Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best way to clean out a lubrisizer?

Boolit Grand Master

I torch it. Just gotta keep the flame moving.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I have always just used a heat gun and have been happy with the results. Quick, safe, and neat. Just need to have it in a container to catch the melted lube...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Last summer I cleaned out an old Lyman 45 by putting the body of it in a coffee can of water on the Coleman stove on about medium heat. It never had to boil. the lube, which I think was the old-time black Lyman lube, was pretty soft so it started oozing out of the lubsizer and floated well before boiling point. Turn off the heat and skim the lube off the water and keep it if you want. I didn't use any detergent, and the parts didn't seem overly greasy; a little will prevent rust. No mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have cleaned several lubesizes in boiling water.Got a cheep pot from wallmart.Strip enough parts off the sizer so the lube can get out. Fill with water a few drops of dish soap.put the sizer in.i use my smelting burner.bring to a boil.i use large adjustable pliers to swish the sizer around to make sure the lube is all out.Blow off the water let dry done deal.
    Exactly this!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master
    I once cleaned 1-45 and 2-450 using the boiling water method, one at a time. Worked great. Stripped all three. A large aluminum pot, gas burner, and plain water. All the old lube came out and floated to the top; beeswax/alox. Afterwards, I just let the pot cool, and the lube just solidified on top of the water. I still have it in a plastic bag. The sizers were left squeaky clean inside and out. Works well for the sizing dies also. Functionally, like starting out with new.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Thank goodness i use the same lube for everything. And have never considered how to clean one out . I would think a heat gun would work.
    Until you run into a stick of lube that is defective. Recently put in a stick that turned out to be for lack of a better description, crunchy. It would not flow at all. It just crumbled out of the lube grooves.

Time to clean the sizer. I have an infared heat bulb left over from the farm when we bought day old chicks and had to keep them warm. That, mounted and aimed at the sizer with a waste basket under the sizer took about 45 minutes to completely melt all the lube out. Just make sure you take out the sizer die. Regular light bulbs would do, just take a little longer.

Boolit Master
    Just a little FYI.If you use a propane torch,use the"Flame Spreader"tip.Much better that the small round one.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12