RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: .416 strauss from .303

Boolit Buddy

.416 strauss from .303

I found this on the firearm blog and thought some of you may be interested. I hope it is OK to put it on here. It did include pictures but apparently they would not copy and paste.

.416 Strauss : a .303 wildcat
    Piet, a South African, emailed me information about a wildcat he shoots. The .416 Strauss aka. the 416-03 Strauss in named after the inventor, a friend of Piet.

.303 British (left), .416 Strauss (middle, loaded with a 350 gr Speer bullet in a Norma case)

The parent cartridge is the .303 British. It is blown out to .416 caliber and loaded with a 300 grain Barns-X or 350 grain Speer bullet and S265 Pistol powder (a local South African powder). The 350 grain bullet is propelled at 2300 fps and generates 4112 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. The lighter bullet is pushed out at 2500 fps and generates 4164 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

The performance seems similar to the .375 H&H Magnum. According to Cartridges of the World (11th Edition), the .375 H&H can push a 300 grain bullet at 2530 fps, generating 4265 ft/lbs. The small caliber .375 bullet would have greater penetration than a .416 bullet. The cartridge works about to be about 20% less powerful than a .416 Rigby

Piet uses the cartridge in a with with a P14 (Pattern 1914 Enfield) action. The groups are not all that great as he does not have a custom die set and has to use a .405 Winchester die for seating the bullet.

The .416 Strauss P14 (click to expand)

I think this is a very compelling cartridge. I am surprised I had not heard of .303’s necked up and turned into big game cartridges before. It seems like a good idea as I am sure Africa is has more than its share of .303 surplus rifles.

A big thank you to Piet for emailing me the photos and information.

Related Posts
    An upside down Enfield
    AIA M-10 Coming to EU and US
    USMC adopt new 5.56mm MK318 MOD 0 ammunition
    Build your own Enfield SA80 (soon)
    Anything that produces some sort of an explosion, can't be all bad.

44minimum

In Remembrance

44minimum, Dang! I wish the pics would have loaded. I might be interested in something like that.Robert

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Bub
    JD Jones at SSK has done some similar to this one. I think either his 8mm or 338 JDJ is based on the 303, while most of his other biggies (for the Contender) are based on the 444 Marlin. He has a 411 JDJ and 416 JDJ which would be very similar to your friend's cartridge but probably loaded to a lower pressure in deference to the Contender's frame. Looks like it was Taylor-made for the Enfield, should work well in Africa.

captainkirk

Sure looks like a killer!!
    Having a 45-70 and 38-55 I am appreciative of straight wall rifle cartridges.
    In a P14 this could be loaded to the gills if needed.
    I dont understand the SA fellow going to the expense and work of building this gun and not getting at least a set of Lee custom dies for it.
    You know them rear sight "ears" look right at home on an African dangerous game rifle. Anybody know who makes a stock like that? I have a "P17"project that I was gonna whittle the stock down on but I am becomming partial to plastic stocks on serious hunting rifles.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine