RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

I remember when the Lee loader was just about the only product Lee made. They were slow, but could load ammo of the same quality as could be produced on the most expensive Hollywood set up.

I have an old Belding and Mull hand tool for 38 Special. Not any bigger than a deck of cards, but produces fine ammo. Slow..very slow.

Today the emphasis seems to be on faster and more. That is fine if folks NEED faster and more. However, faster and more does not mean better than slower and less.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    many years ago, I was a range officer at a local sport shop that had an indoor range that had bulleye leagues. Dick Lee sr was a shooter on the league.On night we were talking about bullets and molds.He asked me if I have ever tryed a light bullet in my 357 for light target loads.I said that the lightest bullet I found was the 148gr wc. The following week he gave me a mold for a 116gr wc and said to try it and see how it works and if it didnt I could throw it out. I still have that mold because as far as I know, It's a one of a kind and given to me by Dick sr himself.I don't remember how well it worked in my Ruger,but a fellow ranger officer love it in his S&W because he had a wrist issue and the light bullet recoiled much less even in light target loads. It shot quite well for him. I will have to try it again sometime.I have alway had good results with Lee products also
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I came across this handy spreadsheet Lee Dipper cross reference a week or so ago.

I wish I could remember where so I could give the original author his due.

http://www.ziptar.com/reloading/LeeDippers20100105.xls

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    500 SMP primers will fit into a single 35mm film canister. Keep 2 handy. A lb of a low volume powder like N340 (7gr/load - IIRC/YMMV) will get you nearly 1000 reloads, even using a dipper. Add scrounged lead, a good mould (like the 358156HP) and a campfire/stove and you are in business for a good long while... all in a 'kit' weighing less than 3 lbs.

THAT is the "advantage"...

EXACTLY!

Sometimes we need to rethink our tooling.

when was the last time you saw someone in hunting camp with a Dillon in the tent?

Boolit Mold
    That is the advantage of the Lee Loaders, including the shotgun sets. We shoot skeet down at the hunting camp, sometimes, and I usually get to shoot longer than everyone else because I bring a .50 caliber ammo can with my little black box Lee Classic Loader for 2.75 Inch 12 gauge with the nylon crimp starters, a pound of powder, 100 primers, wads, and 100 ozs of shot.

However, the rest of the guys are getting wise to me. Now they bring extra shot and components to hunting camp. That's ok. I tell them I get to keep one box of empties for every 100 hulls shot. I have a perpetual stash of once-fired hulls, and they get to shoot at least 75 more shots.

ST762

I'm new to reloading and just bought my first Lee Loader in7.62x54r and am looking forward to trying it out.

Boolit Mold
    plmitch,

The LCL is a great way to learn. it is how I learned, an I still use them.

ST762

Boolit Mold
    I aslo started with one many years ago. Mine was for 44 mag.

Boolit Master
    ive been buying them when i see them cheap(<$20) even for cartridges i dont shoot.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    I've got to get a x54 for my Mosin...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Just came across a few at a local flea market. Interesting tools.
    Last edited by FWest; 08-05-2011 at 04:51 AM.

Boolit Mold
    that 22-250 shoud make some nice ammo.

ST762

And if you want to get rid of them, I'll buy the 7.7. Been looking for one for a while.

I sat outside and got 23 loads out of a single 303 British case before it finally swelled too much and I had to full length size it a few months back. Best spring afternoon in recent memory.

Boolit Grand Master
    How much do you want for the 6.5 Jap? I'd be interested.

Boolit Buddy
    When paper patching I bell the neck a bit to aid loading the patched bullets in my 303 cases.

Last night I was complaining that I had two sets of 303 dies and neither gives a decent squeeze to the cartridge neck after it is loaded. I then remembered that a number of decades ago when I had little funds, that I used to neck size using a loading die from a 30-06 Lee Loader.
    I found the old Lee Loader on a back shelf,.. pulled it down and sure enough, the shoulder to neck transition is a perfect neck crimper for a 303.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure I posted this in this thread but here some useful accouterments and tips to accompany the Lee Loader;

Excellent way to start reloading, I started that way myself in the early ‘60s.

A couple tips;

Get;
    One of the larger MTM storage boxes, one with an internal tray, as it will hold all your reloading stuff.

A plastic headed mallet. These are available at most hardware/lumber yards.

Some 0000 steel wool to clean the outside of the neck. A small tuft wrapped around the neck and twisted does a quick job. May also be used with discretion to clean the outside of the cases.

A clean bore brush one size larger than the caliber you are loading for on a small pistol rod to clean the inside of the necks. Push it straight in and slightly twist pulling it out. Usually one pass cleans the carbon and debris out pretty well.

A small screw driver to clean the primer pocket but the Lee primer pocket cleaner is inexpensive and works well.

The Lee chamfer tool to chamfering the inside of the case mouth and the outside if necessary. A small knife blade will do also for the inside.

The Lee hand priming tool is almost a must unless you want the be-jesus scared out of you when a primer pops tapping them in.

A Lee powder funnel, works much better than pouring through the sizer.

A tapered punch or needle nosed pliers can be used to flair the case mouth if you are loading cast bullets.

A loading block to hold the cases that you’ve put powder into.

Nice, or next to have;

Lee’s powder dippers.
    A good powder scale.
    A powder trickler.
    At least one good reloading manual, Lyman’s is recommended.
    A dial caliper.

All the above will fit into the MTM box.

Most of the above will also be required or useful when you advance to a single or progressive press.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I just made a flareing tool with a piece of rod a few thou other my intended diameter.
    Chuck it in the drill and file a every long taper .
    Few thou other an 2" or so.
    Polish of course.
    Heat the other end and push it into a drilled handle.
    The narrow end should go in the sized cases and if you file a flat you can mark a Diameter or two for different sizes.
    Put in push twist and pull out.
    Perfect.
    Well works for me.

For crimpimg the 30-30.

Lightly tap the shell in the shell holeder with the die turned up side down.
    Rotate it a bit and light taps should get used to it.

I have see someone make a "spacer" that goes in the die body and fits the case with tha appropriate legnth.
    Gives a uniform crimp and holds the case aligned in the die.
    Good for one length..but could I suppose make it adjustable.

Powder tricker use an empty some other type case.
    I rest mine on my ammo box lid. It has a sort of groove in it and is pretty good for the height.
    I just roll it away from me with a bit of powder in it and it trickles out nice.
    Empty case when finished and the other calibre is so I can't reload it by some unforseen reason.

Hope it helps
    Barra

Has anone tried opening up the neck sizeing part of the die to allow for correct neck tension when seating fat boolits, eg (.316/.317) in 303 british?

Boolit Master
    Yeah.. I honed mine out with some emery in a slotted rod.
    The same as you would a cylinder bore in a car.
    Then a bit of polish.

Mine comes out now perfect at 308 in my 30-30 and not real tight.
    I then use my "flaring tool to open it up for cast or Paper patching.

Works well.
    I also "adjusted " it to only partially size the neck

I also have bogged mine up with some plastic steel on a "well used case" to make a more as if " cut with my guns chamber reamer" type fit and alignment.

Don't know if it does noth'in ...but..me cases don't get worked hard anyway.

Barra

Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Yeah.. I honed mine out with some emery in a slotted rod.
    The same as you would a cylinder bore in a car.
    Then a bit of polish.

Mine comes out now perfect at 308 in my 30-30 and not real tight.
    I then use my "flaring tool to open it up for cast or Paper patching.

Works well.
    I also "adjusted " it to only partially size the neck

I also have bogged mine up with some plastic steel on a "well used case" to make a more as if " cut with my guns chamber reamer" type fit and alignment.

Don't know if it does noth'in ...but..me cases don't get worked hard anyway.

Barra
    Nice work Barra. I've just ordered a set in 303 brit. I'll have a fiddle with the sizer when the kit arrives.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast