Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swaging .224 cal bullets - Part2

Will Larry Blackmon dies (.224) fit in a regular Rock Chucker press or is the thread size to large?

Thanks
    Skip

Arguing with an Idiot makes you an idiot

My Grandpa

Boolit Bub

Blackmon dies

Larry's conversion for the RC is a modified ram, punch holder and ejection pin. The actual dies will work in both the RC and BSSP. Bullets are ejected on the upstroke of the handle - no tapping out with a mallet. A hole is drilled in the base of the press for the ejector pin. He will supply a jig and drill bit or do the job for you.

If you convert a RC or buy a BSSP system, get 3 punch holders - set them and leave them instead of changing all the time. I got 3 with the BSSP setup after using it a bit, makes life just a little easier.

You will need 2 core seater punches if you plan to use 22 hulls and commercial jackets - different thickness of the jacket. BE REAL SURE TO ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT PUNCH FOR THE JACKET!

Which to chose? I had the RC setup already and just wanted something different.
    May have my other RC converted to Larry's system, then swage cores on 1, seat cores on another and point up bullets on the BSSP.

Doing it again? Rock Chuckers all the way.

Swage On!

Jim

Thanks Jim. Your info was what I needed. I will probably go RC also. I am in the process of making a custom handle to give me some added pressure also.
    Skip

My Grandpa

Boolit Bub

Rc

The only part that is anything like difficult is de-rimming 22 hulls. By adjusting the die, it is a one hand operation both times, if you are standing up.

Other operations are easy is as easy does. I expected core swaging to be a grunt and strain deal, no sweat. Core seating and point forming are a breeze. Don't need extra leverage which might reduce your "feel". That "feel" is developed with practice and can tell you if something is wrong before something messes up big time.

Blackmon dies screw into the modified, shortened ram. The ejector pin operates in the ram. Punch holders screw into the top of the press like reloading dies. These punch holders won't fit a BSSP.

Either system will serve you well for years to come if kept CLEAN. Another story there.

If I can help you in any way, PM me. I think I'm registered.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Jim,

I was considering purchasing some of Blackmon's punch holders to use in my Corbin press. In your post you mention that the punch holders for the modified RC won't fit a BSS press. Does he make 2 sizes?

Can you give me the dimensions of a external punch so I can compare my Corbin M die punches to see if the BSS punch holder will work for me?

Thanks,
    Dan

Boolit Bub

Punch Holders

Blackmon punch holders for the RC won't fit the BSSP.

He does make 2 sizes. Right now I can't get to mine to measure.

Let him know which Corbin press you are using and he will furnish the correct holder.

Larry is a good guy to deal with.

Do you have his address?

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Master
    Yes I have his address.

I have a Dave Corbin S Press. My current punch holder is 7/8 14 thread. The M die punch heads are .498" diameter and about .375" long. The S punch heads are .498" diameter and about .750" long. I was just wondering if they would fit in one of the holders Larry makes.

jdjframes,

Can you post some pictures of the BSSP press? Larry's pdf doesn't make it look to clear on it's looks.

Thanks
    Skip

My Grandpa

Boolit Master

I have a Corbin CSP press with Blackmon dies - I prefer Blackmon punch holders over the Corbins, more and easier adjustments can be made as his have a "micrometer" like adjustment knob on top, not just the external 7/8-14 die threads. Corbin may do 'em different now - mine are older. But, yeah, get a least 3 of 'em !

Boolit Bub

BSSP Pictures

Skip:

Will have to get my son to take shots and post for me. Be a day or two.

I can do lots of things better than the average bear - photography isn't one of them.

Swage On!

Jim

No problem and thanks for you help
    Skip

My Grandpa

Boolit Master
    Thanks shooterg, this is what I need.

Have you used Corbin punches in the hold too?

Boolit Bub

BSSP Punch Holders

Gang:

Swaged some little 35 grain bullets tonight. Finished and as I put things away, I just tried the punch holders for the BSSP in my RC.

Guess what? They fit and reloading dies fit the BSSP. Sometime between printing his brochure and making my press, Larry must have gone to 7/8x14 threads for the punch holders.

Opens a whole new ballgame for de-rimming 22 hulls. If Larry will make a de-rimming pin to fit the BSSP, a tough job will be lots easier. Jury rigged what I have and it is a snap. Need to be able to screw the pin into the ram and be home free.

Swage On!

Jim
    Last edited by jdjframes; 03-03-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Boolit Bub

BSSP Punch Holders

Guess it is good thing to read, and study, brochures to be sure to understand exactly what the writer was saying.

Sorry if I steered anyone wrong about BSS, Inc punch holders; they fit any 7/8x14 reloading press as well the BSSP. Don't know about Corbin stuff.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Bub

Photos of BSSP

Skip:

Trying to pin the son down is like trying to pick up an eel, very difficult.

Will try to get some shots soon.

Swage On!

Jim

Thanks for remembering. Anytime, I'm in no hurry
    Skip

My Grandpa

Boolit Bub

BSSP pictures

Skip:

Between working full-time and going to college full-time, his time is a little thin.

Good young man. He will get it.

BSSP is horizontal rig, links run from toggle to press head, like a Redding Ultra Mag press. Ram travel is approximately 2 inches. Punch holders are 7/8 x 14 as is press head, naturally. Dies screw into the ram with a 5/8x20 (I think) thread. Ejector runs in ram so cored jackets or formed bullets are ejected as handle is raised. For the sake of cheap, I use my Hempstead core swage die in a RC. No sweat job.

Neat little set up, swages .224 bullets with ease. The slightest little difference in pressure is easily detected and that cored jacket or formed bullet is set aside as a junker.

Swage On!

Jim

Boolit Bub
    Really great work!!!

I īm very astonished what one can do by swaging!!

What do you use for jacket if you want to make 30 caliber bullets?

Boolit Bub
    closebutnocigar:

Probably best to buy J4 or other commercial jackets. There are lots of posts by people using some small cailber cases for jackets. Might be OK, haven't tried it.

Jim

Boolit Bub
    How heavy are this bullets, please?