Reloading EverythingPBcastcoInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Revolver shot loads that WORK!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Has anyone done 45 ACP from 308/06? I'm thinking about trying that out but the RCBS dies are astronomicaly priced.
    Check over in the special projects forum, there is a thread on there right now.

Love this thread, should be a sticky! Gear pointed me to it a year ago and i have to admit, loads like these are fun to explore, plus you get some satisfaction in cheating the store out of $1.50 a shell >
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    A suggestion, a block with several male pattern forms on it, an oven and vacuum pump chamber.
    Vacuum forming over male molds is a common practice in model airplane building.
    Once you have the basic setup, it is possible to make many and have them uniform in dimensions and form.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

This thread was pointed out to me for ideas in my own experimentation efforts. My interest in a decent shot shell is for my H&R .357 magnum Handi Rifle with the long SAAMI throat. In this rifle, I can chamber cartridges up to 2.25" long, depending on the bullet shape. A shot shell this length would mean a lot more shot than the commercially available shot shell and maybe better patterning, too. There are some good ideas in this thread and food for thought. I can't wait to get started.
    Jack D
    Continuous annual NRA since ~1965

My home page: http://www.metalsmithpro.com

Boolit Mold

T/C Contender with 44 Hot Shot/Mag barrel

This thread was a fun read. "Gear" has really put some work into his solution. When I lived in Alaska I bought a T/C Contender pistol with the .44 Mag/Shot barrel. It has a "choke" that unscrews when you want to shoot .44's and the single shot chamber works with T/C shot cartridges that are quite a bit longer than the Speer models. No leading and the shot comes out grouped nicely with the choke on. Over the years I have accumulated both loaded shot shells in various lead sizes, and some cartridges without the shells. I used this pistol on Ptarmigan (Spruce hens) during the winter and it was very effective even out to 20 - 30 feet. Here's a pic of the pistol and some #9 shot loads. I've never shot a snake with it but, now that I live in New Mexico, I'm sure an opportunity will present itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0337.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	142138
    Last edited by No_1; 04-16-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

The very best shot loads I've ever used involved some 9.3x72mm brass that I believe had the rims thinned to appropriate thickness, and then they were cut off just short of cylinder length. Powder was loaded and a wad of some sort (can't remember what I used right now) and shot placed in the top, and an over shot wad put in and the case crimped to hold it in. Also melted some candle was on the over shot wad to seal it and maybe provide a bit of "lube" for the pellets. Really worked well and didn't take near as much time to load up as to talk about. MUCH heavier shot charge, and #9's really put out a nice pattern.

Boolit Bub
    this thread is still relevant. I have a 44mag and just got a 357 mag that I want to make snake shot for. Just read the whole post and now have ideas to start with. thanks a lot Geargnasher!

I know this is a really old thread...... but. I have loaded .38 Special shot loads for a very long time, using the gas check method. I don't know how many rattlers, moccasins, and copperheads have met their match using them. Most of them with one shot. The cottonmouth shown below was one of three we disposed of many years ago while fishing, in the span of about 10 minutes. It works for me.

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the picture Ole Joe Clarke

Boolit Master
    Shot loads ain't only for revolvers! I have used a Winchester Trapper with .44 magnum shot-load, with #9 shot in a Speer capsule, on a bull moose that is perhaps on the verge of entering my swimming pool AGAIN!
    Last year, our swimming season was shortened by a big bull moose who entered the pool and put his hooves right thru the liner!
    This year,the first time I saw a bull moose, I whopped him in the butt, and it was 3 weeks before he returned. He hasn't returned at all, since I whopped him in the butt the second time. The neat thing is that the plastic shot capsules and the #9 shot-loads get his attention without doing any serious damage. If I had a moose tag, the damage would be much more serious and I would use a different boolit! By the way, my whole place is surrounded by a 4 foot barbed wire fence that Bullwinkle just steps over!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Moderator Emeritus

Joe, sounds like ya' wandered into a real nest of 'em!

And Shuz, we don't have much of a problem with meese down here in th' swamps, but ANY animal CAN learn if ya' just provide th' right motivations.

It's been a long time now, but lots of you have .45 LC's. I had a Ruger years ago, and wish I still had it. It was an OM, and was a real honey, EXCEPT for the fact that it had the small throat, large bore problem, which I didn't understand at the time, so I traded it off. Wish I had it back, but I got a small number of brass that had been made from 9.3x72R IIRC. I think the rims had been thinned down to fit, and they were cut off just short enough to fit the full length of the cylinders, almost to the face of the cylinder. They held a darn good sized charge of shot, and worked really great - better than anything I've used before or since. BEing longer than the actual chamber of the cylinders, the taper at the throat seemed to act as a little bit of choke, and center of patterns was denser than anything I've tried before or since, though i haven't experimented all that much with shot loads.

I've also heard of, but never tried, cutting off .410 shotshells the same way, but can't say if they'll provide the same "choke effect" or not, being plastic. Since they can be picked up for free if you know someone who shoots a .410 and doesn't reload the shells, it's always worth a try, though.

Those 9.3x72's were worth getting a box of 20, I think. FWIW?

Banned

While I still appreciate everyone's "what works for me" posts, I still see that most everyone still misses the point I made in the beginning. What works for ME, is something that leaves my bore clean so I can still count on the next round going on target without cleaning between. I don't get that with the gas-check and fillerup method. In my OP I outlined all the other methods I tried and explained the shortcomings I found after trying each one, and how I developed this method to solve those problems.

BW, some revolvers will chamber a .410 shell and some won't, depends on the diameter of the rim counterbore. I did it and think it's pretty much a waste of time due to loss of shot capacity.

Gear

Gear , thanks for your work and sharing , Now just find someone to mass produce these units !??
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Blackwater, we did get into a "nest" of them. I went back a week or 2 weeks later, (can't remember) and there were 2 more of them in the same spot. One of them got away.

I know this is a old post and all. but I just found it by another post and was thinking about what Gear OP was and of how it can be done. But Gear made it easy for me to think of how to go about doing it. There is one thing I like to ask is for each of the cart., what would be the starting load of powder to use.I have longshot and others.Unless I miss of how much to start with.Thank you
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I used a set of dies for the 45 shot shell. We cut some wads from a milk carton. The end crimps like a 22 shot shell and they feed thru an auto. I loaded some 357 shot loads, no 8 shot, gas check over powder, up side down, and one over the shot crimped and elmers glue sealing it. I never saw a snake twitch after being hit with it. I believe you might get more pressure from a shot charge than a single bullet, weighing the same. The shot might jam together and expand as it goes down the barrel. No scientifice evidence, just observation.

Boolit Master

this is a great post ! good ideas and pictures....I think dispatching the local rattlers up here in the North Central Cascades would be more fun with a pistol loaded with shot than with my trusty .410
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Never made anything other than loaded 11 #5-shot pellets in a speer 35cal blue capsule and loaded them in 357 cases. Used them at the skeet range with a 6" bbl'd 586. Man I sucked!!! Could only break 6 to 8 birds out of 25 on the skeet range. I could run 25's with a 20ga and a 410. Darn 586 played hell with me, I called it 50/50.

50% me and 50% the 1000fps load. Tried pushing the speer capsules harder and they blew out. I shot countless 1000's of 1200fps loads on the skeet and trap fields. Just couln't get the leads right with the 1000fps load of the 357/speer shot capsules.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Never made anything other than loaded 11 #5-shot pellets in a speer 35cal blue capsule and loaded them in 357 cases. Used them at the skeet range with a 6" bbl'd 586. Man I sucked!!! Could only break 6 to 8 birds out of 25 on the skeet range. I could run 25's with a 20ga and a 410. Darn 586 played hell with me, I called it 50/50.

50% me and 50% the 1000fps load. Tried pushing the speer capsules harder and they blew out. I shot countless 1000's of 1200fps loads on the skeet and trap fields. Just couln't get the leads right with the 1000fps load of the 357/speer shot capsules.
    You did not miss because the speed difference between 1000 and 1200 fps required a significant change in leads. BTW, not many target shotgun shooters run 1200 fps. That is the speed of a Heavy Target load....the load I use for Trap Handicap.

You missed due to pattern...or shall we say lack of such.

BTW, #5 shot is not permitted on most skeet fields and would be a poor choice even with the payload in a 12 ga.

Don Verna

Anybody have 24ga, 28ga, or 32ga plastic shot shell wads? What size brass with those fit in?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Yes, but they will only hold about 100 grains of #9 shot, if you decide to try it I would highly recommend #12 shot to keep the pattern density. These are for close-range (inside of 10 feet) anyway, just not as effective as .357. Any snake beyond 10 feet isn't really a threat unless it's right around my house, so extreme range isn't necessary IMO.

Gear
    come on now you know any snake over 10' you get the 45-70 out
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast