MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Noob caster's update.

Boolit Bub

Noob caster's update.

Well, my equipment is broken in, I've cast approximately 140 each of 228 gr. RN .45 ACP boolits and 300 gr. boolits for my new S&W 460V. I'm out of lead now, but I have 145 lbs of wheel weights (1 5-gallon bucket) waiting to be smelted, and I'm waiting on sizing dies anyway.

Today I decided to try melting down some weights on my camp stove. I commondeered an old cast-iron skilltet from my wife (she doesn't use it anymore anyway, so I'm safe - I hope! ) and threw a handfull off the top of the bucket in the skillet. After the melting process, I'm half convinced I have zinc in there. I think somewhere between the difference in temp between the skillet and the ambient air (outdoors in Alaska - I don't dare try to cook down wheel weights inside!) I am having trouble getting the lead to melt before the zinc. I got some globs of paste-like stuff that I suspect is zinc.

Although it all mixed together in the end, I have set aside the brick (Don't have molds for ingots yet - this was a small batch for learning.) and I don't think I'll use it for anything but a doorstop.

I think the weather here in AK dictates either cooking down the weights in a more temp-controlled environment, or using the cutting method to determine which weights are zinc. I have my side-cutters pulled out of the toolbox ready for duty when the ingot molds arrive.

I am taking my new 460 S&W in to get the cylinder throats and bore gauged tomorrow so I can order a sizing die for it tomorrow as well.

I am in trouble guys! I thought just the practical application of firearms I could drum up was going to put me in the poor house with my gun collection. Now that I have started casting boolits, I can think of at least 6 more guns I MUST have, just so I can cast boolits for them. Help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I am in trouble guys! I thought just the practical application of firearms I could drum up was going to put me in the poor house with my gun collection. Now that I have started casting boolits, I can think of at least 6 more guns I MUST have, just so I can cast boolits for them. Help!!!!
    Ha ha ha! I actually bought some rifles to paper patch for! There's my Pig Gun, my BSA&M carbine and .....
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Now that I have started casting boolits, I can think of at least 6 more guns I MUST have, just so I can cast boolits for them. Help!!!
    Gee, why does that sound so familiar? lol
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master
    Just be careful about keeping your guns in a nice roomy safe. They will multiply.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Just be careful about keeping your guns in a nice roomy safe. They will multiply.
    Well, now that you mention it, my two gun cabinets are getting a little crowded. Maybe it is time for that nice, roomy safe.

Boolit Bub

A quick update...

I tried smelting again on a warmer day, with much better results. I had more time, so I started with very low flame to ensure the lead would slowly begin to melt first. The process worked perfectly, and I now have smelted almost half the bucket with just one RCBS ingot mold. ( My local thrift store was fresh out of muffin pans.) I have also cast about half of that into boolits, and they look very good. They also weigh within a few tenths of a grain of those I cast first with ingots from another member here.

Now if I could just get those sizing dies, I'd be in business!