Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC any good?

Everyones telling you the price is too high but no one knows FOR SURE what model it is. Heck, it could be limited run "bright" stainless. It could be a 45 Colt Hunter. Find out what the exact model is. Is it a Bisley or regular grip frame? Is it a Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk or Redhawk? Are you sure it's a 7.5 inch barrel and not a 5.5?

Boolit Master

So, which is stronger? The Blackhawk or the Redhawk? I have a Redhawk in .44mag, but I don't shoot it much. I bought it off of a Vietnamese co-worker (kind of small guy) who fired a box (or less) through it and decided it was too much gun for him. I don't remember what I paid for it, but at the time, I thought it was a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RayinNH View Post
    Marlin, a little confusion on my part here. Your opening post you mentioned a Blackhawk. That price is too high for a used Blackhawk. In one of your other post you gave stock numbers for Redhawk revolvers. That price for a used Redhawk is okay, not terrific, but okay. The Blackhawk is a single action, the Redhawk is a double action. In any case the .45 Colt in a Ruger is a very good combination...Ray
    I am pretty sure it was a Blackhawk. It is single action only. I did not know that single actions were exempt from the DOJ list, so when I looked on the list those stock numbers were the only ones listed close to what I was looking for.

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Marlin Hunter,

Single action revolvers are exempt from the DOJ approval process in California. Boyd Davis, the owner of EMF, lobbied hard with the various attorney generals to get them exempted, and he was successful. If your dealer is telling you otherwise, he's misinformed. You can check the CADOJ website for the list, and it says SA revolvers are exempted.

You can buy new Ruger Blackhawks in California.

Hope this helps.

Fred

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!!

Do not fear the enemy, for your enemy can only take your life. It is far better that you fear the media, for they will steal your honor. That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poorhouse. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

It about time someone in CA is working for you all. as stated you may find a convertable on line for less but if you like the gun buy it. I had one and it done a good job. The older ones are better than to junk that Ruger puts out now. Had 2 super reds and both were junk both were sent back twice Last one still had the shells in the cylinder that I couldnt get out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Corrigan View Post
    I have a Ruger BH new model with a 4 5/8 bbl and an extra .45 CAP cylinder. The seller claimed that it was original. It came with a brass frame and stag grips.

The price was reasonable ($325) and I bought the gun. Too late I tried to use the extra cylinder and it does not work in this gun. I called Ruger and with the serial number I found that the gun was shipped from the factory with a 7 1/2 bbl and a blue steel frame. It was not a convertible. It did not have a brass frame. It did not have a 4 5/8 bbl.

All that being said it is a great shooter. The chambers measure .454 and the forcing cone is in good shape and measures at .453. The cylinder gap is only .004 and the thing is dead nuts accurate with cast boolits cast sized to .452. I use straight ww's and they squish up enuf to prevent gas cutting and this gun does not lead up at all if I keep the velocity reasonable.

The only down side is that the grips are huge for my dainty hand. I need to get this thing sanded down some and maybe send it back to Ruger to have the cylinder fitted to the gun. Another long term project.

The price that your seller wants seems a bit high. If it was an Old Model with the good trigger and no transfer bar I might consider it but if it is a new model with the transfer bar and less than stellar trigger I would go buy another.
    Crash, if that brass grip frame is an original Ruger product, they sell used for over $300 regularly! That would make having to do any additional work to that gun a whole lot more palatable!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Go to Gunbroker.com for REAL price checks. Make a cpoy of a similar SOLD Ruger and take it to your dealer. Smile and say.. That is the competion. I have seen Blue 45 Colts sell for $255 in 90% condition 7.5 " with scope mount. Thatīs what I paid for my last one 7 months ago.
    Also you may be looking at one of those rare only 25 were made models. Ruger collectors (NOT Shooters) are always thinking about winning the "Table Award" at big shows.. bragging rights.
    I have been shooting Rugers for since I was 12. My dad had them and so do I. They work. you may need to fix one up a bit (cylinder throats or trigger) but they will take all the sane reloading you can put to them. My first 41 mag is still digesting any 240 grain loas I care to shoot. My 45 Colt realy chews up 19 grains 2400 with the Lee 265 fnpb. What more do I need ?
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned

The RH is stronger then the BH and the SRH is stronger then both.
    I found the RH is finicky for loads but the SRH is not. The BH is in between. I rate them for accuracy with the SRH first, the BH next and the RH last.
    Now the BH is stronger then you will ever need anyway so it is a moot point. It also can be made so accurate it is scary.
    Ruger's need a little work, mostly triggers. After trigger work I have seen new out of box Ruger's shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with cast. The .45 MIGHT need throat work.
    Now Ruger has screwed up now and then, like the SRH in .480 with a six shot cylinder, should have been five. Should have been a five shot .475 anyway to start with.
    Strength of a BH!!!! My friend bought a new .45 Vaquero and his load info for the 335 gr LBT was to start at 19 and work up for accuracy and pressure signs. I WILL NOT TELL YOU WHAT HE LOADED TO without pressure signs but it rivaled the .454.
    Another fella I know with a .41 forgot the powder in one shell and lodged the boolit in the bore, then shot a full house load behind it. It ruined the gun, expanding the cylinder and top strap up breaking his scope but the cylinder DID NOT SPLIT. He never got a scratch and didn't even know until he tried to cock it again. The very best is that Ruger sold him a new gun at their cost, just how great is that?

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Must give credit to the new steel that was developed to allow 6 shots instead of 5. Can you spell tough 6 times? No doubt he got another gun from the corporate advertising budget. The gun is prolly hanging in a lobby frame either at Ruger or the steel company. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 03-14-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    felix

Boolit Master

Is the Ruger Blackhawk 45 LC any good?
    DEPENDS some are good some bad.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a 45 Colt Blackhawk in stainless.It has a 4 5/8" barrel.I had a Bisley Blackhawk.I had accuracy problems with it .Mainly because of the original throat and chamber dimensions.I am hoping the new gun is better.I wanted a woods gun for off season and maybe a hunting gun for deer.

I like my bisley hunter in 41 mag.It will shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards.I've been asked if I want to sale it several times.The only thing I don't like is it thumps my knuckle with heavy loads using 255 grain boolits.I've never liked the blackhawk grip unless it had a pac rubber grip.If you get a 45 colt check out the cylinder throats,some are too small and too big is worse.That is one of the reasons I got a 41,the throats were perfect.

Boolit Master
    Have three Blackhawks in 45 LC, excellent revolvers.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Bub
    Own a stainless Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel. Great gun. Would not trade it for anything. While we own many Rugers, this Blackhawk and our Super Blackhawk Hunter are my two favorites.

They may be a bit rough around the edges, but for less than $2000.00, it is hard to beat a Ruger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    it is hard to beat a Ruger.
    Not really! Sure they are great guns when good but if you buy a new one OR A USED ONE and have to have it gun smithed to fix Ruger's mistakes I just cannot abide by that kinda stuff anymore.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

The only difference between the Blackhawk and Super blackhawk is the grip frame. SBH's are steel. Frame, cylinders and barrels are the same. The Redhawk is beefier all around. Cylinders are longer in the Redhawk as well so they can handle longer/heavier boolits and the walls are much thicker. I can take pics of my 45 Colts, SBH Hunter, RH if you want to see. But for now, here's a Super Blackhawk 44 mag next to a Redhawk 45 Colt. But, they are all strong muthas! There's a reason Linebaugh and others will only use the SA Rugers for their bigbore conversions. And some only on Bisleys. The frames can handle the pressure.

I have 2 convertible .45 blackhawks and love them. when it comes reloading them you can go from pussycat loads to loads that will straighten your hair and they are more accurate out of the box than most shooters can shoot them. they are alot of fun and can do most anything you will ever need a handgun to do

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The Redhawk is beefier all around. Cylinders are longer in the Redhawk as well so they can handle longer/heavier boolits and the walls are much thicker.
    I noticed from the photo that you posted that the indentations in the cylinders are pointed in opposite directions. Does the Redhawk and Blackhawk cylinders rotate in opposite directions?

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range HammerMTB's Avatar
    Not Synd, but I will interject-
    yes, the cylinders rotate in opposite directions.
    When I take both out to shoot, it always messes with my head.....

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    I noticed from the photo that you posted that the indentations in the cylinders are pointed in opposite directions. Does the Redhawk and Blackhawk cylinders rotate in opposite directions?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I have two Blackhawks, both 44Mags, an old 10 1/2" Superblackhawk (which will get lopped to 7 1/2" I thiink) and a 5 1/2" New Model Super Blackhawk (stainless). Both excellent guns. I also imported a pair of 45Colt/APC convertibles which traded recently. I regret this decision and have picked up a near new one which I will get soon.

Absolutely bog reliable, accurate and generally all round excellent guns. Bombproof.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."