Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Pedersoli Shotgun - What Shot Types?

Pedersoli Shotgun - What Shot Types?

Hello All:

I just received my new-to-me Pedersoli 12 ga. side by side shotgun, which came without any documentation. Is it OK to use any lead based shot? ( i.e hardened or copper plated ). I think I've read somewhere that it's fine, but I'd like some confirmation. I want to get started working up some loads as soon as the snow finally clears off. I hope a turkey or two survived the winter!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Master

I load lead shot for general use and bismuth for waterfoul in my 10ga. I have had issues with the ( cheap?) softer shot. shooting skeet or sporting clays, I have had severe leading in both 10s , one with choke tubes and one without and the 20 ga. For a 12 start with 7/8 oz of shot and an equal dipper (volume ) of ffg. Be sure to wipe the oil out then pop 2 to 3 caps per barrel before loading. A card wad over powder, a lubed fiber wad, depending on the gun possibaly 1/2 fiber wad, shot and a over shot wad.

For turkey hunting try 1 1/4 oz #6 hard shot over a 1 oz sized to 11/8 dipper of ffg. should give a 35 yd pattern to suit any one. You did not say if you had screw in chokes.

Alan

Boolit Master

Be sure to hold wad pressure on the wads to keep out air space in your loads. The ammount of pressure dosent seam important, just tryto be consistant.

Alan

Thanks for the info and tips. I'm in the proces of gathering and ordering compnents now. I'll surely give your recommendations a try. Can't wait!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Boolit Grand Master

I use hard #6's for upland game. I use a shot snake with a 1 1/8oz measure to meter out the shot.

My Pedersoli 12 has turned my other shotguns into safe queens. I find it so much more fun and satisfying shooting a BP shotgun. I think that you will enjoy it alot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!