WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Source for .257, 117-gr RN mold?

Boolit Master

Source for .257, 117-gr RN mold?

A good friend has an old Winchester 25-35 that he would like to shoot. I've been doing some loading for him but have been unable to find bullets, either cast or jacketed, to use. I may be wrong, but I've only seen .257 117-gr bullets from Hornady (lead RN and jacketed Flex Tip) that will work in the tube magazine, and there are none available. I assume it's not in the Top 10 of popular cartridges for reloaders.

I assumed, incorrectly, that Lyman would have a suitable mold. RCBS, Lee and Saeco also do not show a suitable mold. Accurate, from whom I got my mold for .45-70, posts that he does not make molds smaller than .30.

NOE does have a design that will work.

Am I missing another mold maker?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like NOE is about your best bet for their 115 gr. FP ... they also carry 9 other FP designs , although lighter in weight .
    The Flat Points are for tubular fed lever action rifles but if you single load or have a Savage in 25-35 pointed boolits can be used and that adds 5 more NOE designs to choose from .
    I can vouch for NOE moulds I have several and they are 5 star , top shelf moulds .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    on a side note, ive noticed over the years that jacketed bullets from hornady are a once a year or once every other year "seasonal" offering, when you do see them available stock up real good if your wanting them because they dont last long. another option for ammo is sellier bellot 6.5x52r, its the same as 25-35 Winchester.

Boolit Master

Hornady released a EXCELLENT 110FTX made expressly for the 25/35. I shoot them in my 25/45 with excellent results as Im just a little faster then the 25/35 ballistics (2600 fps vs 2400)

Many RN bullets have fallen from manufacturers inventories cause folks are enamored by hi BC bullets and think RN is useless enemy. So everyone looses some of the best bullet designs for hunting. Cause thise of us in the know realize these fancy hi BC bullets dont reveal substantial advantages UNTIL about 200 yards.

Id surf forums sell areas hoping someone has some to sell. Im down to a low supply myself. Bht those FTX are a excellent substitute.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...or-pb/#reviews

I don’t know if that is what you are looking for, not in stock but you can “sign in” and you will get email when in stock.

Boolit Master
    I'd buy these if they were available. At least I haven't found them in stock at the usual suspects. If you know if someone has them, please ping me.

Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Looks like NOE is about your best bet for their 115 gr. FP ... they also carry 9 other FP designs , although lighter in weight .
    The Flat Points are for tubular fed lever action rifles but if you single load or have a Savage in 25-35 pointed boolits can be used and that adds 5 more NOE designs to choose from .
    I can vouch for NOE moulds I have several and they are 5 star , top shelf moulds .
    Gary
    It does appear that NOE is the way to go. I've heard nothing but good about them.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...or-pb/#reviews

I don’t know if that is what you are looking for, not in stock but you can “sign in” and you will get email when in stock.
    Thank you. I had seen this mold, but wanted to stay closer to the standard 117-gr load.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I can't find a listing for that one (which would, of course, have been perfect). There are two rusted single-cavity versions on GB, but starting at $80.

Thank you,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Thank you. I have the dies; just looking for the right mold.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Also check E-bay, a lot of old molds on there.

Boolit Bub

Good luck on finding a off shelf mold, I just ordered a custom made 125.00 (2 cavity) , any thing .257 is like finding hens teeth

Boolit Master

Hard to find for sure. I have been looking about 20 yrs and just got 1 about a month ago from an on line auction;Lyman 257325 RN GC'd 2 cav like new. The RCBS will shoot well but as stated, it is pointed so your limited with a tube mag. P{erhaps you could get a group buy together from one of these custom makers. If so.I'd be interested.

Boolit Grand Master

Noe has a 115 grain FP mould in stock , aluminum , 2 cavity - 1 cavity is plain base and the other cavity is gas check . I don't know if I would like 1- PB & 1- GC ... but if it strikes your fancy ... there is ONE In Stock and it's priced at $91.00 ... they recently had a price increase and this must be the new price for two cavity aluminum moulds . But it is there , and available .
    If you go to the NOE forum , scroll down to the Inventory Runs and read the directions about starting / requesting an inventory run ...something that's carried but out of stock ... 5 people sign on and it will be ran . Much easier and faster than a Group Buy or 1 off custom job .
    I got a 4 cavity 9mm Luger mould with Gas Check boolits made that way ... it didn't take long for 4 other people to sign on ... painless way to get someting they normally stock made up .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Also check E-bay, a lot of old molds on there.
    Thank you. I'm keeping that in mind.

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Noe has a 115 grain FP mould in stock , aluminum , 2 cavity - 1 cavity is plain base and the other cavity is gas check . I don't know if I would like 1- PB & 1- GC ... but if it strikes your fancy ... there is ONE In Stock and it's priced at $91.00 ... they recently had a price increase and this must be the new price for two cavity aluminum moulds . But it is there , and available .
    If you go to the NOE forum , scroll down to the Inventory Runs and read the directions about starting / requesting an inventory run ...something that's carried but out of stock ... 5 people sign on and it will be ran . Much easier and faster than a Group Buy or 1 off custom job .
    I got a 4 cavity 9mm Luger mould with Gas Check boolits made that way ... it didn't take long for 4 other people to sign on ... painless way to get someting they normally stock made up .
    Gary
    Definitely something to investigate.

Thank you.

Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life