RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry lever 22, peep sight suggestions

Henry lever 22, peep sight suggestions

My father has a lever action Henry in 22lr. A while back he asked for a peep sight. I put a Williams Foolproof for 22 grooved receivers on it for him.

Very functional but very wide for the narrow receiver of the Henry and ugly as sin. Obviously built to accommodate a wider action like the Ruger 10/22.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another peep more suitable (esthetically) for the Henry? Has anyone ever tried putting a Marbles tang peep on one (I don't have the rifle here to look at).

-ktw

Boolit Grand Master
    Just an idea, but what about one of the Skinner sights for a Marlin? Though I don't know if the receiver cover is thick enough to drill and tap.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    A Marble's tang sight would look a lot better.
    NRA Endowment Member

marbles on mine.

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

Do they need to be drilled/tapped to mount a Marbles tang peep?

-ktw

Boolit Man
    No...they don't have to be D&T'd....you can do it easily yourself...go to marbles web site...they have a video on how to do it....Did it with a Puma Lever in .357 that wasn't drilled & tapped...pretty easy for any sort of handy guy. Kids have a Henry that sure could use one too...their sights suck...still are really nice guns for the $$$$. Good luck...Scott

This is the Williams peep sight I installed on my Henry H001 Standard.

I wanted a low-profile, minimum peep, which would easily zero usung the issue front sight (which I highlighted with a daub of orange sight paint).

It's a $24 "Williams WM-96 Peep", which is normally a direct replacement for the rear barrel battle sight on military Mauser rifles. It's adjustable for w&e.

To mount it, I simply drilled a vertical hole through the forward end of the sight's forward tongue to pass a normal 6-48 scope mount screw, and D/T'd a single hole for the screw in the middle/top of the receiver cover (the cover pops off with 5 screws).
    A second receiver cover drilling (only a dimple, though), under the elevation screw tip keeps the sight from pivoting around the forward mounting scrrew should it receive any rap while handling/etc.

It took about 30mins, start to finish, for installation - including a rear barrel sight slot dovetail filler.

Last edited by pietro; 04-10-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I had a Henry Golden Boy, that I put a Marbles Tang Sight on, worked great and looked like it was meant to be.
    I couldn't find pics, must have dumped them when I sold the gun.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Took my Henry H001T out this afternoon. It was shooting great in spite of the howling wind. This is the octagon barrel model and wears a little 2.5X20 scope because the issue sights are just too hard to see. I have the Williams FP-GR and it is too wide for the skinny receiver, also it cannot be adjusted down very far. I have an extra 5D-94/36 as used on the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94. I think it would work very well but the receiver needs to be drilled and tapped. Has any one here ever mounted a receiver sight on a Henry? Are there any receiver sights that work well with them?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

After seeing Pietro's job I shamelessly copied it on my Henry. I think it makes a neat clean job on those little rifles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscn0898.jpg 
Views:	5085 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	59010
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Hmm, that sure looks nice. Now that's a WM-96 you say?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Now that's a WM-96 you say?
    That's it! Almost looks like it's made for the Henry doesn't it?
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Skinner makes some really nice CNC machined sights. I had one on my .45 Colt for a bit. 8)

http://www.skinnersights.com/henry_rifles_18.html

FWIW, Andy has since designed & now manufactures/markets his Skinner clip-on receiver peep sight, the Rimfire Groove Sight, expressly made for the Henry rifles. (and a similar one for the 9422)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Ooh, I might just have to get one of those.

Ok, I finally decided what I'm going to do. For the rear sight I ordered a Williams WGRS-54 which clamps to the receiver dovetail. For the front sight I am going to use an original Redfield Sourdough with a Williams riser block. I'll post some pics and a range report.

The WGRS showed up yesterday and I installed it. The grooves on the underside of the sight are very narrow compared to the rail on the Henry, I suppose the sight was designed more with the narrow grooves of most bolt action receivers. Anyway I widened the grooves with a file until I got a good snug fit to the rifle.

The weather was semi-cooperative today so I gave it a try after work. After a few shots I found the rifle needed a taller front sight. Fortunately I had one of about .530 with a very fine bead in my gun junkyard. That installed, I ran a box of Federal Champion through the rifle at 35 yards. Very minimal adjustment was required and I was easily hitting the ten ring at 30 yards in spite of the gusting wind and my frozen fingers. I really like this sight, the only change I would make is for Williams to make this same sight with wider grooves on the bottom for the larger dovetails.

NICE JOB! ! !

To be fair to Williams they do mention in their writeup on these dovetail sights that they fit a wide range of dovetail rails which, sadly, are not allways the exact same size. Opening up the dovetail a little with a triangle file might be a bit of a PITA but it's better than buying the sight to fit something and finding that it's simply too sloppy and loose to work with that one.

Perhaps if they had a 54S and 54L for small and large dovetail it might help. But was it really that bad to file it out a little?
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Bub
    I've been looking at the skinners since I found this thread. Their web site leaves much to be desired but aside from that I like what I see.

Now my question for those of you with more experience with thew peep sights. I have the henry .22mag w/oct. barrel, will I be better off with the peep mounted on the barrel or closer to my eye, on the rail?

FWIW, the factory sight is a blur to me now and yes getting older has a few disadvantages ;^)

Thought I would update this ancient thread. The WGRS-54 has served well on the Henry, but I have decided it's time for something nicer. Ordered me a Williams FP-GR-TK, the Foolproof receiver sight with click adjustments and target knobs for grooved receivers. Anybody ever try one of these on a Henry? I've been using the FP and the Lyman 66 on my centerfires for years with excellent results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast