RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckets of Boolits

Buckets of Boolits

I've been reading tons of posts on this forum the last week or so and I keep noticing piles of freshly made boolits that everyone is making. My question,
    does everyone have time to shoot all of them. It looks like a full time fun job if you are.
    XD 40

My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a ***** house or a politician.. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" Harry Truman

Boolit Master
    It is a fun job. I think most of us cast way more than we shoot! I've got thousands of boolits packed away that will probably never got loaded, let alone shot.
    Maineboy

Boolit Master

Welcome Vyrone

Casting bullets is a lot of fun. Like maineboy a lot of us stock up for the "future", we even make bullets in calibers we don't even have guns for! Which gives us a reason to buy new guns, molds, etc. It's an addiction.

Too right!! it is an addiction..

Cant think of any individual that may used up 100# of beeswax/lanolin/castor/etc lube concoction in their lifetime,
    or the 50 tons of lead/antimony/tin ingots stored under the house..

But it is the aspiration of most of us to own, cast and stock them up.... the more the merrier.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Suo Gan
    I didn't need that visual image.
    Blacksmith

Boolit Master
    I cast up a bunch, shoot a few, throw them back in the pot and cast up a bunch of a different caliber. The only ones I keep a lot of is my Lee .430 310gr flying barrel.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    So far I've had the time to get to loading all of them I've cast , there have at times been several years between casting and shooting some though . I do hope to correct that when retirement rolls around provided I'm not to busy with something else . Casting in the dead of winter seems to work better for me as well since the snow tends to slow up outdoor activities .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I've got a few coffee tins full of boolits that I now know don't shoot well in my guns. Pretty much like the saying 'eyes are bigger than your stomach'. Once I get the proper mold, I'll be throwing those into the pot.

Boolit Master
    The greatest thing about casting bullets is they CAN be remelted and used in a different mold. I have some that I cast JUST to see what they actually looked like. One pointy .30 caliber mold has never been shot, but I have a small can of them! I cast on my back porch where it gets real hot in summer, so I cast in the cooler (NOT colder) months

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrone View Post
    My question,
    does everyone have time to shoot all of them. It looks like a full time fun job if you are.
    It helps if you have a few NFA guns on hand, my 9mm SMG will eat a couple of thousand rounds at each range session. Bring a couple of friends along and the expended rounds count for the day can keep the lead pot running for the rest of the week.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Ahh it is good to laugh at yourself every once in a while , ya I will probably never burn through the couple hundred .54 minnie balls I have or the 3000 ish .430 310 gr lee " flying barrels" as Nsp 64 so aptly named them but I will need to cast some more .358 160gr semiwadcutters sometime in the next decade and some .250 105 gr smoothside for paper patching probqably in the next year or 2 . Here's to hoping to live long enough to burn up all my boolits

In Remembrance

While casting and the mould is running good I'll cast up a pile. They may last a year, or if my guys and gals get to shooting I may have to go at it again. I have lots of help shooting up boolits.

Boolit Master
    You'd be surprised how fast you can go thru a bunch of bullets, especially if they're for plinking in the rifles. Last year I was casting like crazy and I figured I wouldn't need any more for a real long time. Nope, I had to cast some more.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

You have to have a certain stockpile of boolits waiting to be sized, lubed, and loaded. I have containers of them in different stages. I want to always have at least 200-500 boolits in any caliber that are ready to be loaded. There is nothing worse than wanting to load up a batch, and find that you have to go out and cast up a batch. Or worse yet, smelt a batch to be able to cast. It just get so ugly at that point, that you might even get desprate enough to go buy "j" bullets!

Boolit Master
    I got to shoot about 300 rounds today and hope to do it again tomorrow. 45 Colt with real black powder and my own boolit design, Life is good! And I head a rumor that the state is building a new shooting range within a 10 minute drive of me.

prs

Banned

My problem is, I have a bunch already cast, but it never seems to be the one I want to load and shoot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    My problem is, I have a bunch already cast, but it never seems to be the one I want to load and shoot.
    I have the same problem. I keep buying .45 caliber moulds, casting 500 or more in the first session, find out they aren't exactly what I was looking for, buy another mould, repeat. I have over 100 lbs of .45 boolits that I'll probably never shoot.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

It's part addiction. Once I get the moulds hot and start to get into the rhythm I don't want to stop.

And I can empty ALOT of cases in one day.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold

Talking

It has come to my attention that there are boolits in this world who are being detained and imprisoned in peoples garages and basements with out due legal process. It is my aim to free these boolits from their captors, and allow them to exist peacefully in the berm of my local range. I'm forming a new organization "Free the Boolits" to help these poor boolits who are being cast, but then stored away for the future.

"Prisoners of caliber" are boolits, brass or primers imprisoned solely for their peaceful existance or because of their caliber, gas checkedness or other personal characteristics. Many have never been charged with a crime. Free the Boolits seeks the immediate release of all prisoners of caliber.

You can help by sending me your imprisoned boolits and allowing them freedom to go where they will after leaving the barrel of my gun.

Boolit Master
    Pstew, you are such a selfless, kind hearted guy that we are humbled in your presence!
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast