Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your views on Wolf primers

Boolit Buddy

Question Whats your views on Wolf primers

If you can find them, they are very inexpensive. but why are they not tested in reloading manuals.
    Thanks for all your answers.

Boolit Mold
    Ive used almost 10K of them in both LP and SP and have
    had no problems. Im beginning to really like them and
    may keep using them even after supplies return to normal.

Boolit Buddy
    If I could find some locally I would try them. I have used thousands of the Magtech brand with no problems, and those never get listed in manuals either.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn44 View Post
    If you can find them, they are very inexpensive. but why are they not tested in reloading manuals.
    Thanks for all your answers.
    My first guess as to why not tested is that there is no ties to the parent company of the testers. I don't think Hornady/Lyman/Hodgden/ etc buy their primers from gun shows.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I like them for target and plinking loads. I have had a few misfires, but its hard to tell if its me or the primer. I only say this as I have not had a misfires yet with any of the Fed, Rem, or Win primers as of yet.
    "And finally, the Baby Bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!"

Boolit Master

I use them interchangeably with Winchester LP primers (Wolf LP) and have never had a problem with them. I like them and the Chronograph can't tell the difference. I use them in 45acp, 10mm and cast loads in 7.5X55 and 308. I've never had a failure to go bang.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Im a primer purest.

I only use a few types, and would never try a discount primer.

I use Rem 9.5s, Federal Match, and CCI 34

Thats it
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    They have some of the best results I've ever seen with standard grade primers. Very consistent. Just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are sub par.

Boolit Master
    I have used several thousand of them in LP size with excellent results and no duds. Speaking about primer problems the only primers I have ever had problems with were federal small rifle primers and remington large rifle primers. The federal primers had blow outs in the radius of the primer cup that resulted in gas cutting of my bolt head on my AR 15 (it was the same load that I had fired several thousand of before this occurred). Federal replaced both my bolt head and the primers that were defective. I use very little remington primers as every time I bought a thousand of them I experienced duds. Not many but a couple per thousand. Every time I investigated I found an anvil that had no piercings to let the flame through as a result I do not buy remington primers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    They have some of the best results I've ever seen with standard grade primers. Very consistent. Just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are sub par.
    I have tried them w/ good results. Mnay though are complaining about reliability issues. At the current $$ exchange rate, they are not cheaper than other brands, but they are available. Wolf are not used for domestic ammo production, One reason all the others are in short supply. Manuf. use the majority of their primer production for ammo first & sell the surplus to reloaders.

Boolit Master
    All I have used were as good as the others, anyhow that is all I have been able to find lately.

I've not used Wolf but had a brick of Magtech that worked perfectly.

Boolit Buddy
    Great primers for plinking ammo!

I use 'em in 223, 45 ACP, and 38 special with good results. Not the most accurate, but they go bang reliably & safely.

I'll continue to buy them in the future. I'll use Federal or Winchester for more accurate ammo, but WOLF works good for plinking ammo.

Purchased 10k large pistol.........used 4k so far. I really like them for .45acp and .45 colt plinkers. I have been saving my WLP's for magnum loads and haven't even tried wolf for that application.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Im a primer purest.

I only use a few types, and would never try a discount primer.

I use Rem 9.5s, Federal Match, and CCI 34

Thats it

who told you it was a "discount" primer ??

where has that been posted by the maker/marketer ??

it was a discounted price to break into the market, but not a discounted primer........
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by inuhbad View Post
    Great primers for plinking ammo!

I use 'em in 223, 45 ACP, and 38 special with good results. Not the most accurate, but they go bang reliably & safely.

I'll continue to buy them in the future. I'll use Federal or Winchester for more accurate ammo, but WOLF works good for plinking ammo.

so 'splain to me ???
    why do benchrest shooters use them if they and not the most accurate ?

why do long range(palma and 600/1000 br) shooters use them if they are so bad ??

like any change in component, one must work up a load, not just switch out one part.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

I seen the writing on the wall and purchased quit a few Wolfe primers at $90/5000. Back a year or two ago. I have shot quite a few of them and many over the chrony. Very good SD ES with groups as good as any other primer. I am amazed at reports of duds. None for me.Some do seem to seat tight and mebbe folks are not getting them seated well? The only complaint I have is the LPM are not "hotter" at least not much. A load with WC 820 that was not reliable with standard primers was a bit better with the Wolfe LPMag and worked great with
    fed mag.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mroliver77 View Post
    I seen the writing on the wall and purchased quit a few Wolfe primers at $90/5000. Back a year or two ago. I have shot quite a few of them and many over the chrony. Very good SD ES with groups as good as any other primer. I am amazed at reports of duds. None for me.Some do seem to seat tight and mebbe folks are not getting them seated well? The only complaint I have is the LPM are not "hotter" at least not much. A load with WC 820 that was not reliable with standard primers was a bit better with the Wolfe LPMag and worked great with
    fed mag.
    Jay
    Where did you find them for that price? I think yu need to fill us Wolf users in...
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Have you ever had any problems seating them. They look like they are a deeper primer than winchester.
    Whoever Smelt it, Delt it -----Greenhorn44

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Boolit Buddy
    They're just fine. To date I've burned about 3,000. There were two misfires- about the same as with WW over the same period/volume. Likely as not I didn't seat them well.

I'd be willing to bet Mike in Co is correct. We're a brand-loyal crowd. I believe it would have taken many years for the Russians to break into the US market with reloading components to the degree they've done- even at deep discount. The Great Scare sped things up for them. I do believe they'll remain a bit cheaper than the legacy brands (legacy brand components? You heard it here first!) only because they are positioning themselves there now. They won't discount their product to the point of being percieved as inferior though (a reasonable market definition of 'discount').

Tom
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast