RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Listing By State, Is It Hard For You To Aquire WW Lead??

Boolit Buddy

Listing By State, Is It Hard For You To Aquire WW Lead??

North Georgia. Cant find any tire shops willing to come of WW. Everyone says there is a new law
    Whoever Smelt it, Delt it -----Greenhorn44

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Boolit Master
    Greenhorn44,
    Lead wheel weights have been banned in many states and others are either in the process or looking into it. The EPA, at the federal level, has been pursuing it for some time. I think that the wheel weight manufacturers are taking the easy way out and going completely to steel and zinc. State or local laws may require a tire store to dispose of their used lead weights through an approved recycler. The national stores have contracts with their suppliers or battery companies that collect the used weights.

That's the bad news. The good news is that there are untold millions of vehicles that still have lead weights on their wheels, so it'll be some time before they are entirely gone.

Your local tire store owners/managers may be leary of a stranger walking in and asking for used weights. They may think that you are a bureaucrat out to bust them for illegally disposing of used lead weights. Perhaps you need to develop a business relationship with them. Let them know your intentions and make it worth their while to help you out.

Good luck.

Washington State just banned WW. For the sake of nature

Yet you can find it on the side of the road in eastern Washington where there are mine and such.

Another lie that no one stopped.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Texas

Not in the slightest. It would take about 1 in 5 shops to get you a 5 gal bucket full for either free or under 40 bucks.

Boolit Buddy
    California bans the use of lead wheel weights.

Old ones can be acquired from tire shops after you establish a relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    California bans the use of lead wheel weights.

Old ones can be acquired from tire shops after you establish a relationship.
    Well I had such a deal going, but then someone came in & offered 3x what I was paying. So if you have such a deal, work it hard.
    FWIW, the bucketd I was getting 1/09 were 80% useable ww/ The last buckets I got in Sept. were only about 65% useable. More & more zinc & steel wts. All Eruo cars have non lead ww from the factory. I suspect most Japanese cars mad in Japan as well. So again, location matters. In S.Cal very slim pickings.

Boolit Buddy
    Got my oil changed today at the local co-op and ask for their old weights. There weren't many this time but I was welcome to them. Get them every time I stop in and if the bucket is heavy the young fellow who works there helps this old man load them. Today I gave him a gift certificate for a large pizza at the local Godfather's. Bet I get more weights.
    Rex

Boolit Master
    Dallas Texas here. Pretty easy, even at chains.

Boolit Buddy
    NY sucks for ME.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MJR007 View Post
    NY sucks for ME.
    +1 what MJR007 said.
    John D

NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Doing ok in NY here, and guarding my sources like they're, well, gold......

Dan

Banned
    I have "magically" 8-12 buckets show up on my porch every year(good to have friends). I search out another dozen or so per year, have been doing it for several decades. I think I may have enough, but I am unsure so I keep getting them. Someday I will be able to trade the "extinct wheelweight" for pure lead I hope. I shoot mostly 50/50 ww/pure and my ww supply far outbalances my pure lead supply.........so I am a hopin I can make that trade someday.

Boolit Grand Master

Hawaii isn't too hard as I just tell the Tire Shop owners that I am casting fishing weights.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Took me six months to get a lead farm set up. Now I have 400# of smelted ingots and 600# of WW waiting to be smelted.
    I guard my lead farms jealously. Quantity of iron and zinc weights is up, but also more lead stick-ons. So far I am not paying more than $20 a bucket.

Most of the shops won't let lead go because they are under contract with their battery supplier. A few already have somebody taking them. One guy wants a ridiculous price for his.
    I'm lucky to have what I can get.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Bub
    My area of Tennessee is tough. Goodyear dealers have to sign a binding agreement to recycle through a registered hazmat facility. Other chains won't give or sell. One Bridgestone dealer sells 5gal for $90, because he has a constant customer who pays that much. Finally found one independant who gives me about 10# a week. I take it. Farmer's Co-op sells it $40 a bucket, but they rarely have a full one and still charge 40 for a partial.

Boolit Mold
    not sure sorry

In Remembrance

I still have a friend or two still living. I get ww from them, car dealerships, found lead in vacant home cleaning or worst case buying them.Robert

Boolit Master
    I don't have any problem, I buy ingots from our vendors.

Even though I have a good source for WW's, I by all the ingots I can afford. After you figure in time and propane to melt WW's, buying ingots is pretty cheap.

Boolit Buddy
    New Mexico I live in a car culture! tire shops every where. a little beer/$$ and a little spanish and i have all the wheel weights i need. Also two of my former students and one of my current students work in/own tire shops. So after that happened i don't even have to pay. I just bring them donuts or help them with their math work.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.