RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning boolit lube off of finished ammo

Banned

Cleaning boolit lube off of finished ammo

How are you folks doing it?

When using traditional lubes (Carnauba red, Felix, etc.) I always end up with a little residue around the case mouth and in my seating/crimping dies and it takes me longer to clean this off with solvent and a rag than it does to load the ammo.

I've tried post-tumbling with clean dry cob and even tried adding a couple capfulls of mineral spirits, all it does is leave media dust stuck to the lube.

I'm assuming everyone has this problem, any tips on speeding up the process? I'm talking mostly straight-wall pistol ammo with no exposed lube grooves loaded with carbide sizers, so no case lube to deal with.

Gear

Boolit Master
    The only way I've take care of this is to take a dry rag (actually the blue disposable shop rags from Wal-Mart) in one hand and hold the head of the case with the bullet nose down in the other and twist the nose of the round back and forth before putting them in their boxes. Not to fancy of an idea I know and doesn't take too long.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    The only way I've take care of this is to take a dry rag (actually the blue disposable shop rags from Wal-Mart) in one hand and hold the head of the case with the bullet nose down in the other and twist the nose of the round back and forth before putting them in their boxes. Not to fancy of an idea I know and doesn't take too long.
    That's exactly what I've been doing, except with a mist of MS from a spray bottle on a well-used red shop rag (less lint on worn rags from many trips through the wash). Doing this with 200 .38 specials is a major PITA. There has to be a better way.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Well if I properly bell my case mouth, I certainly don't have this issue.

On the occasions I haven't done so and do, I too use a rag.

Boolit Buddy
    I do as above - just wipe down the cases/bullets after they're loaded. I use a dry rag or paper towel.

Last step before they go in the box is a wipe down with an old tee shirt.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

that's how I do it! old used up tee shirt!

Boolit Master
    I use an old cotton rag and heat the cases a bit with a hair dryer---just warm them up a bit, not hot. The bullet lube then is easily removed.

Boolit Buddy

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    How are you folks doing it?

When using traditional lubes (Carnauba red, Felix, etc.) I always end up with a little residue around the case mouth and in my seating/crimping dies and it takes me longer to clean this off with solvent and a rag than it does to load the ammo.

I've tried post-tumbling with clean dry cob and even tried adding a couple capfulls of mineral spirits, all it does is leave media dust stuck to the lube.

I'm assuming everyone has this problem, any tips on speeding up the process? I'm talking mostly straight-wall pistol ammo with no exposed lube grooves loaded with carbide sizers, so no case lube to deal with.

Gear
    Post-tumbling? you should not tumble the round after loading. If the round does not discharge while tumbling, the tumbling can alter the powder and its burn rate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    Post-tumbling? you should not tumble the round after loading. If the round does not discharge while tumbling, the tumbling can alter the powder and its burn rate.
    I have heard of this before, especially with powders like trail boss where it can crumble/break down. I haven't done the tumble thing as I am paranoid enough as it is. .

Rob

Boolit Master
    What I've done and has worked extremely well is to damp a paper towel with acetone. I grab a finished cartridge in one hand, hold the towel in the other hand, and give the cartridge a few quick twists back and forth. Comes out nice and shiny/clean.

Boolit Master

I do the same as outdoorfan except with a pink shop rag. Acetone works well, a little Hoppes #9 will also work.

Banned
    I use an orange based cleaner and a rag. De-solv-it works real well and SWMBO does not reject the smell like she does other solvents.

Boolit Master

I use Ed's Red on a rag to clean up my completed rounds and then they go into an ammo can or a zip lock bag and then into another container. All the work that I do is not going to be spoiled by a buncha dust and other **** to mess up my work.

This is the last inspection of my rounds. Here is where the rubber meets the road and any suspect round is broken down if it fails to meet my expectations.

I sometimes get a mite of buildup of lead near the case mouth if I do not keep the dies clean and failed to open up the case mouth enough prior to inserting a lead boolit. In a .45 ACP this will cause a malfunction expecially if the weapon has been fired a couple of hundred times without cleaning.

I have never found a split .45 case but some have an enlarged primer pocket and those get scrapped when I am priming them. If it goes in too easily then the case is about on it's last legs.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

The easy way is to get a hand towel, dampen it a little with mineral spirits, fold the towell lengthwise, then put the loaded rounds in the towel. Grasp each end and shoe shine the cases back and forth and they will be clean in a heart beat. This works really good when you have 4 or 500 to do.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Dry paper towel, same as I use for the excess lube on the bases. When it gets grungy, toss it!

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I throw them in a can of water and bring it to a boil. Empty the hot water off the
    boolits after about 15 minutes and whatever is left wipes right off with a paper towel or
    there is so little left just throw them in the pot. I'm using Magma hard lube but I would
    imagine it works fine for most lubes. I just recently did about 200-300 that I finally got
    around to re-using.

For ALL my high volumn loads and MOST other applications I use a lube that isn't tacky and doesn't transfer from/to everything I touch, but every time I mention it here someone has to remind me of the folly of using "hard, commercial, crayon" lube and how it's continued use will cause my friends and family to turn their backs on me, how I'll single-handedly deplete the Ozone Layer and how all my kids will be born nekid...not to mention the severe damage to my fine collectible guns and the poor groups I'll be ashamed to show my mother.

All that is a small price to pay to have the range all to myself when all the other shooters flee in disgust. And then there's nobody left there to criticize when all my shots don't go through the exact same hole. And I think Mom will still love me anyway.

I used to deal with tacky lube and tried several different methods to remove the residue. I cleaned them with a solvent dampened rag. I tumbled the loaded rounds.(it will affect the powder, but the change is consistant and predictible) But when you're loading 2 to 3K rounds a week for USPSA competition and practice, all that gets a bit old rather quickly.

Now, even though I don't shoot nearly as much, I still use the same methods. Boolits go through the sizer directly into the box they'll be stored in/used from and loaded rounds go from the catch bin on the press into storage boxes. Match ammo will eventually go into 100 round ammo boxes where I can recheck them for high primers. Brass and boolits get a final visual inspection when the go from the box to the magazine or speed loader.

I still use a couple of different soft lubes for some applications but quantities are usually fairly small and cleaning the finished cartridges doesn't seem to be much of a chore since I know it isn't necessary for everything I load.

Lots of different ways to get the job done, but it seems to me the best way is to eliminate the job.

Jerry

Boolit Master
    This has been debated numerous times and some even went as far as to tumble the ammo for extended periods of time and found no differences. Imagine how much shaking the powder gets on a truck from L.A. CA to NYC.
    According to several forums this is a myth.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master

I assume that this is for your auto ammo. For the revolvers, I just put them into my MTM cases and when I'm on the range, they come out of the MTM case and into the cylinder (shot as are).
    I'll take the time to wipe off the noses of the auto rounds with an old wash cloth if they are obviously lubed up.
    EW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast