WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it

Boolit Mold

What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it

What size is shot "dust" and where can I get it?

I already sprung for a BPI 11 pound bag of #12 shot; I really like the results in 38 and 357 cases. I wanted to try dust for amusement factors.

Seems like there is little to no information on the interwebs regarding this.

Great board here...

Chris

Boolit Man
    Before lead shot was banned in many public areas, Lead dust could be bought. It was generally considered to be .048" or less. It is dangerous to inhale and for the environment. It will also coat your clothing, meaning you will bring it into your home. Kids have been found to have high levels of lead in them because, dad brought it home from working at a gun range. I do not think Lead dust is available in the US anymore nor would I recommend you firing it out of any firearms. As for other types of dust, with such a small market for it, I doubt you can find it either.

Boolit Master
    Believe me... Uncooked Rice... muy effective...

BTW the old "dust" that I had, was Not really Dust at all... very fine shot.. looks alot like Ball Powder...

Boolit Master
    #12 is about as small as you can reasonably go, unless you want to shoot salt.

12 works on snakes and rats up close, but #9 has a lot further reach and no less lethality.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    #12 is about as small as you can reasonably go, unless you want to shoot salt.

12 works on snakes and rats up close, but #9 has a lot further reach and no less lethality.
    I don't shoot snakes here... But, If I lived in FL, I would use my usual Rat medicine.. 44 spl, Speer Capsules, no7-1/2 shot.. or the 410 Contender.. No Wiggle Room.
    The rice goes in 38spl with card wads, for Sparrows in my Barn

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the replies. Given the lack of online information, I thought it was no longer available.

I seem to remember something about #14 shot, but that was many years ago and maybe I misremember. I'll give bird seeds or rice a try. #12 shot is really nice stuff, and a little bit goes a long way.

Chris

The stuff inside those little folded crimp .22 bird shots shells is pretty small, don't know the size though.
    I remember melting some lead as a kid and kind of shaking it as it cooled, and it turned into a kind of powder but not quite.

Boolit Mold
    The .22 long rifle shot shells are loaded with #12 shot. I've not seen them loaded with any other size than that.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m not overly worried about lead, but I would stay away from lead dust. I did have a bad experience when sweeping up an indoor range, while collecting the lead.

Boolit Master

I have herd the term a number of times. I always assumed #12. Thats what I use and its fine. Many moons ago When Sportsmans Warehouse first started mail Order catalogue's I nought a bottle. Its still going!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Here is a picture of what my lead "dust" looks like. Dipping the micrometer into the pile and screwing down I come up with 0.040"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF5052.JPG  
    Last edited by pete501; 04-09-2023 at 07:06 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I hhave seen many reloading sources refer to #12 shot referred to as "dust". GW

Boolit Master
    Tomkat,

After I retired in 1996, I experimented with shot loads in handgun calibers. We have Copperheads and Rattlers hereabouts. I settled on #7.5 shot for all uses. Be sure to ALWAYS wear eye protection because handgun shot BOUNCES Back!

Adam

Boolit Master
    Museums used to use various dust shot loads for collecting small critters including things that crawled and flew. i remember a box for such loads in the back rooms of the field museum in Chicago when I was an undergraduate. The box was very old and in .32 caliber.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Tomkat,

After I retired in 1996, I experimented with shot loads in handgun calibers. We have Copperheads and Rattlers hereabouts. I settled on #7.5 shot for all uses. Be sure to ALWAYS wear eye protection because handgun shot BOUNCES Back!

Adam
    I believe number nine is a little too small penetration wise on water moccasins. I may try reloading in 7.5 shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I hhave seen many reloading sources refer to #12 shot referred to as "dust". GW
    However...Dust is much different from #12... as it looks less like Shot, and much more like Ball Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Tomkat,

Adam
    For tough critters, Large Snakes (which we gots none that are Dangerous in My part of the Rhubarb patch)or them Barn Yard Rats... some large as a Possum... #7-1/2, please...from years of experience..

Oh... and Not out of anything smaller than a 44Spl,...again from experience...won't anchor the Buggers..

One more Edit, If you think you have a Good "shot" load...shoot a red squirrel... If ya drop him right where he is...you may be onto something!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I remember shooting 22lr birdshot as a kid. I couldn’t kill anything with it. I think it must have been smaller than #12.

Boolit Grand Master

22LR birdshot is/was normally 12 shot. Remington made a smoothbore 22LR. It patterned OK. Out of rifled barrels you need to be really close to be effective.

I have never saw a printed reference for shot smaller than 12.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I’m sure you are right. As a kid, I couldn’t help prying one open a couple of times. I remember they were tiny. I said to myself, that’s why it wouldn’t kill anything.

Boolit Buddy

Have 30+ pounds of this stuff. Measured with mics it runs about .040 or smaller. Hard to measure. Most of this was used as ballast in exercise equipment, but a small portion came from one of the ballast bags that the old Garmin GPS used. Have not loaded or shot any of it. Back in the 70's, worked with a guy in Virginia that was showing me pictures in a magazine of people loading small shot/dust in the plastic shot cartridges and hunting grasshoppers with them. He told about loading shot in the cci shot shells and shooting empty cans while in the air, not telling the other guys he had shot shells instead of bullets, proving he was a better shot. His father owned a construction company in one of the towns across the James River from Newport News Va. but can't remember his name. We have grasshoppers that get to 1 1/2 in long here in the late summer, so guess it is feasible to shoot big insects with the dust. Have thought about loading some in my 38 spl carpenter bee loads and trying them but the walnut media does a really good job. Have dispatched a couple of small " mister no shoulders " with the walnut media as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast