Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Lee 6 cavity dropping a little large

Lee 6 cavity dropping a little large

I ordered a 6 cavity mould for my .44 from Midway. It's for my .44 a drops a RN bullet at 256 grains. Should be 250 but I can live with that, using wheel weights.

The cavities of the die are not all the same size. Guess that's why they make sizing machines. Bullets are dropping from .432 to .435 in. I started using the LEE sizer with LLA and the bullets were being sized to .432. Nice groups of about 1 1/2 inch at 25 yards from a rest.

I ordered a new sizing die for my Star and before measuring the cylinder throats I guessed at .430. Well these do not group near as well with the LS 2500 lube as the LEE sized bullets did.

I measured the cylinder thoats today with my pin dies and they measure .432 so I ordered a new die at .433 I think that will solve my problems.

My load is 4 grains of Unique which makes Major caliber for USPSA shooting. It's the lightest load in thge book using .44 Russian brass. I may switch to Trail Boss to keep the recoil down a bit.

I'll post comparison pics once I get the new die.
    Go ahead and run. You will only die tired

If you just bought it it should be covered under their 2 year warranty.

Call'em and let'em know your problem.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rather have it a bit large than small. WHat is your casting technique like?? Is it consistent??
    It may help keep thing more even. Have you slugged the individual cavities??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I'm very consistent with my casting technique. I use a WAAGE 20 lb pot and cast at 800 degrees using a thermomiter. Pot is very consistent throughout my casting session. I laddle pour from the far cavity and drag the laddle down the mould until all are filled. I let it cool for a few seconds until the top cools and then separate and quench in cold water.

I do it the same with all my molds and this is the first time I've had this variation, but I can live with it. I'd rather have large bullets then small ones, as you said and since I measured the troats of my chanbers I need a .433 bullet.

Testing so far, .432 from the Lee sizing die grouped well. My .431 sizing die opened up the groups.

I have not slugged the individual cavities of the mould yet. Next casting session I will have to do that.

Thanks for your opinions and help.

Boolit Grand Master

My bet is that your mold is ever so slightly open sometimes. Guess how I know
    that. . . . .

Lube the alignment pins with Bull Plate lube and give the blocks a light tap with your
    knocker/mallet after closing (rap in the closing direction). I just bet your diameter
    variation goes away. Mine did.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

The last couple of Lee 6 cavity I got had burrs on the alignment pin bushings. Had to deburr the leading edge so the pin would go in consistently.

Lee also use 1 part tin to 10 parts lead alloy as their standard per Pat at Lee.

Boolit Master
    Look at your blocks carefully. The locating pins mate with bushings inserted in the blocks. My end bushing was not flush with the block surface and the end of the blocks could not close properly. A few careful taps and some minor filing allowed the blocks to close properly.

Best regards,

CJR

taping the blocks together seems to have solved my problems. Thanks for all the suggestionsn. I really like these molds.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    My bet is that your mold is ever so slightly open sometimes. Guess how I know
    that. . . . .

Lube the alignment pins with Bull Plate lube and give the blocks a light tap with your
    knocker/mallet after closing (rap in the closing direction). I just bet your diameter
    variation goes away. Mine did.

Bill
    Yep, happened to me as well with the TL429-240-LSWC. Squeezing the handles together a little extra before pouring did the trick. They're now right at 0.4295" to 0.4305", in other words, right on the button.

Dang it, but Lee does make some good moulds. Those 6-cavity models are hard to beat.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Boolit Master
    "Dang it, but Lee does make some good moulds. Those 6-cavity models are hard to beat. "

Don't tell that to those who can't use them correctly and get bad results. It would wound their opinionated hearts to hear that said about those "junk" molds!

I have no complaints about Lee molds. They work very well. It's operator error. I can eliminate the large boolets by taping the molds together between casts and holding the handles real tight.

I'm going to order a new LBT mold. I did for my .38 and it really helped tighten up my group patterns.

I could stay with the Lee and be happy with my 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups but I'm trying for those 1 inch groups I keep hearing people tell me about. I don't see people shooting them but they sure say they can do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are having totap the mold to close it completely; check the aluminum around the steel alignmet pins. The pressure of installing the pins can swage the mold blocks out of shape.

My group buy 314-120 was like that, it took a long time to figure out what the problem was. I found it by smoking the entire face of the mold blocks and opening and closing them repeatedly. Mine was dropping boolits that measured .314"x .322", but occasionally it would drop round bones at .314".

I put a countersink around the inserts, now it works fine.

Robert

I like the 6-cavity molds fine but my last one had to be returned because it cast at .361 to .362 and was supposed to fit my 9MM. I have not cast with the new one yet.

I've had great luck with LEE molds.. the only 1 that I'm really mad at needs to go back and get recut!

Quote Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
    I like the 6-cavity molds fine but my last one had to be returned because it cast at .361 to .362 and was supposed to fit my 9MM. I have not cast with the new one yet.
    Oh, that'd be perfect for Makarov pistols. I wish I knew about that earlier, dang it....
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.