MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2ADvertise hereGraf & Sons
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High Velocity PPCB Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Ok so patching to finished diameter with no sizing is a bad thing?

So if I’m working with a .451 bore and .458 groove 45/70 I need to be about .453 patched to .462 and sized down to .460?
    I’ve been using BACO 9# onion skin which gets me from .453 to .4595 or so. Not big enough to size down to compress the patch.
    Should I just switch to my Bienfang 100% cotton vellum which gets up to about .462 with a finished wrap? The size down?

Seems it would be tough to get the onion skin to cover most needs due to how thin it is. At least with the traditional Mathews way of thinking with .001-.002" over bore size wrapped to .001-.002" over groove size.

I know that we're talking high velocity vs a 45/70 here but does the sized patch still apply?

I'm planning on playing with paper patch in a .308 pretty soon so this thread is going to be watched closely.
    While some people have good luck with sizing the patched bullet, it has never worked for me. For example of my method, for .30-40 I size the core to .303-.304 depending on the rifle. The core is wet patched with .002 thick tracing paper to .311-.312 and loaded. The results are 2 inch groups at 100 yards with bullets driven to jacketed velocities; 215 bullet at 2200 fps in the case of the .30-40.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    While some people have good luck with sizing the patched bullet, it has never worked for me. For example of my method, for .30-40 I size the core to .303-.304 depending on the rifle. The core is wet patched with .002 thick tracing paper to .311-.312 and loaded. The results are 2 inch groups at 100 yards with bullets driven to jacketed velocities; 215 bullet at 2200 fps in the case of the .30-40.

Ok cool. I think when i tested my papers I had best results with the BACO which wrapped to about .4595” so no sizing was performed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123