Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked the gap measurement at twenty thousandths. That is with a newly trimmed case.The hole in the sleeve measures .430". I think I used an 11mm drill to drill this hole and it is an easy fit over the case .
    As far as using nylon for the sleeve goes , I thought the nylon would be tough enough to withstand repeated use and also provide a buffer between the two steel parts . As it happens only gentle tapping is needed to form the crimp and this shock absorbing function is not really necessary and I now believe steel or aluminium could be used if that is all that can be found .
    I came up with this improvement while I was comparing ammunition loaded with a Lee Loader to ammunition loaded with a set of Lee dies . The caliber was 30-30 and all rounds fired in my 94 Winchester . All rounds were fed through the magazine and that is why they had to be crimped .

All documented on another forum . Here if anyone is interested .

http://garagegunsmithing.com/index.p...php&f=32&t=756

Boolit Buddy
    heathydee,

Thanks a bunch for posting that link. Very well done and informative comparison.

Did you build you bushing to bottom out in the top of the die on the relieved portion? I'm definitely going to sit down and measure up my various kits and draw specs for the machine shop guys at my work to make some of these for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bulla View Post
    heathydee,
    Did you build you bushing to bottom out in the top of the die on the relieved portion?
    No Dave . The reduced diameter part of the sleeve is only there to center it in the die body .

Boolit Master
    I frequent the same local gun shops around here. When I spot something I may interested in, but not willing to pay the asking prices, I just wait a few months and see if they have moved. Then I will ask what they will sell it for?

Today I picked up two whack'em LL for ten bucks each, a .300 Savage and like new .30-06.

I still have the original Lee loaders I bought in the early 1960s and others have picked up since.

When things were budget tight, had a Mauser 98K at the time and a Lee loader for it. 8 mm Boxer primed brass was not that plentiful, so had a buddy rechamber the Mauser for the 8mm/06 wildcat. But then what to do? I contacted Lee and asked if they could ream my 8 mm die body out to 06 dimensions and what I wanted it for, they said yes. Sent it in and got back in a few days, with NC for the work or shpg. I have never forgotten that and have bought many Lee products since. Thanks to Lee, a few grains of Bullseye and some cream of wheat, I fire formed many a case and put more than a little venison on the table with that 8 mm/06.

When I later sold the Mauser, the guy wanted the LL too, so it went bye, bye.

What a great thread!

I'm glad these kits are still being made, although in not as many calibres as before. Some are becoming collector's items, that's for sure!

I read through all the posts on this thread and cannot add too much other than to say that Richard Lee's idea is still going strong. LL used to hold records for tiny groups. I don't know how many records (if any) are still on the books.

Even in 2012, I'll take a LL to the range, if I've got one for that cartridge. I'm still making memories with them!

http://www.303british.com/id31.html
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Boolit Master

The old classic lee loader as I am sure someone has already pointed out is a great hand loading tool that has won a few national matches. Its truly amazing how accurate the ammo is that this tool produces. Its only draw back is its greatest asset and that is it neck sizes only. So if you are using it to load ammo for your gun that was fired in someone elses gun you could be asking for trouble.

Boolit Master
    I, along with many others am sure, looking for one in .410 shotgun.

Boolit Buddy
    Heathydee,

Got my bushing made! Had mine made for my 45-70 and it works great. Absolutely beautiful crimp. Can't wait to try it with some live rounds. All I've done so far was a couple dummy rounds with components I took to work. Didn't want to get in trouble for taking primers or powder so just took a couple empty cases and some boolits to try it. We used the white delrin plastic and it looks just like yours. I wanted steel but since the machinist was being nice enough to do it, I didn't "insist" and let him run with what he had.

Now I just need..... lets see.... 30-30, 32-20, 35 Rem, 357, 44 mag, 45 colt... dang, better think of a "gift" for the machinist!

p.s. Figured out that it also can be used when belling the case mouth for cast lead boolits with the little Lee expander tool. Just slip it over the case a little ways, drop the expander down from the top and hold it so they are aligned with about half of the expander sticking out the top and give it a tap. Nice squarely aligned flare.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    I, along with many others am sure, looking for one in .410 shotgun.
    I think I'm going to break down and make one myself. The shotgun LEE Loaders don't resize, so they'll be easier.

There are still a lot of metallic cartridges I wish they were made for.

Boolit Mold
    I have three Lee Loader and finally got one out and used it. It made for some fun loading and nice plinking 223 ammo.

My video:
    http://youtu.be/sjRzeZJaHpI

So Ben-WSU, are you hooked yet?

A tip for getting the best accuracy with LEE loaders is to try several different powders. Even if you have a full set of dippers they are graduated in .3cc increments which can be quite a bit of difference in charge weight. Since you can't vary charge weight vary what powder you use.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of cheap wad punches from Harbor Fright. I punch disc out of soap boxes and put them in the bottom of Lee dippers to adjust powder charges. When i find a pet load i make a dipper out of a shell casing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    A tip for getting the best accuracy with LEE loaders is to try several different powders. Even if you have a full set of dippers they are graduated in .3cc increments which can be quite a bit of difference in charge weight. Since you can't vary charge weight vary what powder you use.
    For best accuracy in any cartridge, use several different powders until you find that magical powder/boolit combination.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Overkill,
    If you have success with making a .410 "Lee" loader, be sure to give us a blow by blow on your progress. I've wanted a .410 for a long time. By watching you, maybe I'll be able to, too.

Boolit Mold
    Overkill,

Yes, the LL is addicting. I need to try more loads in my 223 and try and find something faster (with jacketed bullets). I typically shoot at gongs with the 223 so accuracy doesn't have to be fantastic.

I have about 750 bullets for the 223 that are from a 22-Bator mold (Midsouthshooters supply) that I need to try. Maybe the LL will work with that.

My other LL is for a 243. I have never used it, but when I loaded 70 grain Speer TNT bullets and used dippers with (I think) Varget, I got fantastic groups. Even a light load in 243 gives impressive velocity, so I wasn't worried about getting to max. I will have to take the 243, the LL, and some components to the range for some fun.

-Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Hello Ben,

I like that name, has a catchy ring to it.

Ben

Love my Lee Loader in 44 Special.

Lee loaders are just great. I'm putting together a range box for my grandson and oldest granddaughter and have put in acouple of loaders so far with other stuff. Loader were the first thing they learned to load with.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I learned to load with a Lee Loader in .222 Remington. I still have the trophy I won at the club match it really makes you feel good to shoot well with ammo you made.

I have LL's for all the common calibers I shoot except the two I am missing are 6.8mm SPC and .410 shotgun I keep looking. My Lee Loaders go in my bug out bag.

If they ever outlaw reloading a progressive press is going to be hard to hide but a Lee Loader will fit just about anywhere.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Overkill,
    If you have success with making a .410 "Lee" loader, be sure to give us a blow by blow on your progress. I've wanted a .410 for a long time. By watching you, maybe I'll be able to, too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Lee...item19ce603049

They're so cheap I may as well buy one!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast