Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone reloading S&B brass? Any observations?

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    My experience is that S&B brass in general always has tighter primer pockets than most other brands. Otherwise it's excellent brass, and tight pockets means they won't wear out as fast.

Wolf primers to me also seem slightly oversize compared to Winchester and CCI which I also use. I've loaded thousands of Wolf primers, they feel tighter to me.

Combine a Wolf primer and S&B brass, and you are tight, baby.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Buddy

There seems to be a general consensus that Wolf primers are a little harder to seat. I have S and B brass that is on their 6-7 loading and are still doing well.

I've loaded S&B brass in .38 Special, 9x19 and .45 acp. It's great brass and the snug primer pocket is a plus. The pockets are the same depth as U.S. commercial brass, but a little tighter, therefore they last longer.

Different priming systems will give different results when seating primers, and this is where the problems lie in seating primers in snug pockets. And, as noted, CCI primers are harder. I prefer Federal, MagTech and Winchester for most of my loadings.

Hope this helps.

Fred

No issues with S&B 9mm and .45acp. Loaded with Square Deal and 650...

I get some S&B .357 cases in my used brass batches. I can always tell an S&B because the primer has a different "feel" when seating. Yeah, they're a bit tight.

I use CCI 500 small pistol primers & have had no problem seating them. Just a different feel is all.

Boolit Master

shallow primer pockets

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have some .45 ACP S&B range pickup and I can ALWAYS tell when the S&B case comes up at
    primer seating in the Dillion 550. I think they are SHALLOW, not tighter. My problem is that
    I have to push like heck to get them safely below the surface.

I may start sorting it out and selling or scrapping it.

Bill
    This is my trouble exactly.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, looks like I'll try to find some different primers to try, either Win or Rem.

Thanks for the data!

- Tristan

Boolit Master
    you did not say what caliber....

some sb is brass plated STEEL!

means it aint gonna move in your swagers much...

so between wolf primers and maybe small/ maybe short pockets and mabye steel cases....

me thinks i would pass on relaoding 9mm sb

but thats just me

mike
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I kind of prefer it actually...

The auto-loader calibers have more of a bevel on the back side of the rim than most, and as a result, seem to feed more reliably in guns with extractor issues. And the flash hole seems to be in the middle more consistently than a lot of other brands.

I can't say I've had any primer issues, as I pretty much use Federal for everything.

Yep, .38 Special. Virtually every time I feel a tight primer pocket, it's an S&B case. I had to be really careful or else I'd bend the primer cup.

Everything else (Federal, CCI, S&W, W-W, etc.) is just fine.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I read this post with interest, even though I've never reloaded S&B....just have no experience with it. BUT....

Something that amazed me was some .303 British from Canada (Dominion). This was military surplus but boxer primed and I picked it up cheap as berdan. Lucky me! Since the primers were crimped, I ran them all through my RCBS swager before priming and STILL managed to deform about 80% percent of the CCI primers. What was so amazing? They still went bang perfectly. I think I'll ream that batch also and see if they'll behave a little more normally next time.

Cowboy T........you live in S.F. and reload?? I left the bay area because of their narrow minded outlook on shooters. Glad to hear there's a few holdouts there still!

Boolit Master

I bevel the pockets with my deburring tool to the point it looks like a remington pocket , helped alot !!

I`ve loaded a batch of 357 mag for testin many times & it`s still the same length & gives consistent chrono readings.
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    Just finished working my way through several hundred pieces of 9x19 range brass with a substantial number of S&B and WCC. My experience from the past was that the S&B had tight primer pockets, so I treated them just like the WCC with the crimp. The S&B pockets were all over the place, many needing a little 'cleaning up'.

i actually like it in rifles , as for pistols i agree the pockets seemed a lil tite but loaded fine ( perhaps i was the lucky one ? ) 38 special,9mm and 32 & 45 acp seems to be all i have happened across so far,the rifle brass i used to buy alot of because they often made calibers no one else did at least at a decent price, some of that rifle stuff i have 9 loadings on

Boolit Buddy
    For years all my .357 was assembled on S&B brass. The pockets were tight. They probably got reloaded 15 or so times, the loose pockets got put in the scrap. Some are still in rotation.

Boolit Master

Machinisttx + 1 more. I have been picking out the S&B brass (generally .38 Special) and salvaging it.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Sort of off topic, but what is the WCC headstamp? I have had problems seating a primer in those in the past as well.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Buddy
    I have to separate S&B 9mm brass from everything else because it is so much shorter and has to be loaded separately,kind of a pain but the brass is free.

exile,

The WCC brass is Western Cartridge Company, which is just another headstamp used by Winchester for their military brass and ammunition. They own the rights to the name.

The reason you had problems seating primers in this brass is because the military primers are crimped into place, and you have to remove the crimp before seating a new primer. I actually like military brass in 9x19, since it's constructed heavier and you can work up slightly warmer loads in it.

Those using S&B 9x19 brass (and I'm one of them) just be aware that some S&B brass is steel cased and copper washed. It's done so well you can't tell the differance just by looking at it, but if you pass a magnet over it, it will be attracted to the magnet. Most I've seen have had red primer sealant.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Stupid question I am sure, but how do you remove the crimp? I know with .223 brass they make a tool for it, just not sure what you do with 9mm? (Sorry for the thread hijack)

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast