Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    With all the hammering and brass 'work up ' happening with a Lee Loader, how often do you Lee Loader aficionados anneal your brass?
    I just realised that a.45 ACP LL is FLS, and takes a fair bit of oomph to do so.
    Hence this question.
    TIA
    They will size a lot easier with case sizing lube. You can easily make your own or get pure lanolin and use it straight. You can mix the pure liquid lanolin at 12 parts alcohol to 1 lanolin and use in a small spray bottle. Or the Lee case sizing stuff works fine also. Any case that FL sizes in the Lee Loader should be lubed, especially the 30 Carbine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Just took sizing lube as a givin when sizing straight walled cases with the Lee Loader.

Especially when sizing 30 carbine.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks JCW & Larry
    I did do some 7x57 with the Lee Loader, which were quite a breeze, using a 1kg lead 'muffin' as a base, and a piece of wood as the hammer
    Yup,I do use lanolin (get it by the kilo , and I use it for all my lubing,sizing work) with the .45 ACP LL, and after whacking myself on the L hand /thumb etc-cant put the cuss words here-realised that the itty bitty .45 takes a lot more whacking.I must get me a plastic mallet and try that...
    So generally, NO annealing is required when reloading with the Lee Loader?
    I usually anneal my cases after 5 firings
    Cheers
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Hello All
    don't know how often anyone checks here but I too have been a long time Lee Product user been trying to locate a reasonable price 300gr. FP 45 cal (.457) bullet mold the other guys want so much for theirs it's beyond what i want to pay so i wrote Lee and asked them if they plan on making a 300gr. bullet mold they said no not enough people asking them for one but reading all the forums here some for silhouette shooting some bench rest shooters and other competitions site deer hunting sites and they are all asking for a 300gr. FP 45cal (.457) mold so what is your say on this matter and could you all write Lee and ask them for a 300gr. FP 45cal (.457) bullet mold

How much is too much? Just curiouse. If you want to see lee make this mold you may be wanting to spend 19.99 ish? If there is enough interest in this mold i could do a run of them sometime. Id have to think about cost but usually a 2 cavity mold is about 50 bucks.

Boolit Bub
    Fieldmaster,

Lee makes a 340 gr .457 mold that is $21 on Midway. That isn't close enough for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke View Post
    I bought one in 308 Win when I was twelve years old, killed my first legal Javelina,deer and elk with ammo I loaded with it, I retired it when I was fifteen, I still have it.

I still have my original home made hammer built just for the Lee loader. It was made by a old Hermit I met one day out it the hill's and became good friends with, ED Whetstone was his name I called him Flintstone, he was from Wisconsin had marital problems told the judge and his ex- wife good luck with collecting any alimony from him and disappeared into S. AZ and became a prospector, hard rock miner, and mechanic second to none, he made my hammer out of solid brass both handle and head, knurled the handle and inscribed the head.

A few years later I came real close to killing him one night about two in the morning. He had a Zinc mine on the SW end of the Hauchuca MTNS, he would work there all week then on Friday I would come up and relieve him while he went to town for the weekend, I had a old hound named Dooley he would go with me, so this one Friday I met Flintstone on the road and he said to be careful at night because a bear had been coming around the shack , so on Saturday night about two in the morning old Dooley woke me up and he was baying and growling under the shanty and about that time I heard crunch crunch out side in the leaves, this shanty had four steps up to the front door with a small landing at the top, I kept a old gold pan there to feed Dooley in, the door didn't have a lock so I propped a chair up against it at night, anyway the crunch crunch led right up to and on the step's and then I heard the gold pan go tumbling off the landing well by this time I was out of bed and had the 44 in my hand leveled at the door, hammer back and about that time the door came flying in off the hinges and then a gun went off but it wasn't mine and in the muzzle flash I made out the silhouette of Flintstone, he had kicked the door in and fired a shot from his 45 into the ceiling at the same time, he was drunk had a couple of bar queens in his truck that was stuck down the canyon and had hiked up and decided to scare me in the process. I was sixteen at the time.

MEMORIES

GOOD LUCK
    and that right there explains why I read thru old threads that I'm not even interested in.....

Boolit Man
    ^^ We need a like button.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Boolit Mold
    Did LEE ever make a Lee Loader for the .410 bore shells? For that matter, does ANYBODY? I was looking at an MEC press, but to set it up for .410, you're looking at $109+ per die set. That sounds a bit much, considering what 3-die sets for pistol go for. TC in Colorado.

Boolit Master
    This page has a listing of most of the stuff Lee has made including the 410 loaders. The .410 tools usually go for $80 to $110 each.

http://leeloaderdata.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Apple Juice View Post
    Did LEE ever make a Lee Loader for the .410 bore shells? For that matter, does ANYBODY? I was looking at an MEC press, but to set it up for .410, you're looking at $109+ per die set. That sounds a bit much, considering what 3-die sets for pistol go for. TC in Colorado.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I had a Lee Loader for .410, sold it last year after I converted to Brass shells formed from .303.
    Ideal with 11.5 gr Blue Dot and 1/2 oz no 7 1/2.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    This page has a listing of most of the stuff Lee has made including the 410 loaders. The .410 tools usually go for $80 to $110 each.

http://leeloaderdata.com/
    Yep. They are pretty rare to find intact at a decent price. Lots of them went to Europe where the .410 is actually more commonly used. I keep mine busy feeding my .410 levergun.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Lee loader in .38 spl.Worked very well this was back in the mid 60`s..Only problem was Mom and Dad griped about the wack wack with the hammer.Sooooooo, to keep the peace I just got a C clamp to run the cases into the sizing die and that stopped the fussing.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    The high cost of factory .410 ammo causes the demand for the Lee loader in .410. I had one but never had a .410.
    The truth is paying $100 is not too bright when you can buy a used MEC for less money and the MEC is a much better loader.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ironsights View Post
    Yep. They are pretty rare to find intact at a decent price. Lots of them went to Europe where the .410 is actually more commonly used. I keep mine busy feeding my .410 levergun.
    EDG

Just chiming in here, since I use the Lee Loader. Someday I have dreams of a fancy press, etc. But it was a budget fight to get my Lee (+powder, boolits, primers...) so not happening anytime soon.
    My usually thrifty, pinch-penny wife "couldn't see the point" of reloading. "Are you really saving that much??" Yes, 20 cents vs 84 a round dear! "But your time and energy and..." and having an hour of peace and quiet while I whack some cartridges together??

Nope, I still love Life. I left that last part off.
    -KF (Dave)

Boolit Mold
    Old interesting thread. I started in 1973 with a 30-30 loader and a box of 150 gr Speer bullets, during the 70's I used Lee Loaders as my only reloading tool for 44 Magnum and 38 Special.

I still have my first 30-30 Lee Loader with a badly faded price tag of 9.95. They all made good ammunition just too time. The first accessories I bought were a Pacific scale a set of the Lee powder dippers and a RCBS powder trickler and then I could charge my handloads the way I wanted . I still have those too, the 80s saw me buying my first press a Lyman O Mag then later a Dillion Square deal one of 4 dillions I have today buying reloading equipment from time to time until today just getting started with boolit casting. My advice to new reloaders is always start with the basics be safe first make some good ammunition enjoy the experience and then move up to a progressive if that's what you want for quantity reloading but don't start with one. Reloaders always find a need for a Lee Loader or a single stage press no matter what other faster reloading equipment they own experimenting with loads in small batches for one example. One big advantage to Lee Loaders is you can transport them to work up loads with little equipment . I will say when I bought that single stage Lyman O Mag press #55 powder measure and a set of Lyman carbide 38/357 Lyman dies in 1982 all from the Gander Mountain catalog I thought it was wonderful for the number of cartridges per hour I could reload with good results too. I still have all three today , when I got my first Dillon Square deal in .38 special in 1987 all I could say was wow!

Boolit Mold
    You need to be careful, as they only resize at the neck in most cases. If you use brass from several different guys the reloads might not work in all of them.
    I'verun into this with 38 Spec, .357, .35 Rem, .30-06 and 8 MM.
    All done uising brass from several different guns and it can be a real pain!!

Boolit Master
    I always like to try the first half dozen fresh reloads for fit before forging ahead and reloading a whole bunch.
    It pays to check every time.

Banned

I have a few Lee loaders, but have only ever used the shotgun ones. I got a complete one in .30-06 a while back in some stuff, I may have to break that out and give it a try soon.

Boolit Master
    If you make up a kit for reloading away from the bench, don't be tempted to remove the primers from original cartons and dump them all together in a jar or other container. I don't want to take anyone to task, but earlier in this old thread I saw where someone had said they dumped 500 primers together in a 35 mm film can for convenience.
    That is a BOMB.
    No one noticed or called the person posting this bad piece of advice.
    I hate being the one but it had to be said. If he edits his post and removes that statement, that's it.
    Post #89
    Please remember to keep all primers in original package for safe keeping until you actually use them to prime a cartridge.
    Never dump them willy nilly together in a jar or can.
    A very dangerous proposition.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 11-10-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast