Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2ADvertise here
RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Grand Master

You need to be careful, as they only resize at the neck in most cases. If you use brass from several different guys the reloads might not work in all of them.
    I'verun into this with 38 Spec, .357, .35 Rem, .30-06 and 8 MM.
    All done uising brass from several different guns and it can be a real pain!!
    Lee Loaders, unless they have changed in the last 10 years, only neck size bottle necked cases. Straight sided cases are full length sized. Lee Loaders have no carbide insert, so lubing should be done. Some straight sided cases are fairly difficult to size, and do need a good case lube; the most difficult case to size with my 7 Lee Loaders is the 44 Magnum. It does take some pounding and lube...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    Yes. I agree. Just did 25 44 mag cases, because I lost my shell holder for the RCBS Rockchuker. Darn it... I sprayed the cases with my case lube of alcohol and lanolin, let them dry, and still felt like I was driving spikes into a rail road cross tie with my plastic mallet. Anyway, got them sized... But was sure nuff a chore....

Boolit Master

I'd like to know if Imperial sizing wax would have been a bit easier?
    Dan in FL - Call me TD Savage 219 & 220 rifle/shotguns wanted.

I use Imperial wax with my Lee Loader all the time. I am 77 yrs young and sizing is not hard at all with Imperial. I have also used Redding case lube in the past but the Imperial is much easier to wipe off with an old towel than the other lubes. my experience anyway, james

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, Imperial should work well. I have never heard anything bad about Imperial, but I found an excellent lube before I got to try any Imperial. About 22-24 years ago I heard about Mink Oil Boot Dressing Cream and one day walking through the local Walgreen's, in the shoe polish isle, I spotted a jar. Took it home and tried it. Works great, not one stuck case since (everything from 44 Magnum through 30-06, 303 British, plus a half dozen other rifle cartridges), cheap and easy to find...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Vendor Sponsor

If you have a Drill Press or small Arbor Press you can use it to push cases into the Lee Loader Die. It is much easier than beating on it with a mallet.

.44's shouldn't be that hard in any case.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Hey Randy, I like the drill press idea. Might have to try it--when I get a drill press. james

Exclamation

Need to get an arbor press from harbor Freight.
    You could make your own arbor press with a set of 2x 4's bolted together, or angle iron or even rigid pipe pieces.
    No money for seventy dollar arbor press, but possess scrap wood or steel.
    This would be a large leverage type device.
    Also, a small hydraulic jack and an H type form would press in and out the shells as would a large screw type C clamp.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 01-02-2020 at 09:49 AM.

Also a six inch screw type machinist vice or just a six inch vice will press the lubed shell into the sizing die.
    Then a short piece of steel stock to push the shell out.
    Of course you have to protect the shell with a flat piece of steel or hardwood where the vise jaw applies pressure to the
    Shell to press it into the die.
    The shell will get the base buggered up by the serrations on the vise jaw.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213