would feed well. But that's' just my head gears churning. My Saeco 122gr TC will max out at a size of .357” while the others are Magma moulds and will make .358” bullets if needed. I ordered the 124gr RN and 147 gr FP as 38 Super bullets so they'd be nice and fat.

Send a PM if interested.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a Lee 124gr TC. Casts @.357 and I just tumble lube, let dry and load. Also used the lyman 147gr, but I hate the bevel base, so got the lee mould. Use 231 powder in my loads

I used the 356402 in my 9mm Mac 10 FA I had.
    Ran like a champ. 4 secs to empty each magazine, seemed forever to recharge the magazines. Hard on the fingers for sure!
    You do bring back some awfully fond memories!

Boolit Buddy
    I also use Lyman 356242 of straight linotype with good results. Guns are a STEN and MP40 and several handguns.

Boolit Master

Send a PM to FISH4BUGS, he loads for full autos...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Buddy
    in general, most round nose designs seem to feed well in most subguns, i reload for an mk760 and have found rcbs 09-124-cn, which is a trunicated design mold #82027 works well also. using a hard lube with these i don't get enough lube smoke with a mild blaster load to be a problem.

Boolit Buddy

I've been using a Lee 356-120-TC in my both my smg. Seems to work great with no feed problems at all but between the Bullseye powder and bullet lube, cleaning them is a pain.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master
    Aw come on guys, just as I was beginning to be satisfied with what I have, you start talking about full auto. I'm going to have to work on my presentation skills to talk my wife into that one. Who knows, there is always hope.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Once you Rock and Roll, its hard to Waltz!!

Boolit Master

Years ago I read an article about casting for full autos. IIRC, the author recommended using moulds that were as close as possible to military hardball in contour, and he dropped directly from the mould into a padded chute that lead to a bucket of water for quenching. He wanted a hard bullet to withstand the battering of feeding. He was connected to a firm that demonstrated machine guns for sale, so reliability was his main concern.

Boolit Master

I'm thinking I need to move to single shot pistols and rifles... I hate the fact that it takes me longer to load a round than it does to shoot it...

Seriously though, I suspect that is the case even for single shot pistols and rifles...

I figure that if I need to put multiple 9mm size pieces of lead on a target in a very short time, I'll just use buckshot...

Boolit Master
    Heavier bullets are easier to work with because you can get adequate blowback at reduced velocities which reduces or eliminates leading problems. When I was shooting class 3 stuff, we mostly used a 158 grain Lyman RN with total reliability in a wide assortment of SMGs. Much later, a Lee six cavity 356-153-2R mould came my way. While I no longer have the opportunity to shoot SMGs, it functions perfectly in every 9mm I have had a chance to try it in and would be my first choice for SMG ammo.

Unfortunately, that mould has been discontinued, but there must still be a few floating around, and the very simplist of group buys is to have Lee do a run of one of their own designs.
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if democracy is such a good idea.

Boolit Mold
    I have been useing the lyman256402, 4cav mold with good acc.and function. Ihave also used the lee 122gr tc with good results. But i like the lyman mold better, it seems to produce a better quality bootle for me. but both seem to shoot the same out of my 92s.
    hope this helps Little Jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Leftoverdj View Post
    When I was shooting class 3 stuff, we mostly used a 158 grain Lyman RN with total reliability in a wide assortment of SMGs. Much later, a Lee six cavity 356-153-2R mould came my way. While I no longer have the opportunity to shoot SMGs, it functions perfectly in every 9mm I have had a chance to try it in and would be my first choice for SMG ammo.

Unfortunately, that mould has been discontinued, but there must still be a few floating around, and the very simplist of group buys is to have Lee do a run of one of their own designs.
    They currently have a 6-cavity TL358-158-2R that they sell. I would think that considering how much ammo gets used up on full-auto, one would be interested in molds with as many cavities as possible. Depending upon the alloy and gun that you are using, you might be able to use this bullet in a 9mm. At worst, break out your single stage press and run them through the Lee resizing die from the "Lube and Size Kit" in .357 or .357 diameter (whichever your particular gun prefers). Resizing with the Lee kit is pretty quick.