Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Loader

Boolit Grand Master
    eljefeoz,
    Use any load data reference you would use when using you your press. Weigh your loads while working up the test rounds and see which dipper matches your needs.

Boolit Buddy
    Got me another in 7x57 to use with 145 and 168 RCBS CB
    So,I flare the case neck and seat the CB over the primed case, with a charge of powder in it, keep the whole set on the depriming base,slide the body die on top, then tap it in place to seat CB.Any advice on this?
    TIA

Boolit Grand Master
    Just follow the instructions. They are complete. If it seems too easy, it is. Really not hard at all. Are you using a published load data reference? If the mouth of the case is still too enlarged to function in the action, use the Lee Loader to start a crimp. Be gentile here. It is easy to use too much force and deform the cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW. I was reloading some 30-30 ammo with 147 gr. FMHBT (M2 pulls) with a Herter's die set. When I went to seat the bullets, they went in way too easy. Measured the expander and found it is about .307", too big. Didn't want to reduce the expander 'cause I've used it for cast bullets and it works OK. So I went back to my good old Lee Loader and finished reloading the test ammo (Loader sized the neck to roughly .303"-.304" ID, perfect for my use.). Yep, that old "primitive" loading system (aka; "whack-a-mole") came to the rescue.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks 725
    I plan to use published data for a bullet weight and regulate a load /case /dipper /powder
    I'm comfortable using CB in a regular press, but the post mouth flare and CB seating with the LL had me wondering how.I will do a few and revert
    Cheers

Banned

Why not get the Lee Precision Custom Flaring Tool for the Lee Loaders
    http://leeprecision.com/custom-flari...ee-loader.html

Boolit Grand Master
    eljefeoz,
    I have a grand 'ol time with the Lee Loader. Have loaded some extremely accurate stuff with it. It's good to get back to the basics and use such a simple and ingenious tool. Hope you have fun and good success with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi 725
    thats great advice and I dood my first ever 145 gr RCBS
    follow instructions, and everthing is good as gold
    now all i have to do is get good results out of them.
    Cheers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Why not get the Lee Precision Custom Flaring Tool for the Lee Loaders
    http://leeprecision.com/custom-flari...ee-loader.html
    Yup, I have a flaring tool my gunsmith made me.Sits in a universal 7/8 x 14 die. Interchanges for my 404 too and works flawlessly
    Thanks for the suggestion

Boolit Buddy
    My 54R Lee loader in fact i have two they size the necks .310. So you can only load .312 jacketed and cast bullets. It is a great tool for cast bullets but not very good for most jacketed bullets. I understand that 54R can be loaded with many different diameter bullets. I think it would great if Lee made .306 and .308 sizers as well as the .310 sizer for the 54R Lee Loader. I would buy the two extra two sizers.

I use the 1/4 punch in a cheap Harbor Fright punch set to flair 30-32 cal cases. It puts a nice tapered flair on my cases instead a belled flair. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-93424.html

Boolit Buddy
    Got a LEE ? MEQUON in .222 and another for the .45 ACP. Let's see how they do with the 'coated' CB
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    as with most of you I started with a Lee Loader in 30 carbine, moved quickly to faster technique's but caught the bug ro the target laoder last year, currently have one for my 308 savage 99 and a 222 remington 340 savage

Looking for a target loader in 22-250, 22 hornet and 45-70

Boolit Buddy
    Heavy metal- is your 222 LL a Mequon with flare tool, FLS and RED primer seating device?

Boolit Buddy
    eljefeoz,

Just an FYI, you mention FLS which I assume is "full length size". The ONLY lee or Mequon kit that full length sizes is the "Unitized" kit. The unitized kit and the "Improved" kit look identical but only the unitized kit full length sizes.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dave,
    I just rechecked my hoard -its a unitized.
    I've just done a couple of dummy runs with a 7x57 and 145 RCBS SIL.
    Cheers

Boolit Bub
    i'm like ranch dog and several others; have a lee loader for every centerfire caliber i shoot--except my 22 savage hi-power, my 9x57, and my 8x56ms, which i can load with the 8x57 set. my only problem now is my 38-55; it takes a boolit enough bigger than the lee will accept that i wind up swaging my boolits down too skinny for my bore, just by driving them through the channel of the boolit seater. gotta use my rcbs set for the .380 and .381. oh, well! still love the lee. i even found one fer my 8x50r lebel carbine!
    mind yer topknots!
    windy

Boolit Buddy
    Hey windy, I've run into that issue myself with cast lead not fitting through the throat of the die. Eventually figured out the not so obvious... Just pick the die body up off the case, sit the boolit down in the case mouth then sit the die down over the whole stack and seat normally. This puts the boolit on the case mouth without it having to pass through the die throat. Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 56 View Post
    My 54R Lee loader in fact i have two they size the necks .310. So you can only load .312 jacketed and cast bullets. It is a great tool for cast bullets but not very good for most jacketed bullets. I understand that 54R can be loaded with many different diameter bullets. I think it would great if Lee made .306 and .308 sizers as well as the .310 sizer for the 54R Lee Loader. I would buy the two extra two sizers.[/url]
    Buckshot will make you a Lee type sizer in any size you want. He does great work, and I recommend him highly. I had checked Lee for custom sizers; but they are so slammed, they are not taking any new orders. I lucked out and found Buckshot on this forum, and he made the sizer I needed, for a very fair price, and had it to me in a week. Craftsmanship is amazing.

Boolit Buddy
    With all the hammering and brass 'work up ' happening with a Lee Loader, how often do you Lee Loader aficionados anneal your brass?
    I just realised that a.45 ACP LL is FLS, and takes a fair bit of oomph to do so.
    Hence this question.
    TIA
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 11-24-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Never. Has not been an issue with any of their calibers that I use one for. Not even the 30 cal. carbine which is a hard one as far as sizing goes.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast