Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Where to buy black (michigan)

Banned

Where to buy black (michigan)

After checking several local gunshops, and several larger chain gun stores, I have not been able to find real black powder for my neighbors 36,44 BP revolvers. He insists on shooting black, so where in the ell in central Michigan would one find such a critter. I am within reasonable driving distance of Grand Rapids, Lansing. I live just north of st Johns. I keep getting the same reply

"WE DO NOT HAVE THE LISCENSE FOR IT"

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HONCHO EMERITUS

Talking We're not that far apart, so........

I'll do some checking around the Flint area and let you know. Either Williams Gunsite in Davison or Guns Galore in Fenton should carry Black Powder. My Father shoots "The Holy BlacK" as he calls it, in his CAS caliber guns; so I'm sure we'll be able to find some around here.

Did you try Jay's Sporting Goods in Clare?

I'll shoot you a PM when I find out more info.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Banned
    I did try Jays' , they have the substitutes, but no real...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum
    After checking several local gunshops, and several larger chain gun stores, I have not been able to find real black powder for my neighbors 36,44 BP revolvers. He insists on shooting black, so where in the ell in central Michigan would one find such a critter. I am within reasonable driving distance of Grand Rapids, Lansing. I live just north of st Johns. I keep getting the same reply

"WE DO NOT HAVE THE LISCENSE FOR IT"

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Try here;

Total Firearms, 1380 N. Cedar St., Mason MI 517 699 0597. I bought some there a couple years ago.

Bob's Gun & Tackle in Hastings (SE of Grand Rapids on M37, due west of Lansing) carries GEOX. They happen to stock a decent selection of Lee molds, too.

I don't get down to that part of the state very often, but they are usually worth a stop when I do.

-ktw

Banned
    Thanks guys

I will more than likely get it at Bobs, cause that is almost, kind sorta, not really, on my way home, but close enough.

One store in the GR area actually accused me of building my own fireworks, or something to that effect, they said "there is no longer a need for black powder, and no one uses it, it has been replaced by replacements" I think I may not shop there much anymore. All Dun Ham shopping

Michael

One store in the GR area actually accused me of building my own fireworks, or something to that effect...
    It would be interesting to put together a list of the excuses gun shops come up with for not carrying real black powder. I've been told everything from "our building is too close to a public road and we are not allowed to store it here" to "UPS will no longer deliver it".

If you can handle the volume, or find someone to split it with, the absolute best way to buy it is in 25lb case lots from someone like Powder, Inc or Track of the Wolf. Can't beat the price even with the Hazmat charge and the UPS man will deliver it to your door.

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 06-27-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Ol Mike Yeck told me some years ago that BP was going to get hard to come by.Reason being you need a seprate storage faculity for it.ie a magizine.Built to feds specs.So a guy comes in,asks for a can.You got to go out back to the mag and get it.Most shops will not mess with it.
    I have been buying case lots only for last 20 years or so.I remember the first price increase was to 135.00 from 90.00 bucks.Damm did I howel! Anyway bought 25lb FFF Goex in May @ 240.00.Comes packed in heavy baggie inside a heavy cardbord box. I have everyone save their cans and I refill them.I do this for my shooting team mates.We had been doing bulk musket cap orders also.50,000 was the most you could get in one case with one hasmat charge.Been getting the RWS German ones.I now hear they have stoped making them now.
    BTW,what does a lb can of BP go for now?
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by shooter575
    BTW,what does a lb can of BP go for now?
    $10-$12 a pound for 1lb cans of GEOX in a multiple can lots via a mail-order purchase.

http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...bID=30&catID=2

$15-$20 per can (GOEX) when you can find it on a retail dealer shelf.

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 06-28-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Banned
    Thanks guys

I will just order some, I could use a little myself in one of my blackpowder guns that to be honest have never seen real black powder. The only real black I have ever shot was some cool sounding 12 gauge loads in an old single shot my grandpa had.

Can i substitute my grades of replacements directly to black, charge wise? I shoot pyrodox r/s and triple 7 now. I have one inline and one fancy old T/C hawken.

Michael

Can i substitute my grades of replacements directly to black, charge wise? I shoot pyrodox r/s and triple 7 now. I have one inline and one fancy old T/C hawken.
    By volume you can. By weight you can not.

-ktw

Boolit Bub
    Did you try Classic Arms on Lake Lansing Rd. West of 127? Cabela's and Bass Pro carry it if you're ever in that area but that's a hike.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    $10-$12 a pound for 1lb cans of GEOX in a multiple can lots via a mail-order purchase.

http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/catego...bID=30&catID=2

$15-$20 per can (GOEX) when you can find it on a retail dealer shelf.

-ktw
    What about the fees for shipping? Isn't there a huge haz-mat or something charged attached to ordering powder?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by mparks
    What about the fees for shipping? Isn't there a huge haz-mat or something charged attached to ordering powder?
    Not really. Not in quantity. It's a $25 flat fee for the HazMat charge from most dealers. That only adds $1/can in 25lb lots. Maximum allowed amount in any single shipment is 50lbs.
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Buddy

Another mail-order soarce Main Powder House

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Graf's brand blackpowder. It's cheap and works good. Here's a link: http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

Some places quote a price /lb then add on the Hazmat and shipping. As Old Ironsights pointed out, Hazmat is a flat rate and on a 25lb order it is still quite a bit cheaper than buying retail.

Other places (e.g. Track of the Wolf) quote a bit higher price but already have the Hazmat fee folded into it.

Pays to read the fine print.

-ktw

Boolit Bub
    I guess I'm lucky because both Guns Galore in Fenton and Bass Pro in Auburn Hills are on my normal commute and they both carry black as far as I know. I sure don't plan on buying 25 pounds anytime soon to realize the savings.

I guess I'm lucky because both Guns Galore in Fenton and Bass Pro in Auburn Hills are on my normal commute and they both carry black as far as I know. I sure don't plan on buying 25 pounds anytime soon to realize the savings.
    You are a lucky guy. There isn't anything on my normal commute but empty roads and the Ottawa National Forest. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.

-ktw

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    You are a lucky guy. There isn't anything on my normal commute but empty roads and the Ottawa National Forest. It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.

-ktw
    Heck I would almost be willing to shoot Pyrodex to trade for a commute like that!