Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Ruger #1A in .303 Brit made for Canada!

Boolit Buddy

Ruger #1A in .303 Brit made for Canada!

Prophet River Firearms [Alberta ]has finalized discussions with Ruger to build a #1A in .303 British.Delivery date not yet determined.........Harold

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That sounds like a neat idea , do ya think they will sell well enough that Ruger will leave a few in the US ? Of course I'd be happier if it was in 30-40 Krag but hey ya never know huh?

Jack

Boolit Master
    Interesting what Ruger puts out sometimes....I hear a 300H&H is new this year

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    That sounds like a nice rifle and would be very cast friendly. It would handle anything in Australia, thats for sure. I fancied a single shot 303 at one stage and felt that I could build an adaptor to load 32H&R mags or 32/20s for small game. Utilising cast and Jacketed, it would surely do it all.

But then again i have many rifles that would 'do it all.'

I might grab one if they end up in Australia. I think they should sell ok here. A lot of people will swoop on them because they will no doubt be one of the rarer chamberings.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Prophet River Firearms [Alberta ]has finalized discussions with Ruger to build a #1A in .303 British.Delivery date not yet determined.........Harold
    Harold,
    The .303 project started out as a Lipsey exclusive but Ruger decided to make the .303 Brit in their #1A a cataloged item, ie. available to Ruger dealers world wide..
    At least that's the way I read Clay's post below..

SakoAlberta
    Contributing Dealer

Ruger #1 303 British will be made!
    We just received word today that Ruger will make the 1-A in 303 British. They are comitted to it. That's very good news and should be well received here in Canada!!

Now there is a bit of bad news
    They haven't given us a timeline yet. Also, if you wanted a different configuration, I guess we are out of luck.
    Lastly, these are not an exclusive, they will be 'on the line' which means regular pricing but no special serials, etc.

We' are currently very busy with a large shipment and aren't really up for 200+ phone calls right now about the 303's.
    To make things as fair as possible and to give everbody time to find out about this, I'll stat taking $400 deposits on Wednesday March 17. First deposits in, will get the first rifles. Please let me know if this is fair? As its a line item, they will be $1199 ($1279.95 with taxes in and shipped anywhere in Canada)

Thanks to all who have called in and made this 'push' possible. Please let as many know as possible as I'm swamped right now and am lacking time to make a bunch of calls

Boolit Buddy
    Great more guns are always better than some.Maybe someone could pester them into making it in 7.62x54R while they're at it?[.311 barrels] Didn't Ruger make the #3 in 30-40 Krag? Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Didn't Ruger make the #3 in 30-40 Krag? Harold
    They did. I have 2 of them. One of my Projects is to put a No. 1 buttstock and a 26-28" medium-heavy barrel on one of them. When I get a Round Tuit.

Of course, if Ruger would like to save me the trouble, I would not object

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

On Heaven's Range

After reading this thread to date, I went to my local push....uh, gunstore, and placed a firm order for a #1 in .303 British. The man called Davidson's about it while I waited, so they are at least aware that there's SOME interest in this combination.

The cartridge and I go a long way back together, and I hold it in very high regard. Now, if Ruger only comes through with the actual rifle, I will be in high clover indeed.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

I could swear, as I often do, that I saw a posting on this site last fall about this same thing?Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I could swear, as I often do, that I saw a posting on this site last fall about this same thing?Robert
    The ball got rolling at CanadianGunNutz on this thread...
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=412828
    Ruger gives ok thread..
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=446310

There was also a threads in the Single Shot forums at 24Hr.CampFire and NitroExpress....

Boolit Master
    I'd be intrested in a Ruger #1A in 303 Brit !

Hopefully they'll be available both sides of the border
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I'd buy one if they make them available in the US. Like I need another rifle....
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    That's not such a bad price. I paid $600 for my #1 in 45/70 years ago. But for a single shot rifle in 303 British or 30-40 krag would be the icing on the cake. Frank

Boolit Master
    FWIW I talked with my Lipsey's salesperson today !

I first asked about a what looks to be special run of the 1B in 264 WIN MAG .

Then I asked about the 1A in 303 British !

And my slaesperson told me that from what they were told this would be a regular catalog item for atleast a year or so !

So while I do not know this to be true or not that is what I was told !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I ordered one from Clay last week.

It is going to be a line item and he has some good interest already. Clay indicated that he had no idea of availability but suspected an early run to cover presold orders and then a wait for future runs as dealer interest develops. The slow economy may help because of the reasonable presold numbers.

He also noted that last week Ruger had assigned a stock number for the gun so it was official that it would get built. He said it was on Ruger's site. I looked and did not find it but realized he is looking on the dealer system.

Now I find I'm creeping up quickly on 60 and dreaming about a rifle like a teenager!

From what I have heard, Clay from Prophet River had solid money on 60, and intended to order an additional 25. A distributor in Australia was ordering apx. 70, and I'm sure that there are a quite a few orders being generated throughout the U.S.

Boolit Master
    According to a post on another board by a former Ruger Employee Ruger had made a couple of custom order .303 chambered single shots many years ago. Those used the standard .308 barrels because the customer that ordered these wanted to try loads with available .308 match grade bullets.
    The company ran pressure tests to determine the increase in chamber pressure when a regular .303 cartridge with bullets of .311 diameter were fired. IIRC the increase was somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,500 PSI about 7-8%.

I would expect these newer Ruger .303 rifles to have .311 bores.

Boolit Man

That would be a seriously nice upgrade from my Martini-Enfield. I'll have to visit with my dealer/pusher when I go to the range tomorrow.

[QUOTE=I would expect these newer Ruger .303 rifles to have .311 bores.[/QUOTE]

.311 is what Clay stated after discussions with Ruger.