RotoMetals2Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel Media
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Revolver shot loads that WORK!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Never made anything other than loaded 11 #5-shot pellets in a speer 35cal blue capsule and loaded them in 357 cases. Used them at the skeet range with a 6" bbl'd 586. Man I sucked!!! Could only break 6 to 8 birds out of 25 on the skeet range. I could run 25's with a 20ga and a 410. Darn 586 played hell with me, I called it 50/50.

50% me and 50% the 1000fps load. Tried pushing the speer capsules harder and they blew out. I shot countless 1000's of 1200fps loads on the skeet and trap fields. Just couln't get the leads right with the 1000fps load of the 357/speer shot capsules.
    I have shot the Speer capsules hard .But did it with the 38spl case and shot in a 357mag, Other wise they would not fit in a 38spl.and shot some birds with them. I use 7 1/2 shot in them.it work about 7 yards.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Von Dingo View Post
    Why this thread is not a sticky eludes me, had to search pretty hard for this one...
    Stuck - excellent thread!
    "Things always get better once thought, time, and money are applied in the correct amounts at the correct time"
    - No_1 -

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master

I have been playing with some loads for my 38 special snubby. I use 357 max brass, trimmed so the end is about .010" inside the cylinder, size in a 357 mag die, run thru a 38 special seater die to set the bit of a should back. I then load with 2.2 gr bullseye, a wad cut from cardboard egg carton, then fill with "ancini de pepe" pasta (maybe 1/16" in dia.) then another card wad on top and make a small crimp using a 7mm br seating die with the bullet nose stem removed.
    I need to anneal like GP100man had posted years ago as I get springback on the case neck when I form it, and they are difficult to chamber.
    However, they work up close. I use the pasta as I sometimes shoot in the gravel in the flower bed next to the house and don't care for any ricochets. Figure the pasta just disintigrates. Wife says snakes out in the field or 75' or so away from the house are fine, but next to the house, it is verboten for them to be here. They have taken to hibernating under the house, so they get no mercy when they emerge. She stepped on one coming out the front door one day and almost levitated getting out of there. I heard the scream a long ways away.
    So far this year, 11 snakes with 12 shots (gave a ball of three an extra shot).

Boolit Bub
    Somehow, I had never seen this thread before. Only revolver shot loads I'd ever made were the old double gas check variety. Now I have another project simmering on one of a dozen back burners. Thanks a lot, GearGnasher.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time and trouble to explain all of this. I'll file it away until this winter when it's too cold to piddle around outside.

Last week I had some trouble with vermin in a attic. I just about had problem solved but still had
    a few I couldn't catch. I decided CCI 22 shot caps would work without doing any damage to
    structure or roof at 6'-8'. I never had much use for them to shoot snakes at any range. I don't
    shoot non poisonous snakes and if I shot a Copperhead it is a must and I'm not playing with it.
    Anyway they worked perfect to my surprise. I had already done the basement with traps and 38
    Speer capsules loaded with #71/2 shot.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have been playing with some loads for my 38 special snubby. I use 357 max brass, trimmed so the end is about .010" inside the cylinder, size in a 357 mag die, run thru a 38 special seater die to set the bit of a should back. I then load with 2.2 gr bullseye, a wad cut from cardboard egg carton, then fill with "ancini de pepe" pasta (maybe 1/16" in dia.) then another card wad on top and make a small crimp using a 7mm br seating die with the bullet nose stem removed.
    I need to anneal like GP100man had posted years ago as I get springback on the case neck when I form it, and they are difficult to chamber.
    However, they work up close. I use the pasta as I sometimes shoot in the gravel in the flower bed next to the house and don't care for any ricochets. Figure the pasta just disintigrates. Wife says snakes out in the field or 75' or so away from the house are fine, but next to the house, it is verboten for them to be here. They have taken to hibernating under the house, so they get no mercy when they emerge. She stepped on one coming out the front door one day and almost levitated getting out of there. I heard the scream a long ways away.
    So far this year, 11 snakes with 12 shots (gave a ball of three an extra shot).
    Dude! Got to make some of these up! Got the pasta, brass and powder!

Vendor Sponsor
    Ok, So I only had some std 357 mag cases. Primed a dozen, loaded up a starting load from above of 2.3 gr on Bullsey. I laser cut out some hardboard discs from a thick mailing envelope I had around. Decided not to use just corrugated as it would take up space or collapse. Placed one disc on top of powder, pushed down tight. Filled up with ancini de pepe (stole the bag for a bit) but DaVinci brand is extruded cylinders.Oh well, for try let's see.
    Pushed another disc on top and I crimped down with a 9mm crimp die. Didn't roll over at all, just pulled it down 10 thousandths for about an eight inch. HMMM. So I dribbles some elmers white glue on top of the disc to seal. Let dry over night. Fired off 4 of them. 22 short or less report. At 3-4ft, went thru 2 layers of newsprint. Tried a couple on an Amazon prime corrugated plastic shipping envelope. Loads went thru one side, but not the opposite. About a 6-8" diameter spread. And would do pretty good. I think I'll run down some spherical pasta, I think I might have some couscous that is round.
    Should work better as this stuff broke up easy.

Oh, the glue worked well. No motion, no movement, no residue. I'll mark base of some of the cases and put one or two in my taurus. 5 shots of good stuff, and two of shot.
    Thanks

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678