RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: who can tell me how to swage?

Banned

who can tell me how to swage?

im brand new into swaging as in, ive read some stuff about it, i want to get a .22 hornet and make my own bullets for them by swaging .22 shorts but i also like the fact that i can make 30 cal for all my .308s and 30 06s and things like that can please explain to me how to start and how EVERYthing works?
    thanks
    Link23

Boolit Master
    Here are two threads that will help you. Check out others in the swaging forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76753

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=76764
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub

Swaging

Link23:

Hickory's threads have as good a pictorial sequence of swaging as you will get.

The thing about a 22 Hornet is getting one that wants to shoot. I've had 4 or 5 and suffered untold frustration. New powders and quality bullets have changed the Hornet picture in the last few years. I'm now shooting a CZ 527 that wants to shoot and it is a joy.

22 Short hulls will make a 35, or so, grain bullet. A .600 J4 will make a 40 grain pill as good as you can buy. My only 30 caliber experience was 30 years ago, and not worth remembering.

Corbins.com has a wealth of info (list of bullet makers all over the country for one thing) and Richard Corbin (reco.com) has some of his stuff that you can download.

Do some research and try to find someone local, or at least semi-local, who swages and try to get with them for some first hand experience and guidence.

The game is somewhat expensive, but manageable unless you go the carbide route. If you, or your buddy, happens to be a good machinist, you can make most of the stuff you need.

Swage On!

Jim
    Last edited by jdjframes; 03-03-2010 at 11:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Link23 View Post
    im brand new into swaging as in, ive read some stuff about it, i want to get a .22 hornet and make my own bullets for them by swaging .22 shorts but i also like the fact that i can make 30 cal for all my .308s and 30 06s and things like that can please explain to me how to start and how EVERYthing works?
    thanks
    Link23
    To tell you how EVERYTHING works right on this thread I would be typing for a year .
    I think you should start by familiarising youself with swaging gear and products and terminology. You can get a lot of this basic knowledge right of Corbins website

http://www.corbins.com/corbin.htm
    There is some good books you can buy from Corbins that explain all the basic steps.
    Corbin Handbook of Bullet Swaging No. 9 comes to mind.
    Once you get some basic info about the process and learn some of the jargin then you can come back and ask shorter more specific quetions that will get a more precise answer.
    There is many kinds of swaging and numerous types of die and press systems to choose from.
    You first need a good idea of what kind of bullets you wish to make.

Boolit Master
    I am just starting out too. Reading old posts one after another and its starting to come together. theres more than one way to skin a cat , so to speak. keep that in mind as you read...Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Start reading....

http://www.corbins.com/

Dutch

Banned
    You have to have an area of interest in mind to study. Like Pistol bullets or rifle bullets and then a sub catagory.
    Say- Rifle bullets with commercial jackets.
    Or Rifle bullets made from 22 rimfire cases.
    Or swaged lead ( alloy) Rifle bullets .
    Once you identify an area of interest then you can zoom in on specific info on that subject.
    Otherwise you will be all over the shop , learning stuff that is of no use.

Boolit Mold
    Is it just me or does anyone else find the Corbin website hard to navigate? I've been on there dozens of times over the years but it seems like it takes me an hour to find answers to the simplest of questions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_F View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else find the Corbin website hard to navigate?

Aint that the truth,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_F View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else find the Corbin website hard to navigate? I've been on there dozens of times over the years but it seems like it takes me an hour to find answers to the simplest of questions.
    It ain't just you!
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Banned
    They always hide the helpfull info so you have to seach all over the site to find it. That way you see all the advertising and products on the way through.
    Just like in shops when they put the best selling products way at the back of the shop.
    Remember Dave is always right even when he's wrong he's still right you ask Richard he'll tell you.
    All in all it's a pretty good site .