WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: what sizer...

what sizer...

here's the story:
    My 9mm Steyr slugged at .357 (go figure, my 357 slugged at .356)
    The lapped and beagled mold now drops .360x.357 (out of round, I know but it's because there's a slight misalignment of the halves.)
    Sooo, I need a sizing die for this beast.
    Since I'm using TL bullets I never ever resized yet now I'm out of choices.
    I'm partial to Lee but they only offer .358 while I'd rather re-size to .3585 or .359
    Any (not overly expensive) suggestions?

Boolit Master
    You can get yourself the lee die and simply hone it out. Most will take a split rod (a rod with a split in it) or something similar and wrap about an inch wide strip of 320 grit wet/dry sand paper around the rod until it is a tight fit in the die. Then a person can use a hand drill and turn the rod. It doesn't take much and you can hone out the die to whatever you want it at.

Welcome to the forum!!! Good to have you here.

sounds like a plan

Boolit Grand Master

Lee dies often don't come out right on the money. You could get lucky and get one a hair big. But like stated you can enlarge it.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    This might be a bit late, but the Lee 358-125-RF mold I bought drops at .362 and I size it to 358. Works fantastic in my CZ 75, and that's after trying several different bullet profiles and weights.

The mold is intended for 38 Special and has a roll crimp groove.

Boolit Grand Master

Start at least .358 but be ready to go to .359, assuming it will chamber a round with
    that size boolit. Good luck with TL. Some have good results, many have nothing but
    grief.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I toiled 3 hours trying to enlarge the die. Coarse lapping compound was the only one to show any progress. Now the 358die is .3585

I'm getting good accuracy with TL bullets (better than jackets in the .357 barrel) but are leading.
    I tried 4.2, 4.5 and 5gr Unique. 14BHN hardness.
    4.2 is under the obturation pressure but leaded the least.
    5gr leaded badly after only 10 rounds.
    I'll try to increase the hardness next.

Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    This might be a bit late, but the Lee 358-125-RF mold I bought drops at .362 and I size it to 358. Works fantastic in my CZ 75, and that's after trying several different bullet profiles and weights.

The mold is intended for 38 Special and has a roll crimp groove.
    AFAIK 9mm is headspacing on the case mouth, so if you roll crimp, how does the cartridge headspace?

Quote Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
    AFAIK 9mm is headspacing on the case mouth, so if you roll crimp, how does the cartridge headspace?
    I think he's saying the bullet has a groove you can roll crimp into not that he is roll crimping 9mm loads - if you use the taper crimp you could align the groove with the end of the case if you so desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I think he's saying the bullet has a groove you can roll crimp into not that he is roll crimping 9mm loads - if you use the taper crimp you could align the groove with the end of the case if you so desired.
    I apologize for the misunderstanding.
    Went to the local store today and that mold is not in stock

Moderator Emeritus
    Buckshot will make you fine quality size dies to your exact requirements at a freindly price.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    Buckshot will make you fine quality size dies to your exact requirements at a freindly price.
    I only have #4 steel

Boolit Master

Hey legiOn, welcome to the forum.

Why don't you load up some of those .360s in your dummy rounds and see if they will chamber. You might be surprised. I was having leading with a 9mm that slugged at .3550" and another one that slugged .3548" and my boolits were .357", I went to .358" and they are shooting fine with 12BHN. Shooting the same boolits out of my .38.

EW

Quote Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
    Hey legiOn, welcome to the forum.

Why don't you load up some of those .360s in your dummy rounds and see if they will chamber. You might be surprised. I was having leading with a 9mm that slugged at .3550" and another one that slugged .3548" and my boolits were .357", I went to .358" and they are shooting fine with 12BHN. Shooting the same boolits out of my .38.

EW
    yeah, well, that mold's halves are a bit off so I have to size to make them bullets round.
    now, I finally got the sizing die to .3595" but it still leads towards the muzzle end even with reduced loads of 4.4gr Unique.
    Next I'll try even less powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
    I toiled 3 hours trying to enlarge the die. Coarse lapping compound was the only one to show any progress. Now the 358die is .3585

I'm getting good accuracy with TL bullets (better than jackets in the .357 barrel) but are leading.
    I tried 4.2, 4.5 and 5gr Unique. 14BHN hardness.
    4.2 is under the obturation pressure but leaded the least.
    5gr leaded badly after only 10 rounds.
    I'll try to increase the hardness next.
    Actually since the bullet is over the barrels groove diameter then the bullet will not have to obturate or bump up..................in reality it won't have to either unless you have inconsistancies in the barrel such as some revolvers where there are sometimes constrictions. In most semi auto barrels now days the manufatures quality control is good with the barrels and are uniform from the chamber end to the muzzle.

I've never been a fan of the TL bullet design but another thought..............you said your bullet is out of round with it being .357 at the smallest part. After you resize is the bullet still .357 at one point on the bullet's base??? If so this is a very possible cause to your leading issue as the bullet is at that point the same as your barrels groove diamter. Take this notion one step further and pull a bullet after you have seated and crimped to and recheck the bullet's base diameter. You maybe surprised to find out the bullet is undersized.

Something for you to look at anyway.

Boolit Master

Leading near the muzzle indicates that you are running out of lube. Add or change lubes, it may help.

EW

two good ways to progress!
    thanks guys

Boolit Grand Master

Leading at muzzle probably means that the TL strikes again. The large nunber of posters
    with leading from TL designs seems to indicate that this is a pretty marginal lube system.
    Maybe a second dip, or a dip in molten 50/50 lube would help.

I am not a fan of the TL designs. They save on up front costs but often fail. Try the Lee
    356-124 TC conventional lube groove design. This has worked well in many different 9mms
    for me an others with great accy sized at .357 and using air cooled wwts. Be prepared to
    go to .358 or more if necessary. It hasn't been required for me, but some have found
    it to be necessary. The limit is just what diameter boolit will still let the loaded round
    chamber.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Leading at muzzle probably means that the TL strikes again. The large nunber of posters
    with leading from TL designs seems to indicate that this is a pretty marginal lube system.
    Maybe a second dip, or a dip in molten 50/50 lube would help.

Bill
    Yeah, there was little lube on my first 9mm lead bullets. Guess the thinner I once used floated towards the surface leaving the gooey stuff to the bottom.
    I lubed another batch with well shaken tumble lube and now the leading is minimal.
    Next step is to find the most accurate supersonic load.

Boolit Grand Master

Load 'em up and shoot 'em the BARREL will make them round. Nothing ventured....